• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake Review Thread

Associate
In a way I'm glad it's not much of a difference to the 4790K since I got one new for £215 a couple months ago, but slightly strange that there is very little improvement in per core performance.

I guess there is no 'need' for any major leaps, AMD has been well and truly left in the dirt with nothing competitive to trouble Intel with.

Don
The quality of the reviews so far are really disappointing. Going to reserve judgement until some decent reviews are completed, particularly on the overclocking side of things as the ones up so far have said anything between 4.4 - 5.0 GHz, but I'm betting it's on the lower side as they had a bit more detail on overclocking side of things.

Soldato
It's a flop, sorry to say but more reviews won't save it.

Only way to judge average OCing potential on large scale will be for a decent amount of forumites to buy it but ah... catch 22?

Soldato
some of the overclocking reviews, with same overclock as 4790k , seem quite good,

i myself have a AMD 8350, im only looking to game, looks like i have 2 choices i7 6700k or i7 5820k ,

the motherboards for the 5820k are expensive also it will use more electric then the 6700k,

i understand people who already have decent i7 processors its not big jump, but im coming from a AMD 8350 ,

Caporegime
This is what happens when a company has no competition. AMD seriously need to pull their finger out. Looks like i will be keeping my 3770k at 4.5ghz for a while longer yet : /

Last edited:
Permabanned
Starting to think Intel doesn't want my money.

Had the itch to upgrade for 2 years now but the performance inscrease is still not big enough over my 2500k.

I split up with my partner, dated a new person, got married and moved abroad for a year .. Came back.. Put a deposit on a house in this space of time. Cone on Intel!

Soldato
Only reason am considering it is because of gigabytes buy one get two offer, and as I have a g1 wibni bk, should be able to trade for the gaming g1 (as there seem to be no black boards)

If I can do that though, maybe would be better off trading, selling the new board and going x99... Ridiculous pricing.

Soldato
Still might consider it myself (itch to scratch and all that). But will wait for the I7-6700K to come down a bit, as it most likely will once some of the other BIG stores start to get supplies later in the month (around the £260/270 price feels about right). There's some decent looking motherboards coming up (and not too badly priced) and DDR4 coming down price wise quite nicely now. Couple it with a nice shiny new m2 SSD and I'll be happy. No pockets in a shroud, that's my motto :):):)

Soldato
everyone seems to keep pointing at the X99 5820k, but the boards are very expensive

from someone coming from a AMD 8350, i think the skylake 6700k is a good upgrade

Associate
everyone seems to keep pointing at the X99 5820k, but the boards are very expensive

from someone coming from a AMD 8350, i think the skylake 6700k is a good upgrade

I'm upgrading from 8350 as well.

Some x99 boards are expensive but as I'm going mATX the gigabyte x99m gaming 5 at £150 is very well priced and bundled with the 5820k is a really tempting £413 on Overclockers:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-015-GI&groupid=701&catid=6

Asus gene VIII z170 is £170 and 6700k £265.

Things drawing me towards Skylake is the fact that it is brand new, might perform better in games (my main use) and use less electricity/require lower wattage PSU (not sure on last one, thoughts?).

To be honest mate I think coming from 8350 either will make a fair difference.

Soldato
I'm upgrading from 8350 as well.

Some x99 boards are expensive but as I'm going mATX the gigabyte x99m gaming 5 at £150 is very well priced and bundled with the 5820k is a really tempting £413 on Overclockers:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-015-GI&groupid=701&catid=6

Asus gene VIII z170 is £170 and 6700k £265.

Things drawing me towards Skylake is the fact that it is brand new, might perform better in games (my main use) and use less electricity/require lower wattage PSU (not sure on last one, thoughts?).

To be honest mate I think coming from 8350 either will make a fair difference.

exact same postion, the ATX sized x99 boards are expensive and then it will use more electric , run hotter ? the Asus Z170 PRO GAMING Skylake board is around £120 , skylake will use less electric, run cooler probably, i only game ,

wait till its instock somewhere around £263.99, i know coming from a AMD 8350 is will be a big leap,

Permabanned
Really disappointed with those benchmarks, I was holding out building a gaming rig waiting for the skylake, but I may just go with the devils canyon now.

If you're doing a fresh build go with the newer gen. That way as well as the chip set advantages you'll also have some ddr4 ram for your next build after this one. I'm currently on a 4790k and it makes a great gaming rig but when I next upgrade I'll be forced to spend on new ram as well as the chip and board, That's around an extra 120 quid or so for 16 gb's of good stuff. That saving will look nice when your there in a few years time.

Soldato
Anyone noticed the gulf between the reviewer conclusions and enthusiasts opinions? It’s almost like both sides are looking at two different products.

One possible positive for the new Skylake chips (and I’ve only seen one review to confirm this) is Intel looks like they have been able to keep overclocked temps fairly reasonable I’ve not seen the massive spikes that you got with Ivy/Haswell.

Associate
I have an i7 860 at the moment, so where should I put my money? I just use the PC for gaming. The rest of the specs are in my sig.

4690k bundle? £255.

4790k bundle? £344.

Skylake i5 6600k? About £320 with motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom