• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
450W you would have a job running an overclocked 5960X on that.:eek:

Lol, you mean just the CPU?

Yeah I hadn't really though about it, just thought would give to them then remembered they are using 450W !

Got the 980 Ti on MM now. I'll pick them up something or give them a hand me down when we get a die shrink :p, won't need to swap out PSU then.

Caporegime
Is X99 that much more power hungry? I'll be firing together a 5820k based build this week to replace the setup in sig. I've got a 1000w sf platinum psu and might end up going sli 980ti at some point.

Associate
Is X99 that much more power hungry? I'll be firing together a 5820k based build this week to replace the setup in sig. I've got a 1000w sf platinum psu and might end up going sli 980ti at some point.

X99 is very power hungry. You can get away with a Gold/Platinum 1kW with SLI 980Tis and a 5820k.

Soldato
What SuperFlower was it? One with 100% Jap capacitors? I've yet to hear of whine with an SF.

Most high end PSUs have an eco mode (where the fans don't spin until over X% load/they hit X degrees), if that's what you mean? OC3D.net did a review of the 1200W Leadex a while back, it's here:

Skip to 13:30 or so when he starts talking about the fan.

No way. The G1 Gaming recommends 600W I think... But I personally wouldn't do 600W if any sort of overclocking is involved.

The 1200w SF I use is the one in the video you posted there. I've had 980 G1 Gaming SLI run from it, under water and completely silent. Having swapped my 980Ti G1 Gaming for the MSI there is no coil whine.

It's definitely an issue with the G1 Gaming 980Ti's.

Soldato
The 1200w SF I use is the one in the video you posted there. I've had 980 G1 Gaming SLI run from it, under water and completely silent. Having swapped my 980Ti G1 Gaming for the MSI there is no coil whine.

It's definitely an issue with the G1 Gaming 980Ti's.

guess be good to know people who run the G1 Gaming 980ti and no coil whine what PSU they running

Caporegime
Tbh I haven't bothered with uncore on the spec in sig, just a few benchmarks with cpu at 4.7 and a 4.5 uncore. For daily use its left at stock on manually lowered voltage, fir some reason the formula board on every bios I've used likes to whack 1.27v for stock 4000mhz uncore.

Soldato
Tbh I haven't bothered with uncore on the spec in sig, just a few benchmarks with cpu at 4.7 and a 4.5 uncore. For daily use its left at stock on manually lowered voltage, fir some reason the formula board on every bios I've used likes to whack 1.27v for stock 4000mhz uncore.

That's nothing - my Asrock set it at 1.4v (auto)

Soldato
What SuperFlower was it? One with 100% Jap capacitors? I've yet to hear of whine with an SF.
I have an EVGA Supernova G2 750W that's Super Flower OEM and I went through four 970s and three 980s that all had coil whine to varying degrees. In between those I used things such as a 270, two different 280Xs, a 290X and a GTX 570, none of which exhibited any whatsoever. I certainly believe that Maxwell cards are more prone to it based on my experience, regardless of how good the PSU is. Got lucky with my Palit 980 Ti though, thankfully.

Associate
I just did :)

My HD7950 does whine slightly under load. I think it is the card because the noise is coming from the coils on the card. I realise that in some cases, the PSU may be causing the GPU chokes to whine, but I don't think that's case with my PSU.

It would be interesting to know how many cases of coil whine are caused by the GPU as opposed to the PSU or MB. I'm guessing that the GPU is the culprit in the majority of cases.

Soldato
I have an EVGA Supernova G2 750W that's Super Flower OEM and I went through four 970s and three 980s that all had coil whine to varying degrees. In between those I used things such as a 270, two different 280Xs, a 290X and a GTX 570, none of which exhibited any whatsoever. I certainly believe that Maxwell cards are more prone to it based on my experience, regardless of how good the PSU is. Got lucky with my Palit 980 Ti though, thankfully.

was the coil whine coming from the cards or the PSU ? , mines coming from the PSU,

Back
Top Bottom