Home Made Naan Bread

Associate
After playing around with pizza dough this past year and being reasonably happy with my attempts, I fancy having a go at Naan.

The typical supermarket varieties are a far cry from what you get in your local restaurant and are often very "cakey", lacking the lovely taste and texture.

From my limited reading so far, the main challenge is the lack of a tandoor oven. I've seen a few different methods, some being placing directly on the hob itself, with others seeing you turn the pan upside down over the hob. Likewise for ingredients there appears to be a wide range of suggestions, including the natural yoghurt and honey.

So, anyone have any tried and tested recipes and methods?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had good results cooking them on a pizza stone with the oven at full whack. I'll see if I can find the recipe we use, I remember it has natural yogurt in but no honey.

Associate
I make it regularly just using the recipe that came with the bread maker (maybe adding or rolling in some garlic/corriander as well). The recipe is
1/2 tsp yeast
250g strong bread flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp veg oil,
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
100ml water.

I usually put it under a really hot grill on a really hot tray but need to get a cast iron pizza stone. Its loads better than all the ones you can buy from the super market, better than a few of the local indians round here but not quite on par with some which mainly is down to not having a tandoor at home.

Associate
This is by far the best way to make naan in the home without a tandoor. I have tried all ways and this one is brilliant.

http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=901 (you might have to join to see the video)

Well worth the effort,
file.php

Back
Top Bottom