• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Is the pump definitely working? Make sure the pump is plugged in and getting a full 12V from the MB fan header or a PSU cable with adapter. It's either that or there is bad contact between the cooler and the heatsink. Which card have you installed it on?

All good now, full load in the 40s (1.23mv 1515). Probably loose screws!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Temps before fitting @ idle on the desktop:
296luhf.gif
After fitting @ idle on the desktop: 33C degree difference :eek:
x6g1fl.gif
Got a very good deal on these...they cost me nothing effectively as I had a RMA refund on my credit card!
2s0g32a.jpg
MSI used way too much thermal paste its literally dripping with it this is straight after pulling it apart :( no wonder temps are so poor!
34hv347.jpg
The HSF is also totally unsuitable for 4K gaming unless you have extreme air cooling in your case. Its light & flimsy, was also spotted being used last year on a much lower TDP AMD GPU! No way is this suitable for high TDP under heavy load for long @ 4K IMO.
j0ek2r.jpg
Fitting takes about 20 mins. My case is a mid ATX Alienware Predator 2.0 with AlienFX full case lighting FX (software controlled 9 different internal/external lighting zones. Same type of system which is starting to be sold now in kits. I have only had this type of light system for 10 years ;)
k3slza.jpg
Just enough space at the front its getting a 120mm fan blasting cold air into the radiator. The air is always cold & the radiator is always cold its working well right now.
2ns05qo.jpg

n3kbxy.jpg
This 120mm side case fan is pulling cool air directly onto the GPU backplate from 1CM away & the backplate is very cool now & can even be touched! (before it would have burnt the skin off!!)
2iivrt4.jpg
Not much room due to how much hardware crammed in here (8HDD,s Xonar D2X) but it all fits & temps are very good now. Internal case temps have been lowered 10-15C due to no hot air being dumped into the case by the MSI HSF.
11qtms0.jpg
This is with the case side panel back on:
f40cqr.jpg

Idle temps with the case side panel back on:
jf9j7k.gif
GPU-Z render test:
mi2l20.gif
GPU-Z render test after 10 mins temps have only risen 4C. On the stock MSI HSF it would have risen 15-20C!!:
2j3ikbd.gif
Mad Max idle @4K:
4j8cjq.gif
after 10 mins gaming @ 4K. 5C difference. The MSI HSF would be around 80-86C at this stage approaching thermal throttling temps :eek:
t4u651.gif
Batman Arkham Knight @ 4K idle:
2lmwcw3.gif
Batman Arkham Knight @ 4K 10 mins. Temps have only risen 5C. The stock MSI HSF at this stage was approx 75C. 38C hotter :eek:

r08sub.gif
So overall I have seen case temps drop 10-15C. My CPU (Core i7-980X @ 3.46Ghz 12 cores) now goes to 45-50C under full load (it was 60C before). Everything in the case is touchable before the GPU backplate was too hot to touch & the PSU was also getting a little warm.

Under gaming its up to 50C cooler under full load @ 4K :eek: Now I can game in confidence & silence (the H55 fan is audible but not too bad I have several others to replace it with which are silent but for now will leave it and see how I get on otherwise my case is 100% silent from 1ft away.

If you have the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming (or any other air cooled 980 Ti) then this is a good way to reduce temps but if you only game @ 1080 you can get away with the stock HSF although it has way too much thermal paste on it for my liking the thing is literally drowning in it. For 4K I would not attempt that on this card unless you have extreme air cooling in your case or put the card under water or an AIO kit like this one. I also found my MSI HSF was actually slightly lose the screws were not properly tightened up. So not only did it have too much thermal paste the HSF assembly was not even fitted correctly by MSI :eek: no wonder my temps were so high!

I am struggling to make the GPU even reach 40C now @4K full monty on anything :D

Wow. What a result. I would have assumed it would go into the 50's with that setup, but that is seriously impressive. Makes me want one now, but I must resist until 14nm comes out!

Do you plan on overlocking, if so I wonder what temps would be when you do.

Permabanned
All good now, full load in the 40s (1.23mv 1515). Probably loose screws!

Good stuff. It can be quite daunting screwing them a bit tighter than usual as you subconsciously don't want to crack the dye.

That was BEFORE I fitted the G10 + H55 ;) the stock MSI HSF idles around 50-55C. Now mine idles in the low 20s.

Still was extremely high with the stock cooler, mine was never that much and I have the MSI Gaming also.

Before Temps - Ambient 22.5c

- Idle - 28c

After Temps - Ambient 23.5

- Idle - 22c

By the way is it safe to keep the pump between 60-80% ? Use Hardware Monitor for all my fans.

My H55 is plugged into the MB header so runs at 100%, can't hear the pump. My AP15's are running at 900rpm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow. What a result. I would have assumed it would go into the 50's with that setup, but that is seriously impressive. Makes me want one now, but I must resist until 14nm comes out!

Do you plan on overlocking, if so I wonder what temps would be when you do.
Will just leave to GPU Boost 2.0 for now its good enough for me @4K you do not notice a few% difference anyway ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Will just leave to GPU Boost 2.0 for now its good enough for me @4K you do not notice a few% difference anyway ;)

Really? I thought these cards were overclocking beasts? With those temps I would be tempted to see what is the most I can get out of it myself :D

4K is lovely though isn't it? :)

Have you ever had 144Hz or g-sync etc? How do you find it compares to 4k at 60Hz?

Soldato
Really? I thought these cards were overclocking beasts? With those temps I would be tempted to see what is the most I can get out of it myself :D

4K is lovely though isn't it? :)

Have you ever had 144Hz or g-sync etc? How do you find it compares to 4k at 60Hz?
4K is lovely your right ;) never tried 144Hz I like big monitors there are none which compare to my 40" Phillips 4K right now :D

As for overclocking yes & no really. On air I would be scared to oc too much. On full custom water is the way to go. AIO G10+H55 is ok but still after burning 2 GTX 980 Ti out on stock clocks @ 4K in Mad Max :( I am not going to be doing anything other than 60FPS 4K gaming with max details ;)

Soldato
I know. I was just saying. ;)

I'm aware of that but the GPU load is only 4% with his speeds going that fast.
I run Stardock Deskscapes in the background for video wallpaper. Some use more power than other depends how complex they are.

This is the current idle speed on the desktop.
33dzix1.gif

Associate

If it makes any difference, when I run 4K DSR with the G10+H75 setup on the MSI 6G and set GPU-Z to show the "Max" temperature I can get up to 57c. Still a 20c drop on the 79 odd that the default Twin Frozr cooler got up to so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Soldato

Sounds good. A lot better temps than before. Shows you how good water can be. Both my cards max out at under 40c after hours of 99% stressing at 1480mhz 1.255v :cool:.

Id let the 4k run for a good while to make sure there no issues with it as the water heats up over time until it reaches its equilibrium. Where it stays at a pretty much constant temperature. Will let you know how well everythings performing, rad, fans airflow etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
After an hour or so on Batman Arkham Knight it just reached 57C @4K. Still 20C better than stock HSF. That's with me also using another 120mm fan on the radiator temps are a bit higher now but its 300RPM less & silent vs could be heard beforea little but better temps overall.

I can trade off the extra temps for less noise its still well within spec if I only get to 60C even.

Caporegime
You'd get better Temps with a 750d and the rad mounted behind the front 140 intake. Ditch that case that looks to be a hand me down from moses and come into the modern era. :)

Soldato
You'd get better Temps with a 750d and the rad mounted behind the front 140 intake. Ditch that case that looks to be a hand me down from moses and come into the modern era. :)
Moses spoke & told me up a mountain in tablets of stone that case IS modern era ;)

Back
Top Bottom