• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Sounds to me that the card isn't getting any air and they shouldn't be "Burning out" as they have fail safes in place.

I think you're not telling us something, Over exaggerating or you're telling porkies.
Neither of the above :rolleyes: its 100% accurate :( the cards which burnt out were Inno3D X3 (on special offer this week I wonder why!!) not MSI BTW & that's with a 120mm case fan blowing cold air onto the backplate from 1cm away.

Both burnt out cards went under the backplate region it smelt strongly of burning days after. 1st card lasted 53 days of constant use @ 4K July to early Sept. Next card lasted 6 days before burning out in lower ambient temps.

Both times the cards were staying below 80C according to GPU-Z. I suspect the Inno3D bios was not activating the triple fans when it should as it was always silent even @ 4K for 10 hours on end in the blazing heat in July it was silent then 53 days later it burnt out.

Check back a few pages in this thread I posted pics of my side case fan as well.

Associate
How can a card burn out?

I have the Panteks Evolv ATX which has pretty poor airflow (imo) and the Lightning I have in it tops out at 75C with all the fans running on very low settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Neither of the above :rolleyes: its 100% accurate :( the cards which burnt out were Inno3D X3 (on special offer this week I wonder why!!) not MSI BTW & that's with a 120mm case fan blowing cold air onto the backplate from 1cm away.

Both burnt out cards went under the backplate region it smelt strongly of burning days after. 1st card lasted 53 days of constant use @ 4K July to early Sept. Next card lasted 6 days before burning out in lower ambient temps.

Both times the cards were staying below 80C according to GPU-Z. I suspect the Inno3D bios was not activating the triple fans when it should as it was always silent even @ 4K for 10 hours on end in the blazing heat in July it was silent then 53 days later it burnt out.

Check back a few pages in this thread I posted pics of my side case fan as well.

Is AWPC asia23fab in disguise?

Associate
May be a long shot but for those who have the G10/H55 on their cards, did you take any photos showing the process?

Been toying with the idea but don't know if it would be worth the hassle.

Permabanned
May be a long shot but for those who have the G10/H55 on their cards, did you take any photos showing the process?

I did not. There are plenty of videos on Youtube that shows how to fit it. If you have the MSI Gaming card then it's a direct fit. If you want to keep the backplate on then you do not install the foam pads on the G10 bracket.

Associate
That review paints the card in a very good light.
Also says that performance is the same on every decent 980Ti :p
But as far as looks go, is my favourite.

There's no hassle, just 20 minutes of work.
You can watch this one, you won't even need the nylon washers he uses.

If you have the MSI Gaming card then it's a direct fit. If you want to keep the backplate on then you do not install the foam pads on the G10 bracket.

You're talking about the foam on the small backplate or the two extra pads?
Will install mine in a few hours.

Permabanned
You're talking about the foam on the small backplate or the two extra pads?
Will install mine in a few hours.

If you just remove (or trim down) the included pad on the G10's backplate and remove the rubber washers from the thumbscrews, you'll have ample clearance. It will all make sense when you have the kit infront of you and when you begin to fit it.

I haven't watched that video yet but I believe the EVGA cards also needed a copper shim, it isn't required for the MSI.

Permabanned
I'm having pretty bad temps with the G10, it gets to 70 degrees ._.

Is the pump definitely working? Make sure the pump is plugged in and getting a full 12V from the MB fan header or a PSU cable with adapter. It's either that or there is bad contact between the cooler and the heatsink. Which card have you installed it on?

Last edited:
Soldato
Kraken G10 + Corsair H55

Temps before fitting @ idle on the desktop:
296luhf.gif
After fitting @ idle on the desktop: 33C degree difference :eek:
x6g1fl.gif
Got a very good deal on these...they cost me nothing effectively as I had a RMA refund on my credit card!
2s0g32a.jpg
MSI used way too much thermal paste its literally dripping with it this is straight after pulling it apart :( no wonder temps are so poor!
34hv347.jpg
The HSF is also totally unsuitable for 4K gaming unless you have extreme air cooling in your case. Its light & flimsy, was also spotted being used last year on a much lower TDP AMD GPU! No way is this suitable for high TDP under heavy load for long @ 4K IMO.
j0ek2r.jpg
Fitting takes about 20 mins. My case is a mid ATX Alienware Predator 2.0 with AlienFX full case lighting FX (software controlled 9 different internal/external lighting zones. Same type of system which is starting to be sold now in kits. I have only had this type of light system for 10 years ;)
k3slza.jpg
Just enough space at the front its getting a 120mm fan blasting cold air into the radiator. The air is always cold & the radiator is always cold its working well right now.
2ns05qo.jpg

n3kbxy.jpg
This 120mm side case fan is pulling cool air directly onto the GPU backplate from 1CM away & the backplate is very cool now & can even be touched! (before it would have burnt the skin off!!)
2iivrt4.jpg
Not much room due to how much hardware crammed in here (8HDD,s Xonar D2X) but it all fits & temps are very good now. Internal case temps have been lowered 10-15C due to no hot air being dumped into the case by the MSI HSF.
11qtms0.jpg
This is with the case side panel back on:
f40cqr.jpg

Idle temps with the case side panel back on:
jf9j7k.gif
GPU-Z render test:
mi2l20.gif
GPU-Z render test after 10 mins temps have only risen 4C. On the stock MSI HSF it would have risen 15-20C!!:
2j3ikbd.gif
Mad Max idle @4K:
4j8cjq.gif
after 10 mins gaming @ 4K. 5C difference. The MSI HSF would be around 80-86C at this stage approaching thermal throttling temps :eek:
t4u651.gif
Batman Arkham Knight @ 4K idle:
2lmwcw3.gif
Batman Arkham Knight @ 4K 10 mins. Temps have only risen 5C. The stock MSI HSF at this stage was approx 75C. 38C hotter :eek:

r08sub.gif
So overall I have seen case temps drop 10-15C. My CPU (Core i7-980X @ 3.46Ghz 12 cores) now goes to 45-50C under full load (it was 60C before). Everything in the case is touchable before the GPU backplate was too hot to touch & the PSU was also getting a little warm.

Under gaming its up to 50C cooler under full load @ 4K :eek: Now I can game in confidence & silence (the H55 fan is audible but not too bad I have several others to replace it with which are silent but for now will leave it and see how I get on otherwise my case is 100% silent from 1ft away.

If you have the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming (or any other air cooled 980 Ti) then this is a good way to reduce temps but if you only game @ 1080 you can get away with the stock HSF although it has way too much thermal paste on it for my liking the thing is literally drowning in it. For 4K I would not attempt that on this card unless you have extreme air cooling in your case or put the card under water or an AIO kit like this one. I also found my MSI HSF was actually slightly lose the screws were not properly tightened up. So not only did it have too much thermal paste the HSF assembly was not even fitted correctly by MSI :eek: no wonder my temps were so high!

I am struggling to make the GPU even reach 40C now @4K full monty on anything :D

Soldato
I'm having pretty bad temps with the G10, it gets to 70 degrees ._.
That seems wrong mine is idling in low 20s & only getting to 39C under full load. You sure its seated properly & getting the full 12V loading (use a molex to 3 pin convertor ensure that instead of relying on the motherboard 3 pin header as not all will supply 12v if you have any temp control running in the bios).

Associate
If you have the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming (or any other air cooled 980 Ti) then this is a good way to reduce temps but if you only game @ 1080 you can get away with the stock HSF although it has way too much thermal paste on it for my liking the thing is literally drowning in it. For 4K I would not attempt that on this card unless you have extreme air cooling in your case or put the card under water or an AIO kit like this one.

I am struggling to make the GPU even reach 40C now @4K full monty on anything :D

Great! it's an awesome solution for those especially with smaller/less than ideal airflow cases.

Matrix seems to have a warranty sticker on one of the gpu retention screws as well =/

There was one of those on the MSI Gaming screws too, but MSI have been contacted many times and they say they will have no problem with returns, as long as you don't damage it during installation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom