**** Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Thread ****

Don
I wish they did the Core-M version with 8GB and 256GB SSD. I don't need the CPU grunt of the i5 or i7 but I do need the RAM and storage space. Fanless is nice.

It's a shame.

Associate
I wish they did the Core-M version with 8GB and 256GB SSD. I don't need the CPU grunt of the i5 or i7 but I do need the RAM and storage space. Fanless is nice.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that they don't offer this, it would absolutely demolish the iPad Pro on a similar pricing level plus it's very slightly lighter than the i5/i7 models.

Soldato
For some reason KB3116908 kept failing to install. It attempts to download it but then it runs into an error. Had to manually grab the update off the Microsoft site... which doesn't work in Edge but needed Internet Explorer to download.

System hardware update on the other hand installed just fine.

Stop the Windows Update services then clear out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Then restart service and see if it downloads then.

Will depends what it says in the C:\windows\windowsupdate.log

Also, check your date and time are correct ;)

Soldato
Stop the Windows Update services then clear out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Then restart service and see if it downloads then.

Will depends what it says in the C:\windows\windowsupdate.log

Also, check your date and time are correct ;)

Already tried those steps, but it didn't work. Grabbing the update manually from the Microsoft site sorted it.

The system hardware update which appeared at the same time was completely fine.

Man of Honour
New hardware drivers on Windows Update now. Supposed to fix graphics driver resetting issues.

Got this on my Book:

The following update will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 12/3/2015” or “System Hardware Update – 12/3/2015” within the Windows Update History..

•HD Graphics 520 driver update (v20.19.15.4326) improves display stability.

•Surface Display Calibration driver update (v1.1.381.0) supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.

Associate
Just received an I5/8/256 and blue keyboard from my wife as a birthday present. Really enjoying it so far and this is from a household with a LOT of apple kit ( iMac, macbook pro, iPads, apple TVs, iPhone 6+'s and apple watches ).

I'm sure I will have few questions for you guys with more surface experience than me over the next few weeks, here's one to start.

When in tablet mode is there a way to make the on screen default keyboard be the one with qwerty keys rather than the handwriting recognition one?

Associate
Just got a shipping confirmation for my i7/8GB/256GB Surface Pro 4, that's a nice surprise given it was due to ship late next week. The UPS tracking number isn't active yet so I suspect it probably won't arrive tomorrow, but hopefully it will on Monday!

Associate
From email?

Yeah, got an email from the Microsoft online store. Pre-ordered the i7 on the 30th of October.

I had an i5/8GB/256GB that I returned a couple of weeks ago, really great device but due to the amount of backlight bleed on the one I got plus the frustrating sleep/wake issue (likely to be fixed by software/firmware eventually) I decided to just wait it out for the i7 model.

Soldato
Yeah, got an email from the Microsoft online store. Pre-ordered the i7 on the 30th of October.

I had an i5/8GB/256GB that I returned a couple of weeks ago, really great device but due to the amount of backlight bleed on the one I got plus the frustrating sleep/wake issue (likely to be fixed by software/firmware eventually) I decided to just wait it out for the i7 model.

damm i have not got my dispatch email yet. ordered mine same time as you more or less

Associate
The tracking reference is now active but it just says it's created and ready for collection by UPS, so I suspect it's not going to move anywhere today.

Edit: It's arriving on Monday

Last edited:
Associate
Oh dear, just got off the phone with Microsoft. Turns out that despite what I was told by their European call centre when I pre-ordered the SP4, they cannot add the Microsoft Complete extended warranty unless it is purchased in the same order as the device. Unfortunately the appropriate Microsoft Complete product wasn't actually available in their system when I pre-ordered and they told me I could buy it within a week or two of the device being shipped. Turns out that was a lie.

If I want Complete, I need to return and re-purchase the SP4 :( :( :(

Associate
In addition to my last post regarding the gaming aspect of the device (i5 8gb):

1. BioShock 2, f1 2013 and bulletstorm all are playable at game default settings at 720p. Some are likely to be playable at 1050p.

2. The device has a funny 3:2 aspect ratio but most games should work after trying out resolutions in game.

3. As to be expected gaming creams the battery. I saw battery go from 80% to 18% in about 1.5 hours of bulletstorm.

In addition to above the recent update for the graphics has so far stopped the display driver resetting bug.

POB

POB

Soldato
Teal type cover arrived from the cheap place. In a plastic bag :(.

Ripped and folded type cover.

rip.jpg

Back
Top Bottom