Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
I'll be reviewing it shortly, but can tell you that it is generally less prone to backlight bleed than the comparable AHVA ('IPS') models and obviously has no glow. And 'ghosting' is simply not an issue. The pixel responses are very snappy and in practice the inverse ghosting (overshoot) is too faint for most to notice. I'll obviously assess this in more detail in the review, but really this does have some advantages over the 'IPS' models.

The so-called "premium" IPS panels available really are sorry excuses for the technology though. I've had several IPS monitors over the years, never encountered the issues these latest ones are plagued with. In light of that, the Dell S2716DG is a solid choice, but it's a choice that almost seems to be forced on many users due to the issues with what they'd really prefer but cannot get... top quality fast refresh IPS, or at least some certainty that this is what they will actually receive! I've seen so many people say they're giving up on IPS and now moving to TN. It's madness, but I totally understand it.

Soldato
Yes, it is a sad state of affairs. In fact the sheer volume of negative user feedback and the return rates have put a halt to me wanting to even review those models. I also had a little chat with BenQ about the situation last year. Let's just say it's no coincidence that they don't have a model out using such a panel at the moment.

Soldato
I'll be reviewing it shortly, but can tell you that it is generally less prone to backlight bleed than the comparable AHVA ('IPS') models and obviously has no glow. And 'ghosting' is simply not an issue. The pixel responses are very snappy and in practice the inverse ghosting (overshoot) is too faint for most to notice. I'll obviously assess this in more detail in the review, but really this does have some advantages over the 'IPS' models.

Ok great, Ty for clearing those issues up for me.

Not pulled the plug yet, torn between B Grade and New! Decent saving but B grade is B grade :/ Need to swap my GPU out also so this is becoming expensiveeeeee

Associate
When I put mine into sleep, its fine.
I have however noticed that sometimes when I first boot up, the monitor doesn't wake up. Pressing the reset works fine. I don't get any 'You didn't shut down properly last time' messages though.

So, having taken note of what happens, if I deliberately put the computer to sleep the monitor wakes up fine. If I let the computer go to sleep because I stopped using it the monitor doesn't wake up unless I press computer reset button. Anyone else have this issue and how did they get around it other than set the time for the computer to sleep to a long period which is defeating the object of it sleeping and saving energy etc.

Associate
So, the Dell wasnt the second coming of Christ in terms of gaming TN monitors?

I see more negatives than positives on like every forum.

Isn't that the case for any premium monitor? I spent a long time researching a new monitor and forums are full of so much fear and loathing when it comes to monitors. This one actually had the most positive feedback of any that I could see. I've been pleased with mine so far, fwiw.

Soldato
So, having taken note of what happens, if I deliberately put the computer to sleep the monitor wakes up fine. If I let the computer go to sleep because I stopped using it the monitor doesn't wake up unless I press computer reset button. Anyone else have this issue and how did they get around it other than set the time for the computer to sleep to a long period which is defeating the object of it sleeping and saving energy etc.

Disabling the Deep Sleep or whatever it's called on the Monitor OSD fixed this for me.

Associate
I'm really struggling to get used to this monitor :(

I've got two Dell U2414H's on the desk next to it, which are IPS panels so the colour difference is...noticeable.

My main issue with it though is that every now and again I see hundreds of little squares, they're normally most apparent in things like muzzle flashes etc.

I'll see what The Division plays like on it tomorrow and make a decision after that.
I'm just not convinced that i'm getting my moneys worth at £450 :(

Caporegime
I'm really struggling to get used to this monitor :(

I've got two Dell U2414H's on the desk next to it, which are IPS panels so the colour difference is...noticeable.

My main issue with it though is that every now and again I see hundreds of little squares, they're normally most apparent in things like muzzle flashes etc.

I'll see what The Division plays like on it tomorrow and make a decision after that.
I'm just not convinced that i'm getting my moneys worth at £450 :(

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28820031&postcount=221

I got the same

Vertical Pixelation

Soldato
It's something I refer to as 'interlace pattern artifacts'. It occurs on all of the 144Hz TN WQHD models and in fact is very common on the Full HD models as well. I believe these are what are also being referred to as 'scan lines' on discussions about the overclocked-to-100Hz 21:9 monitors (PG348Q, X34)

Soldato
It's got to the point that I'm actually scared to change my monitor ATM (Dell U2414H), I really do want a larger, feature rich screen but all I hear and read about are the numerous problems these newest screens have.

This IPS screen on my current monitor is glorious to look at, the colours are so rich and vibrant, with only the smallest amount of screen glow in the bottom left which is pretty much unnoticeable on the desktop and in games.

I really don't want to compromise the benefits of IPS...but these problems man, so off putting taking the risk.

Soldato
Associate
I just tested this monitor with 3DVision Kit (version 1) and yes, it works.

I feel like a total idiot as I've had the monitor for almost 3 months and never bothered to test it. I always assumed it was incompatible and I even went so far as actually researching how to hack the EDID, when all along it works!

Granted, this may be the result of a driver update from Nvidia but either way I'm over the moon, as I can now retire my old 1080p 3D monitor, keep this DELL as my 3D kit and now justify buying an IPS ultrawide to compliment it.

Soldato
Been pretty happy with my Dell so fare. Overall seems a lot better than the SWIFT i had and the Acer XB270HU. Comes outta the box pretty washed out but the nvidia control panel can fix that for you or the very nice color calibrated ICS profile linked in this thread. It has its faults, some which annoy me a good deal when i look for them yet these same problems dont seem to pop in my face when im gaming and therefor not an issue in the long run. It does overshoot when you look for it sadly but again launch a game and start playing and you wont notice a thing cause its so little and you have to go to some extremes it seems to really see it. So fare its my pick for 2560x1440 144hz gaming.

PS: Love the Design!! JUST LOVE IT.

Soldato
Love my S2716DG, not had any of these 'problems', well tell a lie thought I had a sleep problem, resolved by turning the base unit on before monitor, no hardship.

Even better when you get it when it was mispriced by a certain on-line retailer ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom