Preparing for Fatherhood

Soldato
Pre-owned is good especially clothing and shoes they never get worn out as they only get used for a few weeks but with prams and pushchairs make sure the wheels and axles are in good condition and they put down easily when stressed.

With those detachable pram/car seat units with a carrying handle get one where the handle zigzags above the child they're much easier to carry.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, me and my fiancée have just sat here for the last 30mins, absorbing with a few chuckles thrown in at some of the more comical advice.

Its been a great help, so far weve had one trip to John Lewis, me personally im building up the "its really happening" thoughts....

We have heard and this post has really confirmed Maxi Cosi are the go to for car seats, so working back we will be finding out what theyre compatable with, with regards to prams.

We had seen the Oyster 2 pram, but then JL had Icandy (too expensive), Vista, bugaboo and Silver Cross in the specific store we went to.

Fiancee isn't too keen on moses baskets, so were angling for a crib.

Very interesting about the Aldi nappies for the day and Pampers for the night comments. I will take a look in Aldi at costs etc to again get some idea.

I have a Honda Civic at present - great boot space so not worried at all about that, but its the Type S so has 2 doors - pain for a baby car seat.
My Fiancee has a 56 plate Corsa, so me personally I want to get rid and upgrade to something around the 6k mark....

...but due to the impending house improvements (its all go). It may have to be a lease option for the time being if not at all.

Thanks though everyone and have a great weekend all

Soldato
I'm two weeks in. We went with a maxi-cosi car seat and tried out all the prams by wheeling them out of the shop, folding them up and down and putting them in the car. We chose the Silvercross Pioneer in the end.
Another vote for Aldi nappies and Water Wipes, we're going to use those until the little one can tolerate normal baby wipes. We're breastfeeding but we need to top up so I bought the Tommee Tippee perfect preparation kit - this is amazing. Seriously consider this if you plan to bottle feed.
We bought two changing mats so we can change the baby either upstairs or downstairs.

Pix:

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Soldato
Right, I'm sitting here with my first baby who is now 7 days old, so I can give you some pretty fresh perspective!

Get as much stuff second hand as possible. Friends and family will be more than willing to dump their stuff on you so welcome it with open arms. We got our cot (which turns into a bed), moses basket, pram (mamas and poppas urbo, which is alright but fairly bulky. Does fit into our civic though. We just clip the maxi cosi car seat into it with some £20 adapters so we can lift it out and into the car iso fix), and we got all that plus mountains of clothes for £40. We spent more on new stuff like breast pumps, bottles and stuff.

Things we realised we needed more of: little vests and jump suits. These are the easiest things to change, and trust me that's a good thing. You'll probably go through about three of each per day, so get loads. Plenty of wet wipes and nappies.

One really handy thing: feeding pillow. It's a u shaped thing a bit like those airplane pillows. VERY handy for resting or freeing up your arms and resting your back (will get sore from holding baby and leaning over a lot). See below.

PYsuRt1l.jpg

Moses basket is very handy so far. As long as it's a wicker basket with handles that lifts off of its base, I can't see what else you need from it. Want to go downstairs to eat lunch but don't want to leave baby upstairs asleep? Pick up the basket and bring them down with you without waking them up.

As far as changing tables go, we use a dresser with a changing mat on top. All the nappies, wipes and clothes go in it so it's all to hand when needed,and it's chest height so nice and handy. Also useful in the future.

Other than that, bring snacks to the hospital and be prepared for a long stay (we ended up being there 5 days, but hopefully things will go smoother for you.

It's going to blow your mind, mate. I'm excited for you.

And because we are doing baby pics...

O7ojLHEl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
We've literally just - yesterday - had our second. The key thing I would say is you need to relax and enjoy it. Whatever you buy you will find you need other things, so focus less on 'OMG I saw in antenatal classes we need this' and more on enjoying your time together.

Car seats I find are quite emotive when it comes to what to get. The laws on them changed recently, but historically they were tested to quite surprisingly low standards. We have a Maxi Cosi family fix base with the Maxi Cosi Pebble. Our older son has a Maxi Cosi 2-way Pearl. These seats aren't cheap, but they have superb crash safety scores. Car seats have a finite lifespan and also can be made unsafe by dropping, so I wouldn't buy second hand.

Pushchair wise we have an iCandy Peach with all the isofix brackets, fleece footmuffs etc that cost us the best part of £1200.

In contrast, we also bought a Bugaboo Chameleon second hand as a cheap one to use for holidays and keeping at the in laws. It cost us £50 off some Facebook group. In hindsight, if you want to save cash somewhere, this is n easy way to do that.

Just remember family and friends will want to buy you things, embrace this !!

Associate
Definitely recommend a car seat with a base unit. We had Maxi Cosi and honestly when you're on your own, the little one is screaming and its p'ing it down you'll be so glad you can just click the car seat into a base unit rather than have to mess about to fasten it in with the seatbelt.

...and muslin squares. Many, many, many muslin squares.

Transmission breaker
Don
Seats with base units are great! We use Recaro for our two.

Nappies, regular delivery from an online store covers this for us. Same for wipes. Much cheaper to buy in bulk and you always have a great supply available. Also saves lugging big bulky stuff back from the shops :D

Gimmicky stuff, forget it. Waste of money.

A jungle gym type toy is a must. As they get towards 4-5 months they will spend ages lying on there playing and grabbing the dangle bits :) My 5 month old second is current lying there now rolling around and having a play.

Prams and stuff. Go and try them out in a shop and see what you can find in sales. We got a 50% discount shopping around for a few months before hand just waiting for a deal to come up. We had a few models in mind and just waited it out :D
Also, second hand is a good idea, just make sure you give time to get it clean and ready :) We went new second time around, just because we did as above and had time to find a deal!

Buy a million muslin cloths!

Last edited:
Associate
Our little man is almost 5 months.

Would echo Water Wipes, nice and moist and they don't smell weird.

Lots of muslin cloths, keep them in drawers dotted around the place.

The little jumpsuits (sleep suits?) with the scratch mits built in that fold over their hands, and the little armless legless vests to go under, when they are new it's all about keeping them warm.

Was determined not to spend much on a pram/pushchair so went with a Britax baby safe car seat (as demonstrated by Wills & Kate) and B-Agile pushchair that goes flat so suitable form birth. Now at 4 months the little one is in the carrier more than his pushchair, but still goes in it if he's due a nap.

Neither car has isofix so I bought a belted base, in reality it's perfectly easy to belt the seat in without it, but I was a bit worried about doing it properly on the first trip home and also the missus feels happier just clipping it in if I'm not there.

Moses basket is good for first couple of months, as mentioned you can easily take them with you around the house while they sleep.

Lots of snacks and maybe some cartons of apple juice for the hospital! Take plenty of photos.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha this cracks me up. I'd echo the jump suits/ vests, they always go through a shed ton of these. My daughter is 20 months and she's a devil. A cute devil, but she's at that age where she's into everything and tests you.
The first year... they really don't do too much. You end up being that parent going "omg they smiled at me" as it's a big thing because they really don't give much back other than puke, crap and sleep :p

You will want to buy them cool stuff, like outfits, little things here and there and I'm not saying don't but like others have said, sometimes you just never even get the chance to get them in the clothes/ whatever it is. If you want to buy them cool little things, buy them in like 6 months bigger than they are!

I bought Harper a set of quality Hello Kitty vans, they looked badass, before she was even born. They fitted her when she was like 14 months, for like 2 months. She probably wore them 5 times dammit.

12826084_992579697487275_251132358_n.jpg

They start to get more personality and you see what they're going to be like as they grow, which is completely rewarding.

Man of Honour
The only advice I have is that no, despite what a lot of people peddle, iso-fix is NOT a necessity. It's there to prevent idiots who can't fit a belt seat properly from doing it wrong and putting their child in danger. A properly fitted belt-retained seat is as good as an iso-fix base.

We use a Maxi-cosi Axiss which is bloody fantastic. Being able to rotate the seat to get the little one in is a god-send. THis one if for kids who are 9 months+ though.

Agree on the isofix point (except I encourage anything that reduces the propensity for error, especially for exhausted parents) but I would strongly recommend against forward facing a 9 month old. I don't know the current legislation in detail but I believe it has recently made a move toward requiring all children under 15 months to rear face - and even that is quite poor. Sweden recommends children rear face until age 4 and consequently they have options available on the market to accommodate this. But the antiquated legislation and lax enforcement here mean that extended rear facing seats are expensive and difficult to source, although availability and prices improve as awareness and demand increases.. It doesn't help that the main retailers here don't provide adequate training to their staff who go to great lengths to convince patrons to buy a new forward facing seat.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm two weeks in.

Alex ! I go on holiday just over a week and this happens. Congratulations! There better be pics in my inbox when I hook back into work.

Can't add much to advice already given other than to echo don't buy loads of stuff until you figure out that you really need it. Get used to the washing machine and dryer being on a lot.

Soldato
I'd add
1 * Braun Ear Thermometer
It handy to know when they have a temperature. You can normally tell just by holding their forehead to your cheek but the thermometer is really useful . Unfortunately kids get sick but Calpol is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom