*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
So now I have the grips of handling my ship, navigation, docking etc. How do I go about planning my exploration? How can I fund its fuel?

As much as I like "second start to the right. And straight on till morning", that's a rich man's game.

Also... Of my free starter ship is a sidewinder, why can I buy one? What's the point?

Soldato
Get a fuel scoop. Every jump to a system is to the sun free fuel.

Also a question to the deep space explorers...when you are waaaay out beyond the rim etc do you still get interdicted by pirates? other npcs around?

Soldato
Get a fuel scoop. Every jump to a system is to the sun free fuel.

Also a question to the deep space explorers...when you are waaaay out beyond the rim etc do you still get interdicted by pirates? other npcs around?

NPC's (and thus interdictions) become less and less frequent the further you go out, it gets very lonely out there.

tbh

tbh

Associate
So now I have the grips of handling my ship, navigation, docking etc. How do I go about planning my exploration? How can I fund its fuel?

As much as I like "second start to the right. And straight on till morning", that's a rich man's game.
Just a suggestion, but why not look at the list of player-discovered Earth-like planets in the link below and visit some of them?

There are ones as close as 158ly from Sol, and they'll provide you a decent payout. You won't get "first discovered" rights of course, but it will get you started so you know what to look out for if you decide to head out into undiscovered space and find some of you own.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168287

Also... Of my free starter ship is a sidewinder, why can I buy one? What's the point?
Why not? It's a fun little ship, I still hop into one and run a few missions from time to time :)

Used to be that there were "psychos" lurking in systems upto 500ly away from Sol, but that changed a while ago; now you won't find any NPCs outside of human space, just the odd "salvageable wreckage" unknown signal.

Associate
Came back to play a little the last few days. Ran a few missions in my ASP before switching to my vulture for some bounty hunting....not sure why but I'm really struggling with it now, and got wasted 2-3 times. Guess just got reckless.

Think I'm going to strip and then junk it, should have the funds now to pretty much fully kit out my clipper where before I had it a little under equipped.

Soldato
So I have finally spent some time playing ED with the Vive CR1 and it really does impress! Almost time to throw the TrackIR5 in the bin but before I do... are there any additional tweaks to get the in-game text to appear more clearly? The text on the left navigation, next to the currently selected target, or right status, next to the power distribution, screens are completely illegible! If I pull up the left and right pop up console screens I can at least make out the text if looking directly at those screens.

Cheers, Paul.

Soldato
So I have finally spent some time playing ED with the Vive CR1 and it really does impress! Almost time to throw the TrackIR5 in the bin but before I do... are there any additional tweaks to get the in-game text to appear more clearly? The text on the left navigation, next to the currently selected target, or right status, next to the power distribution, screens are completely illegible! If I pull up the left and right pop up console screens I can at least make out the text if looking directly at those screens.

Cheers, Paul.

It's a shame you can't have an option to display the panels more full screen/straight on when you press the key to view them!

Actually do the dedicated keys (eg: 1-4) still work with the Vive and Oculus?

Associate
I used to use Slopey's, but it went through a period of no longer being developed and appeared to have been dropped by Slopey. Might no longer be the case?

I switched to EDDB - Elite: Dangerous Database

That may be true... doesn't seem as stable now.. used it a year ago and it was great, now my rift is on order, I thought I'd better get back into it and it does seem a little flakey... works though..

May have a look at alternatives.. is there anything that works without having to completely switch applications.. i.e. overlays within the game?

Associate
I know this has probably been done somewhere but it'll be buried.

I've started playing a few times in an attempt to make at least some money but after spending tens of hours and building up just a few thousand credits doing runs for a few hundred credits profit here and there, I've got so bored and frustrated I've just given up..

Not looking for an easy ride but can someone please give me some ideas to make enough money to at least start having some fun... It's almost impossible to take anyone on in a stock sidewinder and with a tiny cargo hold, by the time ive paid for fuel and repairs... its going to take me years to make enough money for decent weapons and upgrades, let alone better ships etc!!

I was an avid fan of Elite in the 80s and I truly want to love Elite Dangerous, especially now my rift is on its way but i am just not in a position to give up work and tell the wife I'm off on a 3 year mission on the PC!!!

Any help would be gratefully received

Man of Honour
OP
I know this has probably been done somewhere but it'll be buried.

Snip

Any help would be gratefully received

It's been a while since I played but my advice is don't trade at that stage. Instead, load up with weapons and a warrant scanner, go to nav beacons and collect bounties of wanted pirates. You should quickly have enough to get an Eagle and then a Viper soon after. The sky's the limit after that :p

Soldato
It's been a while since I played but my advice is don't trade at that stage. Instead, load up with weapons and a warrant scanner, go to nav beacons and collect bounties of wanted pirates. You should quickly have enough to get an Eagle and then a Viper soon after. The sky's the limit after that :p

Tbh, I find this is the most profitable way of making money in this game :)

Back
Top Bottom