• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Waiting on Zen patiently for my next custom desk build. Just hope this isn't another bulldozer type showing when they use terms like "expect" it to be such and such performance.

Soldato
Waiting on Zen patiently for my next custom desk build. Just hope this isn't another bulldozer type showing when they use terms like "expect" it to be such and such performance.

Good news is that the need for the latest and greatest cpus in games is stagnating because the hardware is outrunning the advances in the games. I'm still running my 4 year old 3570k and its still flying. I expect ZEN to still perform great even if its a good bit behind skylake. Especially after seeing those dx12 cpu scaling results.

Soldato
Well the 5960X is laughably overpriced and Intel can produce cores much cheaper...

Maybe AMD could hit the 30-40 pound per core range with Zen, but it would take the market while to adapt to those kinds of prices. Especially the UK market, it would just be a price gouge-A-thon for months.

Soldato
Well AMD have had a very long time to get something together. Don't forget Intel also had a long time and will probably come up with something that will trump Zen. At least AMD would be pushing them.

Caporegime
I'll buy a hat and eat it if AMD change the CPU landscape over night.

I don't know why people think AMD are suddenly going to change the landscape.

I'm not saying that they're going to produce a flop, I just don't know why people will think it'll be be bargain basement pricing.
300 pound for 5960X performance would be silly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope is a dangerous thing.

Hope is very important. Look at people who've lost hope. It gets very messy very quickly. It costs nothing and even helps you live longer, but you still have to be a realist. It's not a guarantee, but will sustain you until the full facts emerge. It's really the counter to fear of the unknown and I know which I'd rather have :)

I'd also like cheaper hardware!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking about it the size difference between the firms is huge so it might not impact Intel that much at all. Intel can ignore the enthusiast market and it would take time for AMD to make a dent in the enterprise markets.

Caporegime
Hope is very important. Look at people who've lost hope. It gets very messy very quickly. It costs nothing and even helps you live longer, but you still have to be a realist. It's not a guarantee, but will sustain you until the full facts emerge. It's really the counter to fear of the unknown and I know which I'd rather have :)

I'd also like cheaper hardware!

I'd like to see some Intel priced more standardized (i5 6XXXK at 150, i7 6XXXK at 225, 5820 at 300, 5930 at 400 etc), but generally, with all the AMD/Intel CPU offerings, I think hardware's decently priced.

GPU's are getting silly stagnant price/performance though.

Back
Top Bottom