• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW vs EVGA GTX 1080 "Classified"

Associate
Is there a kingpin 1080 tho? Was there a kingpin 980? Or are the kingpin only on the Ti cards?

Yes there was a 980 version, but they're usually announced at least a month after the rest (like Lightning and ROG Matrix).

If EVGA thinks there's a market for it, they'll make it, as simple as that.]

Personally I feel EVGA has too many models and makes things too confusing - I prefer MSI approach:
Entry level (Armor) - Enthusiast (with lame recycled cooler from the original 980): 8G - Crazy guy: Lightning.

Soldato
Yes there was a 980 version, but they're usually announced at least a month after the rest (like Lightning and ROG Matrix).

If EVGA thinks there's a market for it, they'll make it, as simple as that.]

Personally I feel EVGA has too many models and makes things too confusing - I prefer MSI approach:
Entry level (Armor) - Enthusiast (with lame recycled cooler from the original 980): 8G - Crazy guy: Lightning.

Amusingly the pcb and everything aside from the cooler on MSI's armor version is the same as the 8G model. http://videocardz.com/60547/comparison-of-custom-geforce-gtx-1080-pcbs

Soldato
FTW and Classified both have dual bios. As others have said classified has lost the appeal do to kingpin getting all binned chips. Still FTW and Classified should be very close. I don't see the need to pay the extra £70 unless must have it or have the cash to do so. The FTW should do the same.

Soldato
Kind of hilarious so many enthusiasts spend extra money buying a faster clocked card...and then proceed to overclock it further....

Just buy the cheapest card with a good cooler and clock it yourself! why pay EVGA 100 quid to stick an extra 50Mhz on your card lol. I thought we were overclockers no??

Associate
Kind of hilarious so many enthusiasts spend extra money buying a faster clocked card...and then proceed to overclock it further....

Just buy the cheapest card with a good cooler and clock it yourself! why pay EVGA 100 quid to stick an extra 50Mhz on your card lol. I thought we were overclockers no??

1 8 pin connector (reference one) against 2 plus material and more phases it's the difference, plus dual bios. so if you want to really oc this card to the limit you are going to need this.

Soldato
Not binned but they seem to come with high ASIC a lot of the time. Only Kingpin are were binned with the 980ti's not sure what is happening with the pascal chips yet, but guessing they will not be binned.

Unless they are being binned not sure why they would come with a higher Asic then lower ranged cards

Soldato

What card is EVGA doing that on?

Only see the basic SC which is cheaper then Founders but based on reference board with their ACX 3.0 slapped on. FTW which is custom PCB and still cheaper then founders, then the Classified which uses a more beefed up custom version of the PCB used in the FTW edition and TBA clocks.

If the difference was solely mhz then yeah I would agree, but its not and there are some differences, even if they are small, there will always people who want the best chance of the attaining the highest speeds.

Soldato

Better power circuitry + better cooling + a higher chance of a better ASIC GPU + backplate too. All adds up to better performance for your money in most cases, but can be a lottery sometimes. Also I think some work out better value because you don't have to buy a backplate and the fans are normally higher quality and quieter. Also they normally look nicer too.

Just a note on the new EXGA cooler style, I don't like it. The 980ti classy style was better. Food for thought for EVGA Rep. Hoping they drop this look when the 1080ti classy comes out or Volta.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Kind of hilarious that you make a statement like that and a couple of days ago you was asking how to overclock your card lmao. :D

Soldato
Better power circuitry + better cooling + a higher chance of a better ASIC GPU + backplate too. All adds up to better performance for your money in most cases, but can be a lottery sometimes. Also I think some work out better value because you don't have to buy a backplate and the fans are normally higher quality and quieter. Also they normally look nicer too.

Just a note on the new EXGA cooler style, I don't like it. The 980ti classy style was better. Food for thought for EVGA Rep. Hoping they drop this look when the 1080ti classy comes out or Volta.

The 1080 classified has same power phases 14+3, newer improved heatsink, new backplate, no difference in chance of ASIC, RGB led etc. so not sure what you are on about with that, yes aesthetics are opinion, but other than that it looks the same or better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kind of hilarious that you make a statement like that and a couple of days ago you was asking how to overclock your card lmao. :D

Its kind of telling that the guy that doesnt even know how to overclock is criticising the guys who've been doing it for years and think they recognise the potential benefits of double the phases and double the power connectors, given the evidence shown so far.

Man of Honour

You have obviously never used anything like a Kingpin card.

Apart from the obvious that it is very good for LN2 benching, it's real benefit for end users is as the ultimate gaming card on air.

With a binned ASIC and fantastic cooler it runs very cool and quiet on air.

If EVGA do a version for the 1080 it will pull some massive overclocks on stock volts (because of the binned high ASIC).

Some people even like the appearance of them too.

NClWgHL.jpg

Q6yelo6.jpg

Soldato
EXGA cooler style, I don't like it. The 980ti classy style was better. Food for thought for EVGA Rep. Hoping they drop this look when the 1080ti classy comes out or Volta.

I really like it myself. If I didn't I would've went for something else, but imho the 2.0 cooler was so plain jane.. This one looks stylish. I guess everyone has a favourite.

Back
Top Bottom