• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
Have a wait around until the GTX1060 and aftermarket RX480 cards are released?? I think Hexus said they were receiving an AIB RX480 soon,and the GTX1060 is supposedly released on the 7th of July.

Realistically in 1080p we be lucky to get on average 10 FPS higher with the AIB cards. I personally would be happy with that at around £270 or under.

At best it looks like they can be more inline with a GTX980 but then it and AIB cards of it will be faster or OC beyond. Realistically we are entering into another sector of performance. Having watched lots of videos and reviews today it very much seems the AIB cards is needed for gamer seeking that bit more speed in 1080p max detail with above 60 fps for the most demanding games or DX11 titles that it is not so good with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did the same with my 980, fully expected a side grade with potentially a little more.

In the end I have ended up with this card as my wife bought me it as I wouldn't of been back from work in time to order myself, and I didn't tell her it probably wasn't worth buying. I'm hoping drivers will boost it up a little either way over the coming weeks/months at the very least.

I don't actually know what else I would have got anyway without spending a minimum £300 for a second hand 980ti. :(

You can at least be safe in the knowledge that the RX 480 will be faster in DX12 games. That gap will only widen as more and more DX12 titles with more and more DX12 features become available.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...9-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

Associate
Yeah, I'm going to have to buy somthing. I think I'll see how the custom 480s go (but my expectations a super low this time which is probably good lol)

I think a 2nd hand 980ti is probably a good shout. That will be my backup plan if the custom 480s dont bring anything else to the table.

Well, off to play minesweeper :/ See you later guys.

edit

Mainly because the 7850/7870 was a decent upgrade over the 6950/6970, so I guessed this die shrink would be the same.

+ I stupidly believed AMD with their 4850 marketing BS

I'm the same but the 1060 6gb might come in at £300. I think its worth waiting to see

Its getting announced July 7th

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I do wonder if certain people in this thread even play games with their PCs.

Nope just here for the eye candy. Install game.... see if it gives me any oooohs and ahhhhs ..... uninstall and be done with it.

I run a GTX 980 on a crippled pci-e 2.0 8x slot btw and no I'm not trolling :p

Why am I here ? Since I have a freesync monitor I've been eyeing up swapping the 980 for the RX 480.... Looks like the consensus says NO as it appears that the RX 480 will not be able to hold at least 40 fps under 1440p

Pet Northerner
Don
Nope just here for the eye candy. Install game.... see if it gives me any oooohs and ahhhhs ..... uninstall and be done with it.

I run a GTX 980 on a crippled pci-e 2.0 8x slot btw and no I'm not trolling :p

Why am I here ? Since I have a freesync monitor I've been eyeing up swapping the 980 for the RX 480.... Looks like the consensus says NO as it appears that the RX 480 will not be able to hold at least 40 fps under 1440p

which monitor do you have?

Soldato
I have This and my GF has a 480 coming tomorrow.

If you have a couple of ideas of what you want to see ran I'll test them for you :)

Nice one !

Well in all fairness I would need to experience it for myself.... I might just pick one of these cards up anyway.

Essential tests : Run Witcher 3 or GTA 4 at ultra and see if the card can keep in the freesync range which I believe to be at least 40 fps

If it can stay in the range this may be a good buy for those who want a silky smooth experience at low fps

Back
Top Bottom