• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
Trying not to use a price that lasted an hour or 2 please? :D

The exchange rate in in 2014 isn't relevant to this unless you can magically change it to match. If you can please do it. :)

So at the moment it's £22 cheaper than an equivalent GTX970, it's better, but is it better enough?

If Brexit hadn't happened chances are you be looking at £20-£30 cheaper card across the range, that would certainly make it more appealing for a decent budget gaming card. So Brexit has damaged it's launch some what.

As I said OK for new PC gamers, but is it a big enough improve over the GTX970 considering you could have had one at £250 20+ months ago for PC owners that could have gone down that route?

NB: I regret not getting a GTX970 when it was released, my GTX 670 and then 670 SLI was good, but had I known how long the GTX970 would be competitive in the price bracket (I don't think many people could say they knew it would hold it's value for so long) I would have waited for it and not gone with SLI 670's. :)

Also I'm not an Nvidia FB, my favourite card of all time was my HD5870, that card was a real bargain.

You do realise why it went up,right?? Gibbo sold 700 of them(apparently),and it seems most of them were the 4GB model AFAIK.

Plus you keep mentioning the GTX970 20 months ago - 20 months ago the pound was 21% stronger. So in the end a card which was £65 to £75 more expensive with a 21% stronger pound. That is around 35% to 42% more expensive pound for pound over an RX480 4GB and the pound is now weaker.

Last edited:
Soldato
@ Seklas
Some of the upcoming examples I find good reasons for this card...
Dirt Horizon 3
GOW
Sea of Thieves
Forza Apex

BF1 = both DX11 DX12 (will be interesting one)

The disadvantage is many older DX11 games will run slower.
AIB RX480 needs to be a good 20% faster to be worthwhile (for me anyways) and under £300 but be an ideal Max Detail 1080p card.

If not then gees may as well hold off longer and go for 1070 good overclocking model.

Caporegime
Are you sure, cause seems this card is aimed at people to call it crap, have no intention to buy it and just mock it as they have something better or faster. People on a budget are not meant to buy it and feel happy with what they can afford but instead feel like turdpolishers and belittled by smugholes.

True, I do try not to buy things I think are crap. You got me there.

I think only one person made a joking comment about "paupers".

Btw, I don't have faster. I'll be upgrading from a 280X. This card, however, is just not good enough. In budget (and let me be clear - the 1070 is *not* in my budget), but just not appealing enough for me to buy.

So now it's either the 1060, 390X, 980 or wait for Vega. But the 480 frankly is off my radar. Nothing to do with elitism - it's just a massive disappointment.

Why? Because it's another sodding 290.

Caporegime
You do realise why it went up,right?? Gibbo sold 700 of them(apparently),and it seems most of them were the 4GB model AFAIK.

Plus you keep mentioning the GTX970 20 months ago - 20 months ago the pound was 21% stronger.

You lot keep changing your mind. First we have to use release pricing for the 970/290/etc.

Now we can't go back that far because the exchange rate was too good back then :p

So I guess we can't compare prices, at all, right? Not allowed to use current pricing (EOL); not allowed to use months old pricing (exchange rate).

Well you win, then! The 480 is epic, I'm going to buy six.

Pet Northerner
Don
True, I do try not to buy things I think are crap. You got me there.

I think only one person made a joking comment about "paupers".

Btw, I don't have faster. I'll be upgrading from a 280X. This card, however, is just not good enough. In budget (and let me be clear - the 1070 is *not* in my budget), but just not appealing enough for me to buy.

So now it's either the 1060, 390X, 980 or wait for Vega. But the 480 frankly is off my radar. Nothing to do with elitism - it's just a massive disappointment.

Why? Because it's another sodding 290.

I'm in the same boat having a 970, however I did buy a 480 for my GF coming from an old 670 2Gb

I will test it on a 1440p freesync monitor and let you know if you want :)

Soldato
Dude, you are literally just sat moaning about this card and slating it. Do you have nothing better to do? (I'm not a fan of it either but jeeze...)

No thoughts of your own to add?

A lot of us are miffed as this bungle by AMD will cause NV prices to skyrocket like never before. We could be paying £1000 for a 1080Ti and waiting twice as long. It's an important event for GPU buyers, excuse me for wanting to discuss it. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Some people need to chill out. Far too much stress over something that is bought to give us fun times. Don't like it? Don't buy it. I personally am looking forward to mine coming and can't wait to see what it can and can't do.

Soldato
Some people need to chill out. Far too much stress over something that is bought to give us fun times. Don't like it? Don't buy it. I personally am looking forward to mine coming and can't wait to see what it can and can't do.

This x10000

I think its great that AMD took a gamble and aimed at the mass market, and it looks to be paying off! of course the strategy of Nvidia is not to be sniffed at either as the 10 series is selling well. 700 RX-480's sold on day one is a pretty great start for a new card though :)

Do we need to fight over any of the above.....no! it makes the market better for us all and drives AMD and NV to give us the choice in that market :)

Soldato
I'm just bitter cos I got caught up in the hype and sold my 290x, now I dont really know what to do, a downgrade doesn't sound very appealing. I expected at least a side grade :(

But I know its my fault for getting carried away with the hype :D

Associate
I'm just bitter cos I got caught up in the hype and sold my 290x, now I dont really know what to do, a downgrade doesn't sound very appealing. I expected at least a side grade :(

I know the feeling done it before years ago learned form that

But looking at the slight overclocks some of the reviewers have been able to do it seems to gain well so what will the custom boards really bring to the table if they can clock upto 1500+ and keep cool? but what will the power draw be ?

Maybe hang tight and see what they bring i bet some good results to come of the custom 480's

Caporegime

I can understand that and I am not going to give you "but drivers will improve performance" BS. Bite the bullet and add some cash for a 980 or even make it a sizeable upgrade and get one of those 980Tis and that will see you proud for a long time bud. AMD don't really have anything for the high end market at present but with Vega there will be a decent choice for us then with the 490 and 490X :)

Soldato

Have a wait around until the GTX1060 and aftermarket RX480 cards are released?? I think Hexus said they were receiving an AIB RX480 soon,and the GTX1060 is supposedly released on the 7th of July.

Soldato

I don't know why some users thought that a 380 replacement should be a worthy upgrade to a 290/290x/970 user.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm going to have to buy somthing. I think I'll see how the custom 480s go (but my expectations a super low this time which is probably good lol)

I think a 2nd hand 980ti is probably a good shout. That will be my backup plan if the custom 480s dont bring anything else to the table.

Well, off to play minesweeper :/ See you later guys.

edit

I don't know why some users thought that a 380 replacement should be a worthy upgrade to a 290/290x/970 user.

Mainly because the 7850/7870 was a decent upgrade over the 6950/6970, so I guessed this die shrink would be the same.

+ I stupidly believed AMD with their 4850 marketing BS

Last edited:
Associate

Did the same with my 980, fully expected a side grade with potentially a little more.

In the end I have ended up with this card as my wife bought me it as I wouldn't of been back from work in time to order myself, and I didn't tell her it probably wasn't worth buying. I'm hoping drivers will boost it up a little either way over the coming weeks/months at the very least.

I don't actually know what else I would have got anyway without spending a minimum £300 for a second hand 980ti. :(

Back
Top Bottom