The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
I can't finish it...

The final Boss battle with detlaff is maddening. :mad:

Keep queen up. When you see him do that bat thing, roll towards him, or get far quick. When you get to the weird heart stage, if you have it, use queen which you can sustain and regens health when you take damage

Associate
I must admit as a "total package" this has probably been the finest game I have ever played, and I don't say that lightly. Just behind original Elite and that was just the WOW factor.

Associate
Anyone heard anything from Jinx Witcher store about the gwent cards yet? I'm sure it said they would be dispatched the 20-something of june when I ordered but it still says "TBD" in my account page.

Soldato
OP
After having this since purchasing my 970 and putting off over and over, gonna give this a good go over the weekend.

Looking forward to it :)

Bit of advice:

- set shadows on medium and foliage distance high, hairworks off, rest ultra/1080p - will give you 60fps no matter what

- in options set alternative movement response to enabled

- tailor the HUD as you need

- set proper difficulty (I recommend Blood and Broken Bones for first playthrough, if you want a bit of challenge)

- once you get out of White Orchard, disable point of view markers in HUD options, exploration is lot more enjoyable that way

- use all the tools at Geralt's disposal - signs, bombs, alchemy, skills etc

- ask if you need any advice

- enjoy the best game ever made

Associate
Finally purchased Witcher 3 ready for when I completed #2, Half way through Chapter 2 so possibly another 15hours and ill be launching #3 can't wait :)

Soldato
OP
Finally purchased Witcher 3 ready for when I completed #2, Half way through Chapter 2 so possibly another 15hours and ill be launching #3 can't wait :)

Make sure to check my post above yours.

Also, I hope you went with Iorveth :)

And spare Letho when you can, if you can. Then import the save into Witcher 3.

Soldato
Bit of advice:

- set shadows on medium and foliage distance high, hairworks off, rest ultra/1080p - will give you 60fps no matter what

- in options set alternative movement response to enabled

- tailor the HUD as you need

- set proper difficulty (I recommend Blood and Broken Bones for first playthrough, if you want a bit of challenge)

- once you get out of White Orchard, disable point of view markers in HUD options, exploration is lot more enjoyable that way

- use all the tools at Geralt's disposal - signs, bombs, alchemy, skills etc

- ask if you need any advice

- enjoy the best game ever made
Top notch advice on all accounts.

I especially want to emphasize turning off Points of Interest on the map.

Soldato
Finally picked blood and wine up, spent a few hours on it last night and just got the vineyard.

Not played since last october but I'm already looking forward to putting some time in over the weekend.

Only thing I've had to do is the 21:9 .exe fix so the ingame cutscenes use my full res.

Soldato
Just finished this today, gaming will never be the same again :(

Absolutely fantastic series which improved massively with each sequel.

As great as it was though, I don't think I'll ever play it again, it's just too damn long! Plus I've got this thing about games like this that, even knowing there's so many branches and trouser legs the story can twist and turn down, this was my story and to go back and play it a different way breaks the immersion for me.

Associate
to go back and play it a different way breaks the immersion for me.
I had been having the same sorts of thoughts, but earlier this week bit the bullet and started back from scratch with Witcher 1. I didn't ever play the enhanced edition so it's good to be doing that. The theory is that by the time I'm back up to the third game, I can do a NG+ and will have forgotten enough of it to make it worthwhile.

Associate
Completed B&W yesterday...didn't quite get the ending I'd hoped for, but a cracking story none the less. Having now checked endings today, might load up an earlier save.

Soldato
Done all the question marks/sidequests in Toussaint and more than half of the B&W storyline, then watched all the endings on YT.

I think I'm finally finished with the game, just couldn't bring myself to play any more of it. From a technical standpoint it's been the clunkiest title I've played last year and the gameplay was rather shallow (yes, I’ve used everything at my disposal but for the majority of time there was no point as the game offered no challenge whatsoever). From 10 hours in to 120 hours in I've been doing the same thing over and over again as the majority of quests followed the same basic outline. Some of them were brilliant, I admit, but it was too much to take in. It all started to feel samey after a while.

Don't really get the hype for the main storyline either. It's really basic when you look past all those flashy dialogue bits that serve no particular purpose apart from amusing the player. All you ever do is search for people and play the errand boy. Everything appears to stand still for 80% of the game. When things finally pick up, it’s all over in a flash with no proper build-up and the ending just falls flat. The narrative feels fragmented and lacks focus, unlike the story in Witcher 2. Of course, there are characters, missions and dialogue bits that are exceptional but they’re far and in between. Many feel like filler material to pad out the story.

Stories from both expansions are significantly better and when you combine them, you get something of far superior quality than the entire base game.

The game’s very big but I couldn’t escape the feeling it’s just big for the sake of it. Witcher 2 handled its plot a lot better, you were dealing with a lot more political machinations and slowly uncovering the motives of the actions. It also had a world size better suited to what it could actually offer in terms of gameplay variety. Witcher 3 doesn’t.

It occasionally reached brilliance but most of the time it was balancing somewhere between "decent" and " very good" and sometimes it was downright boring. I've been let down by the huge graphics downgrade, then by the main story being as cliché as they get and terribly padded out, then lack of challenge and useless loot/upgrades (B&W addressed some of that by making stuff ridiculously expensive, though I still ended up with 140000 crowns after getting my Mastercrafted Feline and Wolven Gear). The final nail in the coffin were the animations and the general clunkiness of traversal which made exploration a bit of a chore.

Maybe I just expected too much after all the hype and I know it’s mostly a matter of opinion but I just can’t quite fathom how it’s being called the BEST game ever made left and right… Any other title with such flaws would be torn to shreds but not this one, for some weird reason.

It doesn’t have the best gameplay mechanics ever, far from it. It doesn’t offer the most balanced challenge and its RPG foundations are just indisputably flawed. The graphics are uneven and I’ve encountered more annoying glitches than in Fallout 4, which says something. The main story is cliché and played out exactly as I thought it would. You find/rescue your daughter, gather a team and have an epic fight with the grand evil which wasn’t really that epic, unfortunately. Some of the choices were nice but that was it, really.

I understand it’s supposed to excel “as a total package” but doesn’t that mean all the individual elements have to be way above average? And what does this game do that’s never been done before or is really exceptionally good? Gameplay? Fighting system? Animations? Challenge? Brilliantly functioning interface? Variety? Most of that is average, slightly above average or in the worst case scenario, below average.

The only things I can think of are its scale (which starts to work against it not that far into the game, unfortunately), rather good dialogue and some very clever sidequests with amusing outcomes. And maybe the main storyline if you like predictable fantasy. I've played quite a lot of better written titles with IMO better characters and more engaging plots. It’s as if the overabundance of dialogue was there solely for the purpose of hiding the shallowness of the gameplay and its rather repetitive nature (a complaint that can be raised for most games, but then again there are few which exhaust their formulas to such a degree and are equally lengthy).

If the above are enough to make it the best game ever made then I guess this distinction could apply to quite a lot of other games as well. Based on writing/dialogue alone, The Last of Us; a quite short, linear game; would’ve had to get Game of the Century just for the way it portrays the characters’ emotions, the way they speak, interact etc.

And that was only one example. I struggle to find a single groundbreaking thing about the story in comparison to stuff like Soul Reaver, Silent Hill, Ryu Ga Gotoku, Snake Eater, Red Dead Redemption, Alice: Madness Returns, ICO, Journey, Bioshock, Heavy Rain and countless others.

Maybe I’m overly critical but I'm judging it from "the best game ever made" perspective.

I still enjoyed quite a bit of my time with it but I’m glad it’s finally over. Rather surprised at myself since I loved W2 to death.

Soldato
Am stuck on the lubbokin (prob spelt wrong) part, tried it over and over again with both kill it and save it attempted, i just die every time, is there an easy way to get past it or am i being a major noob (always a possibility) :D

Soldato
Am stuck on the lubbokin (prob spelt wrong) part, tried it over and over again with both kill it and save it attempted, i just die every time, is there an easy way to get past it or am i being a major noob (always a possibility) :D

You need to casr a spell on it when it gets out of control in the guys hands. That will calm it down. Think the spell starts with an A, it's the stun one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom