****Official Doom 4 Thread****

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Why do they always spoil it by adding multiplayer achivements. Some of us just like singleplayer but now can't 100% the game. Feels bad man.

There are literally two MP achievements, which you'll get from about 15 mins of playing.

Reach Lv5, win 1 match. Hardly a chore!

Just go in a team based objective mode. you'll have them before you know it.

Soldato
thanks, what way does it work ? do they email you the steam cd key ? and why are they doing it much cheaper than steam themselves ? are they a good service ?

Yep cdkeys provide a great service, they supply you with the key and you simply enter it in steam and job done (can't remember if they email you the key or if you have to log into your account to get it). There are various key sites you could use but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having issues with cdkeys.

As for being cheap, not entirely sure with cdkeys but I think they likely source their keys from cheap foreign markets.

Man of Honour
Open GL or Vulkan? G-Sync works fine for me - make sure you have V-Sync set to on in the nvidia control panel (and off ingame) with G-Sync enabled so that it limits framerate to the refresh rate.

Associate
They should have emailed you a code that you register on their site and then they send you the doom code.

I just switched from an 960 to a Fury, everything is working fine except Doom which loads up to a super low res black screen with a huge mouse cursor on it and nothing else.

Any ideas?

Caporegime
No idea what's causing it, but I seem to be getting a little more in the way of CTD's than before the update, so I'm switching back to OpenGL. Don't know if that'll help or not.

Associate
Ordered a nice shiny EVGA 980Ti today from OCers, ordered the retail box from Amazon as it's half the price of Steam, was thinking happily about playing by tomorrow lunchtime and have just sussed that I still have to d/l 40 bloody gigs. I'll be lucky to be firing it up by Friday. :mad:

Found some posts elsewhere with other old farts moaning about this and the overwhelming response was, "suck it up geezers, this is the future."

Bloody daft yoofs. :D

I've downloaded the demo version, hopefully I can occupy myself slaughtering whippersnappers in the meantime.

Soldato
[RANT ON}

The more I play this, the more it becomes an exercise in sheer frustration - largely due to the lack of checkpoints/save ability and some of the stupid jumping requirements.

Level 5 - finally worked out how to progress onto the bridge and cleared the middle room (where you get the weapon upgrade). Then went to try and jump the big gap over the broken twisted bridge and fell... Guess what, right back to the beginning of the level. Done that three times now and I can't see an alternative path. I want to play Doom not some masochistic variation on Super Mario or Silly Putty. As it stands, within a hairs breadth of getting uninstalled and reclaiming 50Gb of HD space for something that's actually enjoyable and not designed to raise the blood pressure or induce rage-quit.

[/RANT OFF}

Man of Honour
Yeah I usually uninstall/don't buy games without quicksave and don't bother, Doom has been an exception to that but its a struggle to play it sometimes as I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to the next check point in a sitting.

Also find it discouraging for exploration as its just tedious and boring redoing several minutes of gameplay because you missed a jump trying to see if there was a secret hidden somewhere, etc.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong on this - I don't want to save-scum, but when you've got used to titles like Fallout 4 (and earlier), Deus Ex and the Mass Effect games which offer sensible saving options Doom (2016) seems like a backward step. Especially on the level in question where you have spent several minutes and already passed a couple of logical break points to reach that location.

It's one thing to make a game challenging and the player think about how they approach things, quite another to make one stupid jump stop you seeing 2/3 of the game you bought and paid for.

Soldato
Quite surprised to read a lot of these comments, I've got used to quick save these days and like it, but I had absolutely no issues with checkpoints in DOOM, they seemed frequent enough and I never found myself having to redo that much when I died. Maybe I got lucky and didn't die at particularly bad points.

Back
Top Bottom