• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Caporegime
Ok mate thank you, so more cude cores and memory bandwith would outperform core clock speed?
So if it does overclock decently then for future proofing a Titan X would be the way to go?

Until next year when the 1180 comes out for half the cost and matches its performance :p

You only get 6 months at the top nowadays. :)

But if you are somebody who only swaps cards every two or three years, buying the fastest, which this is, when last the longest. If you can afford it.

Other people might take the approach of buying the next in line each year and swapping. Overall cheaper but you never have the fastest card, ever.

Soldato
Ok mate thank you, so more cude cores and memory bandwith would outperform core clock speed?
So if it does overclock decently then for future proofing a Titan X would be the way to go?

Its like having a 2.5ghz 20 core xeon vs an 8 core 5ghz 5960x. The xeon will outperform it because it has 20 cores to compute with. Although it has a slower clock speed it means overall it can process more data per second.

Titan X will last a good few years at least yes. Depends on your resolution, settings etc. A good 1080 is more than enough for most people. The Titan x is about 30% faster than a 1080.

Associate
Until next year when the 1180 comes out for half the cost and matches its performance :p

But if you are somebody who only swaps cards every two or three years, buying the fastest, which this is, when last the longest. If you can afford it.

Other people might take the approach of buying the next in line each year and swapping. Overall cheaper but you never have the fastest card, ever.

I'm not sure that happens anymore. Even before Bexit the 1080's were essentially priced the same or more than a 980ti. An 1180 will only be priced higher.

Suspended

A high-end Volta with HBM2 sounds like it might be my next upgrade from Maxwell Titan X SLI

Hopefully Nvidia will have sorted out their Async compute performance by then as well. A lot of interviews I've read with developers have said Async compute will be important for performance in games.

Soldato
If you're thinking of using the MM for selling then you're maybe not allowed to profit that way...or something similar. Perhaps I'm wrong but there is something in my head saying that you can't sell for profit in MM...

No access, don't have the incredible volume of posts required just yet ;)

Associate
so after looking at the latest reviews and considering overclocking the GPU I just can't help but think what an aftermarket cooled card with a FULL gp102 could achieve both overclocked and with the clock speed being more steady on an aftermarket card, a good 15% faster than this titan X is definitely possible which would be lovely and would seriously challenge 980 Ti sli which for a single GPU without sli problems would annihilate anything thrown at it!

Caporegime
An O/C'd TXp will blow a O/C'd 1080 out the water boi :p

Well not so far it doesnt :p All depends on the OC acheived with the titan.

Dont forget 1080s are going to 2.1Ghz, not seen a titan hold much past 1800 yet.

that will close the 30% gap from the stock titan to the stock 1080.

In one review that became 13.5% gap with a 1750 titan vs an oc 1080. Those 20% faster clocks eats into the 30% faster stock performance very quickly. But yes a 2Ghz titan will trounce and oc 1080 by up to 30% again. But not seen a 2Ghz Titan yet................

So these need watercooling or you can live with 100% fan :p

Last edited:
Associate
Little bit of irony - you can't get them to ship to Ireland, but the UK cards are sent from here:

Digital River Ireland Ltd.
Unit 153, Shannon Free Zone West
Shannon, Co. Clare, IRELAND

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know.. what pain..

Placing my order was more complicated than it should be. Had to have them sent to Northern Ireland. Really hope my cards arrive without issue.

Caporegime
Not seen a TX running 1750 either, I'll leave you to cherry pick your reviews while I overclock the real thing.;)

Show me reviews where there are running consistatly at greater boost then?

Max consistant Ive seen is 1838 in one review but they didnt test vs an oc 1080 so no comparison.

So please show me a review with a 2Ghz titan vs a 2.1Ghz 1080 and ill shut up :p

Caporegime
There in this thread or the other one, one running 2ghz, one @ 1988 and another at 1800and something.

Which review has the consistent 2Ghz please? Im not clicking all of them to find it :D

Checked them all

Toms hardware - no oc
Pcper - 1838 average but dips to 1750
Hardware Canuts - 1923
Hexus - claims just under 2000 but no screenshots or charts and their game benchmarks at these speeds were no more of an improvement than the other two sites at lower overclocks.

Dont get me wrong, I dont doubt this card will be able to do 2Ghz+ under water.

I just believe that with the current cooler, that the best people are going to get is around 1800 to 1900 (except when perhaps benchmarking with 100% fanspeed)

so the extra 10% ore more speed of the 1080 AIB cards will pull some of the 30% performance gain from the titan back :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
"and our sample ran at very close to 2,000MHz when overclocked"

Does not seem to be the case. Nearly 2Ghz and that's on air!

I can see this doing really, really well on water.

Will blow away any 1080! LOL

:D

Agreed. it will be 30% faster. My point, which you have missed, is that on air and with the crippled max boost, people not watercooling their titan are only going to see perhaps as little as 14% increase over the top OC 1080 AIB boards. Thats a lot of money to pay for a small gain.

I was tempted by one and still am. I;ll wait and see what people get aircooled 24/7 first. If, like you say, its always 30% or more then I will probably buy one.

If its only 15% or so, no way, Ill wait till next years cards and enjoy my 1080 :)

Last edited:
Associate
The reviews seem to be pitting it against 1080's that boost pretty high out of the box like the FTW. Do you really get a lot more out of a FTW and Amp Extreme? Small percentages I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom