***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Guys, where do you buy your feather blades now? Back in January last year I bought a 50 pack for just over a tenner on amazon uk. I'm thinking this was a one off or error as that seems very cheap.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I usually buy them by the 100 from EBay. Normally about £18 delivered from Thailand.

Oh and I had some Truefitt & Hills 1805 shave cream delivered this morning. My God it's great.

Last edited:
Soldato
I usually buy them by the 100 from EBay. Normally about £18 delivered from Thailand.

Oh and I had some Truefitt & Hills 1805 shave cream delivered this morning. My God it's great.

Cheers. Just got 25 for £5.69. Indeed, from Thailand.
I only shave about once a week ;) so that's my half year spend. I just use a new blade each time.

Soldato
Just looking at DE shaving

Would it be good / better than a cartridge for lining up a beard line on the neck and cheeks? Most people here seem to use it to shave the entire beard off completely.

What I like about the current Cornerstone cartridge and mainly the King of Shaves gel I use is that it is CLEAR, so you can easily see the line you're shaving up to... Which you obviously can't get with a DE and all the lather?

All I'm wondering really is if it is worth it, don't have any problems as such with cartridge shaving, just that say if I shave today, I probably wouldn't shave the next day or maybe even the day after (wouldn't really want to) as it would be a bit sore because I have to go more than one direction to get a smooth shave... But think I'd have that same issue with a DE?

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
I couldn't comment whether a DE razor would be suitable for detailing a beard, I can't see why not though. One thing is for sure though, DE would very likely clear up that razor burn issue you often get.

Soldato
I couldn't comment whether a DE razor would be suitable for detailing a beard, I can't see why not though. One thing is for sure though, DE would very likely clear up that razor burn issue you often get.

I suppose the main question is relating to the lather and how easy / difficult it would be to get the line straight with the white lather being there.

I think I've become very accustomed to being able to see straight through the King of Shaves clear gel

Hmm

Soldato
Could do, wasn't sure if that would reap all the benefits of DE shaving or not. Definitely an option though

Open-comb is better apparently for seeing the blade, so you can cut to a line... But more aggressive / not so good for a beginner to DE? Correct?

Soldato
New to DE / looking at getting into it

As above, would be shaving up to a beard line on the neck and cheeks, so thick white lather is kind of out of the options list.

Was thinking of:
- Usual starter blades (7 o'clock, derby, etc.)
- Muhle R89 (comes with derby blades, personna blades and alum matchsticks)
- Maybe the below

http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/taylor-of-old-bond-street-luxury-shaving-gel

Anyone know if that is clear? Otherwise I'll probably stick with the clear cooling king of shaves gel I have at the moment

Am I missing anything?? Any better choices? Muhle R89 seems a good beginner razor..?

Thanks!

Soldato
Will still benefit from a brush even if using gel?

What do you think of the razor choice?

Thanks

EDIT: Or I may just do it properly with a brush and lather actually :D.. Just 'draw' a line out of the lather where I want to cut up to so I can see the beard

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A brush will bring more benefit than anything, particularly if you're hacking at beard, regardless of foam/cream/gel. It will moisture and stand those hairs up. Be sure to leave the lather on for a few moments.

Soldato
OK so I went with

- Edwin Jagger DE89 (black chrome diamond-patterned handle)
- 5 Feather blades (free with the DE89)
- 5 Derby Razor Blades (free with the DE89)
- 10 Personna Razor Blades (free with the DE89)
- 20 Legends London Alum Matchsticks (free with the DE89)
- Blade sample pack with 5 x Perma-Sharp, 5 x Gillette Sharp Edge, 5 x Gillette Super Stainless, 5 x Astra Super Platinum, 5 x Shark Super Stainless
- Truefitt & Hill No. 10 Finest Shaving Cream
- Edwin Jagger Best Badger Hair Medium Brush and Drip Stand
- Proraso Blue Balm
- Osma Bloc Alum Block
- Edwin Jagger Razor Stand (looked nice :p)

Thanks for the advice in this thread

Let's hope it all goes well! :D

Any advice on which out of the above would be a good beginners blade?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it has arrived!

Had an issue with delivery from Shave Lounge but their customer service was absolutely amazing and they sent out another package for me without query! Definitely recommend them!

So the kit... All seems VERY high quality and well made. Very impressed.

Had my first shave with the Astra blades as recommended by Anthony at Shave Lounge. Went quite well I'd say for a first DE shave, especially considering I was trying to learn the technique and also avoid shaving my entire beard (I was just doing the lining around it and shaving my neck as I obviously want to keep the short styled beard I have).

A few small nicks (nothing that cold water and alum block didn't sort out) and a bit of razor burn afterwards (and still a bit sore now while typing this), probably more so than my cartridge razor shave... But that's sort of expected with learning a new technique for DE etc... Overall I'd say it went well. Probably just need to work on angle and technique a bit.

Any tips?

Below are the obligatory pics :p

YJTYaf8l.jpg

nFguDoIl.jpg

Soldato
Quite expensive at around £14 delivered but I thought it looked nice and stops the razor getting damaged and also stops the blade potentially scratching anything you may otherwise rest it on

Back
Top Bottom