Msi gt73vr

Associate
I am absolutely positive the MSI is the way to go. I'll await my replacement. I realised when inspecting my one (for the ten minutes or so I had it) that it is considerably lighter than the Asus ROG it replaces. This is a good thing, in my opinion, but it also points towards a lighter build quality. I can see why it has no optical drive though, pretty obvious when you see how the heat pipes have to work round that 1080. It must generate oodles of heat. Hope it isn't too noisy but going by the above it should be okay.

From what I'm aware the new Asus doesn't support Thunderbolt, or does it?

The GS752VS does

Associate
No probs, glad you are enjoying yours I'm sure it is a great laptop :D

Do me a quick favour. Install Speedfan, and tell me how many Fans you have showing as working? I've got 4 listed but only 3 are responding.

3 Fans shown. GPU goes to 80deg with Furmark and stabilises at this with the fans ramping to a relatively low speed. If I press the 3rd button on the right temps drop to 74deg. Ran for 10 mins then got bored :)

I did have some high CPU usage issues that seemed to be related to Nahimic. I updated this plus all drivers. There was a post on the MSI forum that had this response however as I had updated everything I'm not sure what my solution was.

SOLVED: *The issue was actually an outdated version of the AHCI/RAID driver and Intel Rapid Storage Technology. *I also updated Windows Management Interface Driver to be safe. *Somehow this was conflicting with the new Nahimic. *Works perfect now!

Man of Honour
OP
Well I've boxed mine up :( I did a bit more research today and decided to update both the bios and the Embedded controller software. Apparently the latter is responsible for fan usage and control. This definitely improved matters with the fans on my model but only fractionally. Furmark would still bomb after a few seconds when the gpu reached 80 degrees. It was as if the fans received their intrsuction to spin faster too late. It's a weird one. But you could hear them whirring to life right as the software fell over. So whatever the reason behind it my laptop has a fault. It is such a shame though, as I loved the laptop in every way. I haven't a clue what to replace it with :(

Can you point me towards that thread please? I haven't been able to find out an awful lot about this laptop. When he says 'works perfect now' i wonder what aspect he is referring to? I know you said cpu but is that causing them to crash I wonder? Football Manager is pretty demanding in the cpu department. Part of me, being the techy thinks I should hold on to this for a bit longer, but a larger part says this should be working out of the box. I shouldn't have to spend nearly £3k being a guinea pig!

But I am genuinely glad your laptop is happy! I am sure it is a beast.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I've boxed mine up :( I did a bit more research today and decided to update both the bios and the Embedded controller software. Apparently the latter is responsible for fan usage and control. This definitely improved matters with the fans on my model but only fractionally. Furmark would still bomb after a few seconds when the gpu reached 80 degrees. It was as if the fans received their intrsuction to spin faster too late. It's a weird one. But you could hear them whirring to life right as the software fell over. So whatever the reason behind it my laptop has a fault. It is such a shame though, as I loved the laptop in every way. I haven't a clue what to replace it with :(

Can you point me towards that thread please? I haven't been able to find out an awful lot about this laptop. When he says 'works perfect now' i wonder what aspect he is referring to? I know you said cpu but is that causing them to crash I wonder? Football Manager is pretty demanding in the cpu department. Part of me, being the techy thinks I should hold on to this for a bit longer, but a larger part says this should be working out of the box. I shouldn't have to spend nearly £3k being a guinea pig!

But I am genuinely glad your laptop is happy! I am sure it is a beast.

Just ran Furmark on my laptop for around 10 minutes. Temperature maxed out at 81c but the fans kicked in and brought it back down to 77c. It did drift up again but the fans always brought it back down.

Just had played Fallout 4 for about an hour with everything set to Ultra with no issues.

Maybe worth trying another one as you seem to just have been unlucky in getting two faulty laptops.

Associate
Can you point me towards that thread please? I haven't been able to find out an awful lot about this laptop. When he says 'works perfect now' i wonder what aspect he is referring to?

I was just experiencing high CPU load all the time - thread is here (wasn't sure if I could link) https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=271800.0

I did spend the first couple of evenings getting everything updated and checking for issues and identified high CPU usage and eventually got to the thread linked above. There was a useful (for me anyway) driver program on steam that found one I had missed - http://store.steampowered.com/app/403040/

It would be nice to have worked 100% out of the box but then I guess getting laptops the day after general release a few issues to be expected.

Its a great laptop. I'd be pretty miffed if I had 2 DOA after spending 2.7k (just don't tell the wife as I said it was 1k - Cost of my LCD-3's was another white lie. Have to at least 1/2 the value of any toys before any approval gained :D)

Man of Honour
OP
Believe me, I am miffed :( It's the hassle of it all. The thing is, it is a fab laptop. I know I've been unlucky but to receive two knackered units is unbelievable. I'm sure there's a bit more to it than meets the eye. It does suggest some are overheating for whatever reason. I bet I'm not the only person to RMA. I guess that is the price we pay for wanting the very best.

So my second unit will be back with overlockers later today and I am just awaiting the refund. I see they've gone up slightly in price too. I definitely want something, just not sure what to get now :(

Man of Honour
OP
I would like to think they could bench test one before sending with the problems you have experienced.

That would be good wouldn't it. But the problem is, they are factory sealed as such.

Out of interest, is your warranty sticker torn? Mine was looking a bit stretched. It's because its not placed on a level service, so pressure meant that it was beginning to split. Either that or it was a B grade unit sent in error :eek:

Man of Honour
OP
Well... I can't quite believe the run of bad luck I'm on. I ended up with an Asus ROG, the 1070 version. It is generally excellent, apart from one thing. I was under the impression it had the 120Hz screen but in actual fact it's actually got quite a low spec screen for the rest of the laptop, which is a shame. So that's another laptop going back. So through a combination of being fed poor information, and DOA units I am in a quandry. I need a new laptop, and really, I want the MSI. But to have one DOA, one overheating unit AND to hear someone else with similar issues, I am kind of put off. What do you do in a situation like that?

Associate
I would ask OC if they have had a new shipment, odds maybe that the 2 you got were from the same batch which was a crap one.

Also is any OC staff around to chime in on this? I have to rip the warranty sticker to get inside to clean the fans but the warranty stickers are illegal apparently:

www.extremetech.com/gaming/233120-m...use-illegal-warranty-void-if-removed-stickers

2nd If I was to replace the HDD for example am I voiding the whole unit?

Man of Honour
OP
I would ask OC if they have had a new shipment, odds maybe that the 2 you got were from the same batch which was a crap one.

Also is any OC staff around to chime in on this? I have to rip the warranty sticker to get inside to clean the fans but the warranty stickers are illegal apparently:

www.extremetech.com/gaming/233120-m...use-illegal-warranty-void-if-removed-stickers

2nd If I was to replace the HDD for example am I voiding the whole unit?

Well I don't think they have had a new shipment - they were showing +10 in stock when I ordered and they are still showing +10 now.

But to be frank, I've struggled to get any decent information off the staff, they do just enough to answer the question, but absolutely no more. Which is a shame. I guess they must be that busy answering questions all day it must get somewhat monotonous. But I realise that isn't the point. Anyhoo, I digress.

Regards your question, you are allowed to clean the components like the fans, and replace the drives under the warranty. But just to be sure, I would contact the manufacturer.

Man of Honour
OP
I purchased a MSI GT73VR-6RF-TitanPro (GT73VR 6RF-035UK) laptop from overclockers at the weekend and have experienced the same problems as Phil.

My CPU temperature is getting up to 72 degrees C when I am using my laptop for virtualization based activities which are disk and CPU intensive. I ran speedfan on my laptop and it showed 4 fans but fan3 reported 0RPM which I assume is because it is not working or it is not present.

I have emailed Neil at MSI regarding this issue and I am waiting on feedback from MSI HQ

May I ask how you are getting on with yours now?

Associate
I haven't bought one yet LOL. I have the money for one just waiting for, I suppose for any reason that would tip me to do so. x) The price is a tad much I think but hey that's Nvidia when they have a monopoly right. I'd jump on a discount tho.

Associate
I purchased a MSI GT73VR-6RF-TitanPro (GT73VR 6RF-035UK) laptop from overclockers at the weekend and have experienced the same problems as Phil.

My CPU temperature is getting up to 72 degrees C when I am using my laptop for virtualization based activities which are disk and CPU intensive. I ran speedfan on my laptop and it showed 4 fans but fan3 reported 0RPM which I assume is because it is not working or it is not present.

I have emailed Neil at MSI regarding this issue and I am waiting on feedback from MSI HQ

Did you ever receive feedback from MSI on this?

I had to disable the MSI_ActiveX_Service (bundled with Dragon Centre) as it was constantly pushing my CPU to 100% even when the laptop was idle. I also can report fan3 sits at 0RPM which concerns me as CPU temp is 68C with just this webpage open.

Just been gaming too but the GPU temp has dropped down to 34C where as the CPU won't budge. The laptop is great and I'd recommend it to anyone but as mentioned further up the thread it's a lot of money if things aren't quite working as expected.

Back
Top Bottom