***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
I can't imagine that 1080p at 34" widescreen would give you the image quality you are looking for due to pixel density.

LG do a 29" widescreen at 1080p which would look better

It's mostly the quality when there was movement on the screen, that's why I'm looking for a 1080p 34" IPS. I don't mind the low dpi, frankly (I have a 1080p 27") and I want stable fps anyway.

Associate
34UM68 is not high refresh. Normally you want high refresh for 1080p screen, otherwise you will be wasting power of even modest GPU. Also its flat and flat & large UW screens tend to place corners way too far (not to mention very pronounced IPS glow).

However, 144Hz IPS 34UC79G should arrive soon and it looks much more promising judging from early reviews. I am also looking at its direction exactly for same reason I had a disappointment with Z35's "paper high refresh".

This 34UC79G looks very promising. $600 though - that probably means £600 here, twice as much as the 34UM68. Is there any other gaming IPS monitors in 1080 superwide out there? It doesn't seem very common.

Associate
Don't know about the photoshop question, but your thinking on the freesync is correct. You can limit frames in Crimson as per Brizzles post above.

I have heard some people have managed to extend the freesync range lower, but not looked into myself yet

thanks for the quick reply.

Have ordered the LG 34UC88 but may take 4 weeks to deliver :(

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
This 34UC79G looks very promising. $600 though - that probably means £600 here, twice as much as the 34UM68.
£600 is quite a moderate price for a large gaming monitor... Especially if you can get decent quality.

Is there any other gaming IPS monitors in 1080 superwide out there? It doesn't seem very common.

Only LG 29UM67 if you content with 29"
All others are this AUO VA panel with slow response and mediocre viewing angles.

I can't imagine that 1080p at 34" widescreen would give you the image quality you are looking for due to pixel density.
LG do a 29" widescreen at 1080p which would look better
1080p at 34" (and even 35") looks completely fine at moderate (not close) viewing distance and 100% scaling. I've returned my Z35, but resolution was certainly not the reason. Surely it can be sharper, 1440p is and 4K is even more - but you can't have everything. At least it allows to reach very high FPS with very sane hardware - and for that reason I think such monitors pretty much must have high refresh.

Last edited:
Associate
Also anyone find any issues in photoshop with the monitor being curved?
I certainly did, at least with high ~2mR curve this monitor has. This was one of the reason I've returned Z35.

It makes impossible to tell at quick glance if straight horizontal line is in fact straight. You can kind of *guess*, but you can never be *sure*, because it clearly bent by monitor curvature. This not makes design work impossible, but slows it down by unnecessary annoyance.
For casual use its not an issue - because who cares if line straight or not? But an issue for graphics-related pro use, when you *must* know.

Monitors with gentle curve (~4mR) like X34 may be better in this respect - but I didn't try them personally for long so can't be sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
I certainly did, at least with high ~2mR curve this monitor has. This was one of the reason I've returned Z35.

It makes impossible to tell at quick glance if straight horizontal line is in fact straight. You can kind of *guess*, but you can never be *sure*, because it clearly bent by monitor curvature. This not makes design work impossible, but slows it down by unnecessary annoyance.
For casual use its not an issue - because who cares if line straight or not? But an issue for graphics-related pro use, when you *must* know.

Monitors with gentle curve (~4mR) like X34 may be better in this respect - but I didn't try them personally for long so can't be sure.

The lesser curve of the X34 is definitely preferable. I don't even see mine to be honest... very subtle and adds to the immersion. I've never had any issues in Photoshop or any design work I've done. That said, I am not an architect or any such thing, so I don't know how well suited even a subtle curve would be for such professions which obviously require more precision.

Caporegime
The lesser curve of the X34 is definitely preferable. I don't even see mine to be honest... very subtle and adds to the immersion. I've never had any issues in Photoshop or any design work I've done. That said, I am not an architect or any such thing, so I don't know how well suited even a subtle curve would be for such professions which obviously require more precision.

Much prefer the X34 curve than the Dell U34

Associate
The lesser curve of the X34 is definitely preferable. I don't even see mine to be honest... very subtle and adds to the immersion.
I had suspicions that ~4mR may be a sweet spot. Because perfectly flat very wide monitor actually looks slightly "bulging" due to corners being so far and curve should be slight enough just to compensate for this illusion.

Yet another reason I am so interested in 34UC79G, because it eschews this recent fad of "more curve is better" and sticks with 3800.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any curve will distort your pov. How much you'll notice is in the eye of the beholder. Immersion is curves greatest feature along with less eye strain looking far left and right. Personally I hate it unless it's really subtle. It's fashion atm also.

Associate

thanks for the info, I'm not a pro and have a few templates I could use if straight lines are needed.

Just got dispatch email and delivery on Monday (didn't realize forum delivery was only weekdays doh ... looking forward to recieve the 34UC98.

Associate
Anyone psyched about the upcoming Samsung CF791? Seems like a proper answer to the BLB lottery everyone is playing with X34, even though it's a bit on the pricey side for a freesync monitor.

However, I'm slightly worried it may turn mediocre by the high motion blur, banding or other problems that trouble VA screens.

Associate
I ended up getting the x34A. If panels are a lottery then I'm a jackpot winner as there's only tiny BLB that's unnoticeable apart from test conditions and no dead pixels. The OSD that people complained about isn't as big a pain as I thought it would be and out of the box it only need very minor adjustments.
It's a lovely screen.

I find myself admiring the view now rather than playing the game :D

Associate
How its "proper answer to the BLB lottery"? Current Samsung "QD backlight" tech is just a diffuser sheet impregnated with QD phosphor for wider gamut.
Its still edge lit, and entirely of diffuser tech (with imperfections and all difficulty of uniform lighting of large curved screen) - exactly the same as it on any other edge-lit display.

Released & tested Samsung TVs with QD backlight did not really show any marked increase in black uniformity.

Soldato
Folks, I would be grateful for some help.

I have an Nvidia Graphics card and I'm not 100% clued up about the whole Gysnc/Freesync, higher refresh rate possibilities...

Are G/Freesync software or hardware based implementations?

Basically I have 3 x 24" monitors which is good, but I want to move to a superwide screen. Ideally 34", don't mind going up to £1k on this.

Would appreciate your input and advise folks. Thanks very much in advance.

Back
Top Bottom