Poll: Death Penalty - Yay or Nay

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

• Yes

Votes: 321 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 432 57.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I vote yes, but certainly for specific crimes only e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Baby_P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors_murders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger

How much money has been spent on imprisoning the people above?

I can't see how or why it'd be beneficial to have these people alive?

This is generally my view.

If there is absolutely solid evidence of planned murder then why should we be spending to keep them alive.

i.e. not this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley_case

Soldato
most certainly no to the death sentence.

but a big yes to tougher sentences for serious crimes. in the case of Slivers cousin, 12½ years for murder is beyond a joke. should have been 25 to life with 25 being the absolute minimum the murderer should have to serve

Associate
I share your sentiments as a fellow atheist myself. However, playing devils advocate, I could say, what is the cost to the society in keeping a nutjob killer incarcerated for the rest of his natural life? It's cheaper and simpler and safer just to eliminate the scum bag.

That's not my view in most cases, but in some it is.

Cost is a valid argument, but I just see death as effectively the culprit getting away with it since they just go to sleep and have no more worries. Granted they might be terrified for the period leading up to the execution, but I believe that's not sufficient punishment.

It's like a killer is walking across the road and gets knocked down and killed instead of being convicted and spending decades in incarceration.

Congratulations for making the most irrelevant argument against the death penalty that I've ever seen.

OK How about this - we take prisoners, and we build a colony somewhere secluded with no natural resources of their own; the rely entirely on supply drops. Now. We split them into...Say...12 districts to stop them communicating, but once a year we take two from each district to fight for benefits such as extra medicine, food etc.

We could call it something like speedball.

Don't know why you are babbling about The Hunger Games when my point was clearly that the death penalty is not sufficient punishment in my view.

Associate
Cost is a valid argument, but I just see death as effectively the culprit getting away with it since they just go to sleep and have no more worries. Granted they might be terrified for the period leading up to the execution, but I believe that's not sufficient punishment.

It's like a killer is walking across the road and gets knocked down and killed instead of being convicted and spending decades in incarceration.

Don't know why you are babbling about The Hunger Games when my point was clearly that the death penalty is not sufficient punishment in my view.

Speedball.

Associate
TBH, I find it extremely hard to argue against Speedball. There are no negatives I can think of.

The inaugural matches can be played in the Pringle Velodrome. Call it 'Rollerball' or something..

The only negatives would come, if Sky got the broadcasting rights. We'd get ads plastered all over the place. Speedball should remain pure, so that kids can enjoy man hunting the deadliest game of all.

Soldato
OP
You can overturn a life sentence. You can't overturn 'dead'.

People who have life sentences overturned are incredibly rare today though and likely to be rarer in the future with current advances in DNA profiling and forensics in general. When it does happen it's great but the person has usually spent most of his/her life in prison already, so justice not done as the real killer is still out there. This is the flip side to the executing the innocent argument. It's also why America has Death Row. It' gives the accused perhaps decades to make successful appeal. Take a look at one the America's most infamous serial killers, Richard Ramirez.

Ramirez died of complications secondary to B-cell lymphoma at Marin General Hospital in Greenbrae, California, on June 7, 2013.[96][109][110] He had also been affected by "chronic substance abuse and chronic hepatitis C viral infection".[109] At 53 years old, he had been on death row for more than 23 years.

23 years to get his conviction overturned and it still wasn't long enough to send him to the electric chair/gas chamber/lethal injection.

He was 100% guilty but managed to spend 23 years of tax payers money on appeals and incarceration fees trying to get off. Instead of bottle necking the justice system with people like him, they should have just executed him.

So there are cases for each side. Maybe the lesson is there is no absolute fix and so logically a combination of the two is the right approach.

Soldato
But that just negates one of the arguments for capital punishment; that it is cheaper than prison. It costs more incarcerating someone for the duration of an appeals process and then executing them than it does imprisoning them.

Like I said, it only takes a single miscarriage of justice in my eyes to make it not worthwhile.

Associate
But that just negates one of the arguments for capital punishment; that it is cheaper than prison. It costs more incarcerating someone for the duration of an appeals process and then executing them than it does imprisoning them.

Like I said, it only takes a single miscarriage of justice in my eyes to make it not worthwhile.

You know what my woodwork teacher hammered into my head? (without actually using a mallet or hammer, of course)

"No, not that joint you idiot, use the cross halving!"

Wait. No. Wrong one. "Measure twice, cut once." I think it applies here.

Soldato
OP
B

But that argument flips both ways.

Charles 'Tex' Watson, lieutenant to the infamous Charles Manson, took the lead in 8/9 murders or more in the summer of 1969. In the 80s he was allowed conjugal visits while in prison and fathered two children. He is still alive today and actively seeking parole, after admitting to ALL his crimes and meanwhile costing the tax payer a small fortune.

That's why I started this thread. It's not as black and white when you dig into it. Name me a rule that doesn't have an exception?

Last edited:
Soldato
State sanctioned premeditated murder ??
Errr no thanks, I think we have evolved to a level of civilization beyond that thankfully.

(Even if we could assure 100% conviction accuracy (which we can't) I would still be against it, I don't want criminals and the worst of the human race to dictate society's morals. We too would become monsters :( )

Last edited:
Soldato
We really haven't, you know.

Really??
I'm pretty sure we don't execute people in the U.K anymore!!
Of course we still have a long way to go to say we are truly civilized but thankfully we don't kill people for killing people anymore.

As for the depressing large number of people voting for it to be reinstated I suggest you go look at the website below which lists over 155 people who have been taken off death row in America!!
I wonder how many poor innocent sods weren't lucky enough to be exonerated in time :(

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

Last edited:
Soldato
No. Humans, and therefore courts, are fallible and it's morally repugnant for the state to execute its citizens no matter what they've done.

Even most of the arguments that I don't consider valid are false. America has shown that executing someone is far more expensive than jailing them for life. Also, even innocent people have been coerced into pleading guilty.

Associate
Really??
I'm pretty sure we don't execute people in the U.K anymore!!
Of course we still have a long way to go to say we are truly civilized but thankfully we don't kill people for killing people anymore.

Oh dear, sweet naive child. Never change.

No. Humans, and therefore courts, are fallible and it's morally repugnant for the state to execute its citizens no matter what they've done.

Even most of the arguments that I don't consider valid are false. America has shown that executing someone is far more expensive than jailing them for life. Also, even innocent people have been coerced into pleading guilty.

So can I put you down as a supporter of Speedball?

Back
Top Bottom