Poll: Death Penalty - Yay or Nay

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

• Yes

Votes: 321 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 432 57.4%

• Total voters
Permabanned
You can't making a omelette without cracking a few eggs. Innocent people die every day due to the decisions we as a society make. People getting squeamish about the odd person here or there being killed due a miscarriage of justice seems a bit naive.

So sod it then? It happens anyway so why should it matter here? I'm sorry but I cannot get on board with that line of thinking.

Soldato
Using the US as an example, the statistical chances that you could face the death penalty for being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so trivial it's almost laughable. The chances of being convicted and then executed is almost negligible. So let's not pretend this is a likely scenario.

Indeed, and to consider the USA,

You are probably far more likley to be Murdered by somebody has has already served time for Murder and been released than you are to be falsely executed.

See http://www.wesleylowe.com/repoff.html

(I dare say a similar list could be compiled foir the UK, but I havent found it)

Soldato
But if the sanctity of life is so great to you, that even this hundreds of millions of one to chance of someone dying is not worth it to you, can I ask if you've ever driven when even moderately tired, whilst on the phone, whilst talking to someone in your car, changing radio station or so forth?

You understand the difference though, right? Choosing to take a risk is different to having risk forced upon you by the state.

Associate
There is always a risk of a miscarriage of justice and you can't undo a death penalty.

Places like Singapore have the death penalty and a fairly low crime rate, but then again there are also places like the US with above average crime rates. I'm not convinced it's necessarily much of a deterrent.

Historically in this country capital punishment hasn't always been much of a deterrent either. People will still murder in anger without thinking of the consequences, people who are desperate will still steal, people will still risk things like smuggling drugs because of the promised financial reward.

Soldato
So sod it then? It happens anyway so why should it matter here? I'm sorry but I cannot get on board with that line of thinking.

I am saying the level of risk is so small, it's not a good argument against an otherwise entirely rational course of action.

You understand the difference though, right? Choosing to take a risk is different to having risk forced upon you by the state.

Absolutely, if you kill yourself you accepted the risk. But I am talking about the risk of killing someone else in your car because you choose not to focus on your driving or drive in a poor condition. If you valued life so highly than even the astronomical odds of a miscarriage of justice is too much for you, then you ought not drive if you have a cold or a bad nights sleep (for example), because the odds of killing someone in a car when you're not at your best is MUCH higher.

Soldato
Cost and don't compare it to the USA. Straight from the dock into a crematory/grave.

Do you actually have any idea how the criminal justice system works? It's a rhetorical question.

I'm allowed to have an opinion whether I'm 15 like you or 95.
Does only your young view count?

You brought your age into it, not me. Your "life experiences" don't make your views any more valid than anyone else's.

Soldato
You kill someone? you die for it.

So the person that kills them dies too? Genius.

Indeed, and to consider the USA,

You are probably far more likley to be Murdered by somebody has has already served time for Murder and been released than you are to be falsely executed.

See http://www.wesleylowe.com/repoff.html

(I dare say a similar list could be compiled foir the UK, but I havent found it)

65 murderers were released and offended again, in 50 + years. We don't know how many have been falsely executed.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is always a risk of a miscarriage of justice and you can't undo a death penalty.

You cant actually undo a prison sentence either..

Which is why, for lesser offences, I am actually in favour of Corporal Punishment rather than fines or prison terms.

12 strokes of the Cat would be bloody painful. But Punishment could be administered on a Friday afternoon and you could go back to work on Monday.

Past experience (Nelsons Navy) suggests that it is a powerful deterrent.

And if there is a miscarriage of justice, you didn't actually have your life destroyed and a nice cheque can make an awful lot of pain go away! :p

Soldato
But I am talking about the risk of killing someone else in your car because you choose not to focus on your driving or drive in a poor condition. If you valued life so highly than even the astronomical odds of a miscarriage of justice is too much for you, then you ought not drive if you have a cold or a bad nights sleep (for example), because the odds of killing someone in a car when you're not at your best is MUCH higher.

Death by dangerous driving is a serious offence and carries a custodial sentence. Who goes to jail when the state convicts the wrong person?

Associate
You cant actually undo a prison sentence either..

Which is why, for lesser offences, I am actually in favour of Corporal Punishment rather than fines or prison terms.

12 strokes of the Cat would be bloody painful. But Punishment could be administered on a Friday afternoon and you could go back to work on Monday.

Past experience (Nelsons Navy) suggests that it is a powerful deterrent.

And if there is a miscarriage of justice, you didn't actually have your life destroyed and a nice cheque can make an awful lot of pain go away! :p

True, you can't give back time someone has lost, but it's not quite as bad as being, well, dead. I imagine it must be very bad for the families of wrongly executed people.

The "you have almost no chance of being wrongly executed" argument would be absolutely no consolation to me if I was one of the people who made that tiny statistic either!

I think we probably just need harsher prison sentences here and the prisons themselves need to be more harsh; at the least, UK prisons are perceived to be quite soft (not that I intend on finding out).

I don't know about corporal punishment, but humiliation can be/was a good deterrent. Being in the stocks was very embarrassing!

Soldato
Who goes to jail when the state convicts the wrong person?

Well, of course, Personally I would be perfectly happy to see corporate manslaughter charges brought under these circumstances (Murder indeed should it be shown that there were wilful improprieties involved in the trial (Withholding evidence, Perjury, that sort of thing))

The difficulty, as ever, with large organisations (And in particular in the Public Sector) is actually finding somebody that is actually "Responsible"

But yes, if there is a wrongful execution heads should roll, The threat of that lurking in the minds of the prosecution should sharpen their minds and should be a major part of the checks and balances.

Soldato
True, you can't give back time someone has lost, but it's not quite as bad as being, well, dead. !

No, it is worse!

When you are dead you are dead.

If you have spent the best years of your life in prison for something you didn't do (And then had the insult of being charged for your board and lodgings) you will spend the rest of your miserable life regretting what you have irretrievably lost.

Nope, Death is better actually. :(

Soldato
No, it is worse!

When you are dead you are dead.

How is it worse!? I would rather spend 20 years in jail than be killed.

If you have spent the best years of your life in prison for something you didn't do (And then had the insult of being charged for your board and lodgings) you will spend the rest of your miserable life regretting what you have irretrievably lost.

Except you would be released and compensated for your time. Not by enough in my opinion, but still better than being dead.

Nope, Death is better actually. :(

Disagree, completely. Arguing that death is better than imprisonment as an excuse to potentially kill innocent people is a poor argument, at best.

All for it, keeping people like ian Brady and Myra hindley alive is a waste of tax payers money, hanging would have been to good them IMO

Oh, yay. Another person with a tenuous grasp of the English language thinking they should decide peoples fate. It isn't a waste of taxpayers' money, executing someone almost always costs more than keeping them imprisoned for life.

Last edited:
Soldato
How is it worse!? I would rather spend 20 years in jail than be killed.

Except you would be released and compensated for your time. Not by enough in my opinion, but still better than being dead.

Disagree, completely. Arguing that death is better than imprisonment as an excuse to potentially kill innocent people is a poor argument, at best.

Oh, yay. Another person with a tenuous grasp of the English language thinking they should decide peoples fate. It isn't a waste of taxpayers' money, executing someone almost always costs more than keeping them imprisoned for life.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't relise I could only give an opinion as long as you agreed with it

Soldato
You're welcome to have an opinion. As wrong as it may be. I'm allowed to point out the inaccuracies of your opinion, as I welcome others to do so with mine.

Back
Top Bottom