Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Man of Honour
Are none of you concerned about having a device in your home which listens to every single thing that happens behind closed doors?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but the thought of willingly handing over all my personal conversations and "other sounds" to a company just doesn't sit right with me.

I more concerned about the random muttering coming from it when the tv is on and that my wife now refers to it as she.

Soldato
Are none of you concerned about having a device in your home which listens to every single thing that happens behind closed doors?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but the thought of willingly handing over all my personal conversations and "other sounds" to a company just doesn't sit right with me.

Do you have conversations of an illegal nature? If not, whats to be aftaid of?

Soldato

Targeted advertising based on your conversations would be pretty freaky. As would selling that kind of data/insight to a 3rd party.

I doubt that would happen, but they are concerns for some and not entirely unreasonable.

Caporegime

This:

Targeted advertising based on your conversations would be pretty freaky. As would selling that kind of data/insight to a 3rd party.

I doubt that would happen, but they are concerns for some and not entirely unreasonable.

That said, I do appreciate my privacy and although I am not a crim, I don't really want some spotty teenager jacking off / laughing to the sound of me pleasuring SWMBO.

Soldato
How is that freaky?

How is it not? Would you not find it weird if an advert was pushed to you based on a private conversation you had the previous evening with your wife?

Re-targeted advertising can be weird enough, but this could be a whole new level of privacy invasion.

Associate
I don't worry about it because I think others in a better position than me look at it closely and they would create some noise if there was a problem.
It was my understanding that Echo only listens for the wake word. After the wake word is heard the audio that follows is sent to the servers for translation.

Soldato
How is it not? Would you not find it weird if an advert was pushed to you based on a private conversation you had the previous evening with your wife?

Re-targeted advertising can be weird enough, but this could be a whole new level of privacy invasion.

No not really, it already happens based on your google searches as it is, shock bororor! :o

Soldato
No not really, it already happens based on your google searches as it is, shock bororor! :o

Yes, we're all aware of that and IMO the re-targeting method is particularly weird.

But Google searches are an active effort, we're talking here about passive listening. Totally different.

For the record, I don't think they are listening do everything we do, but I can appreciate that for some that is a valid concern.

Soldato
Yes, we're all aware of that and IMO the re-targeting method is particularly weird.

But Google searches are an active effort, we're talking here about passive listening. Totally different.

For the record, I don't think they are listening do everything we do, but I can appreciate that for some that is a valid concern.

It does have a mute button, for people who are worried, if that isn't enough you could always unplug it when you don't want it listening?

Anyone really worried about it won't buy it I guess.

Associate
£15 for a family Amazon unlimited account, once it's released.

Then use profiles on the echos, different profile logged into each echo. You can swap profiles whenever you want or need to.

I assume this would work once there is a family plan, would need to be tested though. I hope to do this for my kids once they are a bit older and want music in their rooms.

Well an update, i just got my second echo and i guess it treats them as a single device as i can listen to two diffrent things concurrently and its been working fine

Soldato
Anyone really worried about it won't buy it I guess.

You would assume someone that paranoid probably wouldn't have a smart phone either...

I've never seen an issue with targeted ads either. Surely they're better than non-targeted? The best ad you could see would be of something that you thought 'Oh, that's cool, I could really do with one of those!'.

Man of Honour
I have 4 of these dotted around the house. Love them. Connected one to my main stereo in the living room and it's suprising how much more music/radio I listen too. The kitchen is great too for measurement conversions and listening to music when cooking. £40 it's a no brainer.

Also, if it wants to listen to my boring life then go for it.

Associate
BTW guys, do you knwo it the dot is capable of playing music thru the jack while still having the voice feedback on the built in speaker?

It's just because the audio amp+kit is normally off, so it needs to be turned on (via alexa, with a 433 socket?) before I can play music, while I still need alexa feedback voice...

Back
Top Bottom