Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
Wow! I remember paying £390 for my Dell from OcUK back in May. I wouldn't touch this monitor at it's current retail price! Not even at the Black Friday price of £488.99 either. It's a good monitor, but it's not that good... I'll probably be going back to IPS and maybe even AMD when I build my next rig (hurry up AMD! :D).

Associate
Are these still worth buying? Have up to £500 for a new monitor and this ones currently top of the list.

If you want a 27" 2560x1440 monitor with G-Sync then this is probably the cheapest option. It uses a TN panel and the brightness and colours are pretty awful out the box, but these can be made to look better with a custom ICC profile... It looks much better after a bit of tweaking, but still not what I'd call excellent.

The bests points are the resolution, G-Sync and the refresh rate. It's certainly a great gaming screen, although the constant price hikes are making it less of a deal.

EDIT: I see it's dropped to £455 now.... Rollercoaster prices on this screen!

Last edited:
Associate
Well that's really peed me off. Didn't order last night as I wanted opinions on the screen. just gone to order now and its showing £599. It was even £450 this morning ffs......

Associate
Well that's really peed me off. Didn't order last night as I wanted opinions on the screen. just gone to order now and its showing £599. It was even £450 this morning ffs......

It was on sale all last week and Gibbo said it was going to go up after the sale.

I also looked at one of these but could not go back to a TN panel after having a IPS, so went with a MG279Q.

Associate
It was on sale all last week and Gibbo said it was going to go up after the sale.

I also looked at one of these but could not go back to a TN panel after having a IPS, so went with a MG279Q.

I was going to order it last night but I didn't think the price would have gone back up today (it was still the lower price this morning) so thought I would ask opinions on here first. I guess that was the wrong decision as I won't be paying £599 for it while everyone else is selling them for £499 and a lot of people got them even less than that.

Associate

Anyone who buys this monitor for £599 must be mad as it's not worth any where near that! You're better off paying for one of the IPS G-Sync monitors.

EDIT:... Oops! Silly me! I was looking at the 24" model earlier which was £455 :rolleyes:. I still wouldn't pay £455 for a 24" TN screen either!

I'd personally give the AOC Agon IPS screen a go for that kind of money https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-agon-ag271qg-27-2560-x-1440-ips-g-sync-165hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-046-ao.html (even then you can still get it slightly cheaper elsewhere).

Last edited:
Associate
Finally bit the bullet and ordered one of these monitors.

I looked at other screens including IPS but the price is quite a bit higher unless you go for the AOC but the reviews I read didn't impress me so I passed.

These monitors are expensive but that is just the way it is today. Anyone sitting waiting expecting them to suddenly drop to £350 is kidding themselves, if you want one and can buy one now then do it before the prices keep going up.

Associate
Tempted to give this Dell TN a try but I'm a IPS nut.

What concerns me is people saying use a ICC profile or alter the gamma in the nvidia control panel. From what I understand I read frequently is games completely ignore them settings so unless you're tweaking for desktop they are pointless changes for games as it will just revert to the default setup before the change. Has this changed now?, last I read the only way was to use software to try force it (causes problems or doesn't work) or the monitor has it own hardware memory to store profiles etc so software reads from that instead.

Other than that I'm sick and tired of trying to get a high refresh ips without problems, the aou panel is a disaster. I know this probably gets asked a lot, but anyone from a ips mainly back ground say this is worth trying?, worried about the gamma though as I mentioned above.

Associate
Bought elsewhere, due to them having a zero pixel defect warranty and guaranteed A03 stock. No disrespect to OCuk, who are my preferred supplier but not in this case.

Don't know if QC is luck of the draw at the moment, or whether A03 stock is better quality.

Can't for the life of me find the store, pretty ridiculous but can anyone hint where he's on about, was it PC b t? :o

Back
Top Bottom