Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
Are none of you concerned about having a device in your home which listens to every single thing that happens behind closed doors?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but the thought of willingly handing over all my personal conversations and "other sounds" to a company just doesn't sit right with me.

I was for the longest time, but, as we know from Snowden etc, the powers that be listen anyway, if you have any laptop, device, phone etc in your home (i.e. ANY technology)...they will listen anyway if they want to, kinda makes it a moot point with these devices as your home already has several mics and cameras anyway.

Caporegime
Seriously guys... what's the point of this thing?

The adverts made me /rolleyes hard. Seems like tech for the sake of it. Not *interesting* tech or *useful* tech, but tacky, silly tech.

Am I wrong?

Soldato
Seriously guys... what's the point of this thing?

The adverts made me /rolleyes hard. Seems like tech for the sake of it. Not *interesting* tech or *useful* tech, but tacky, silly tech.

Am I wrong?

Felt similar, tried it - darn it - its useful, thankfully only £40, but yeah, iv found it great, listen to music a lot more now - and just for reminders, shopping lists, timers as well - works a lot better than google now on my phone, less hassle, great for cooking, fun to have a laugh and ask it silly questions. Its nice to book calendar appointments instead of filling it in manually - just say what where and when etc - as close to a star ship enterprise computer as we've got.

Soldato
I was partially tempted by the amazon dot, but the lock in to amazon's eco system, coupled with the slightly creepy aspect puts me right off (Mr robot product placement aside).

P.S. happy amazon firestick owner.

Caporegime
Yes, I would say you are wrong.
I was hoping you might elaborate a little :p

Felt similar, tried it - darn it - its useful, thankfully only £40, but yeah, iv found it great, listen to music a lot more now - and just for reminders, shopping lists, timers as well - works a lot better than google now on my phone, less hassle, great for cooking, fun to have a laugh and ask it silly questions. Its nice to book calendar appointments instead of filling it in manually - just say what where and when etc - as close to a star ship enterprise computer as we've got.

Soldato
I was partially tempted by the amazon dot, but the lock in to amazon's eco system

Out of interest, what lock in to amazon's eco system do you mean? I use Spotify for music on mine (free with Vodafone) not Amazon music, also my other main use is Tune In Radio and the rest of it is third party skills like Hue, Hive home and National Rail.

Soldato
I was hoping you might elaborate a little :p

Well, what part of controlling things with your voice do you not think is useful?

It wont be useful to everyone, but I like when I wake up, first I can ask what the time is without even having to open my eyes. I can then turn the heating on and ask it it tell me the news and weather for the day. When I'm ready, turn the lights on, but only very dim.

I wish it integrated with BeyondPod, so it could play my podcasts as I go to bed too... but not yet.

Soldato
BTW guys, do you knwo it the dot is capable of playing music thru the jack while still having the voice feedback on the built in speaker?

It's just because the audio amp+kit is normally off, so it needs to be turned on (via alexa, with a 433 socket?) before I can play music, while I still need alexa feedback voice...

I'm in the same boat, except i have to manually turn on my stereo :(

Associate
I'm tempted to grab an Echo Dot, but is there any protection built in to prevent unwanted purchases?

For example, don't really fancy the kids walking in and saying "Alexa, order a PS4"

:D

Soldato
Do these things talk to each other? What I mean is, if I have two either side of the house and I start speaking whilst walking from one end to the other, will they cross over?

Soldato
Any tips for getting news by the way? I've tried asking for business/national/global news but all she gives me is a flash briefing which is only the local weather.

I've also not tried the purchasing thing yet but i'm trying to justify buying something just to check it out!

Soldato
Do these things talk to each other? What I mean is, if I have two either side of the house and I start speaking whilst walking from one end to the other, will they cross over?

No, but the nearest one will respond. It can't detect you walking around the house, it only listens for audio.

Soldato
It only does flash news updates, you can choose which website this is from in the settings of the app, I guess some have more info than others.

Not sure if you can have longer news broken down, someone may have made a skill for that (or whatever they are called)

Back
Top Bottom