• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Yes the way AMD cards get faster over time is really good actually. My 290 was a legendary card in this regard. Even the much derided, “bottlenecked “ etc. Fiji card I’m using now, seemed to struggle a bit with Hitman at 1440p on launch last year, but now that I’ve gone back to Hitman it plays it perfectly. No stutters at all, even on that engine. It’s even playing DXMD fine now, and nobody seemed to be able to get that game to perform properly on launch. Honestly I don’t even need a gpu upgrade anymore (although I still want one of course), which is good considering there’s nothing available!

Never seen DXMD play particularly well with anything above medium settings at 1440p or higher over a range of cards :( The Fury X is actually the most consistent I've seen IIRC and even then it couldn't run some settings at higher levels while other cards could but would be quite nasty in places - that engine is a bit meh (if you use ADS much in the game its a lot worse partly due to some mouse/framerate issues compared to running around not ADSing).

Caporegime
Same here actually, the 970 has enough grunt just not enough V-Ram for somethings, most importantly for me Star Citizen.

Its why i'm in no rush, i can wait for Vega and my next GPU be it Vega or a 1070 will be the last GPU i buy for some time.

Soldato
The good old "Ghz 780" beat the 290x by a good margin. Sounds like it was much faster than the Titan too then probably on par with the 780Ti. Why anyone would have bought the 780Ti then is beyond me lol.

Man of Honour
The good old "Ghz 780" beat the 290x by a good margin. Sounds like it was much faster than the Titan too then probably on par with the 780Ti. Why anyone would have bought the 780Ti then is beyond me lol.

lol not to derail the thread further but the conclusions on the reviews make me laugh:

"There are very few negatives we can discuss about this card as it is just that good."

"Gigabyte’s GTX 780 GHz Edition is a super impressive performing video card. We can only assume it is based off a new(er) stepping of the GTX 780 GPU because for its high clock speed the power consumption was tame and for the clock speed it seemed to be clock-per-clock faster than older GTX 780s we tested even on the same driver packages. Gigabyte’s GTX 780 GHz Edition is an absolute monster of a graphics card: it is a GTX Titan killer"

"What Gigabyte have done with their GTX 780 GHz Edition is impressive. They’ve taken a stock GTX 780, given it a massive 20% overclock, then added their highly effective WindForce cooling solution. To make it that little bit more special they’ve also thrown a backplate into the equation and all of this costs you just 10% more than a “normal” GTX 780."

Mine boosted to 1189MHz out the box IIRC which put it smack on the 780ti for a lot less money.

Permabanned
lol not to derail the thread further but the conclusions on the reviews make me laugh:

"There are very few negatives we can discuss about this card as it is just that good."

"Gigabyte’s GTX 780 GHz Edition is a super impressive performing video card. We can only assume it is based off a new(er) stepping of the GTX 780 GPU because for its high clock speed the power consumption was tame and for the clock speed it seemed to be clock-per-clock faster than older GTX 780s we tested even on the same driver packages. Gigabyte’s GTX 780 GHz Edition is an absolute monster of a graphics card: it is a GTX Titan killer"

"What Gigabyte have done with their GTX 780 GHz Edition is impressive. They’ve taken a stock GTX 780, given it a massive 20% overclock, then added their highly effective WindForce cooling solution. To make it that little bit more special they’ve also thrown a backplate into the equation and all of this costs you just 10% more than a “normal” GTX 780."

Mine boosted to 1189MHz out the box IIRC which put it smack on the 780ti for a lot less money.

Thats what pee'd me off regarding the EVGA 780 Classified, I bought one late in the day and you'd expect a card like that too be using the latest b1 version of the 780 gpu as found in cards like the Gigabyte ghz edition but it was still using the A1 version and struggled to overclock past 1070 mhz's and considering it came with a 993mhz stock clock it didn't do much for it. It was one of the most expensive models and back then there was no Kingpin editions so it should have been the best in class. As much as I like EVGA's customer service practises I won't bother paying the extra for an EVGA flagship again after that.

Soldato
Thats what pee'd me off regarding the EVGA 780 Classified, I bought one late in the day and you'd expect a card like that too be using the latest b1 version of the 780 gpu as found in cards like the Gigabyte ghz edition but it was still using the A1 version and struggled to overclock past 1070 mhz's and considering it came with a 993mhz stock clock it didn't do much for it. It was one of the most expensive models and back then there was no Kingpin editions so it should have been the best in class. As much as I like EVGA's customer service practises I won't bother paying the extra for an EVGA flagship again after that.

Yep tbf I always find that their cheaper models are best to go for because their overclocks are often poor and so really just pay for the warranty so the extra £40 for a 5 year over 3 year is worth it but not the different models in my opinion.

However the latest range does seem to be a little better but not much. Maybe it is limited to be able to offer such a warranty.

Soldato
Yes as an AMD user it means slightly slower hardware on launch

^ and that is the current problem for Amd, Not many people would want a slower card and be a guinea pig for amd's 'ambitious' tech.

Launch AMD release performance is at it's slowest then, which on it's slowest performance@launch, the 290 v 780 both win/lose some ~5 or ~10%..

it also means better hardware, better performance over time and better software and graphics in general as they push companies to move graphics tech forward.

^
This,

like it or loathe it-AMD kicked off the new wave of api's with Mantle(which kicked serious Nv butt at times-loved it:D), which was handed over to MS and no doubt helped(as Nv would have too) developing DX12 with MS, and Mantle handed off(as promised) to create the foundations of Vulkan.

Give me a card with performance now ( not a year from now ) and performs well in the future with the bonus of additional hardware/software features.

Still on your 780?

290 V 780 GPU 2016 Benchmarks http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1772?vs=1718

It's getting an absolute hiding now, Nv didn't perform well in the future, you've got to disable most GW's software features to get any fps to make it any less embarrassing, their bonus of additional hardware done nowt as it gets an absolute doing in DX12(as Nv lied they were the only fully compliant DX12 gpus-Async-don't everyone laugh now:D):

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18674807

^
Tell me you didn't fall for that:p?

Edit-reading through that DX12 link-Wooooooooft.

True colours shone through in that thread(preferred it when they didn't wear masks) heavy embarrassing now for those gleefully plugging that thread, especially as it was about AMD being truthful that they weren't fully DX12 compliant, where as Nvidia marketed it that they were-when history shows otherwise!;)

:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Launch AMD release performance is at it's slowest then, which on it's slowest performance@launch, the 290 v 780 both win/lose some ~5 or ~10%..

^
This,

like it or loathe it-AMD kicked off the new wave of api's with Mantle(which kicked serious Nv butt at times-loved it:D), which was handed over to MS and no doubt helped(as Nv would have too) developing DX12 with MS, and Mantle handed off(as promised) to create the foundations of Vulkan.

Still on your 780?

290 V 780 GPU 2016 Benchmarks http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1772?vs=1718

It's getting an absolute hiding now, Nv didn't perform well in the future, you've got to disable most GW's software features to get any fps to make it any less embarrassing, their bonus of additional hardware done nowt as it gets an absolute doing in DX12(as Nv lied they were the only fully compliant DX12 gpus-Async-don't everyone laugh now:D):

^

True colours shone through in that thread(preferred it when they didn't wear masks) heavy embarrassing now for those gleefully plugging that thread, especially as it was about AMD being truthful that they weren't fully DX12 compliant, where as Nvidia marketed it that they were-when history shows otherwise!;)

290 is way faster in some on those titles, in one case nearly twice as fast, like holy ####!

Also risky linking an old argument like that, that will now get bumped and started all over again.

Last edited:
Soldato
290 is way faster in some on those titles, in one case nearly twice as fast, like holy ####!

Well it's got to be one of AMD's best ever gpu's imo, scoffed at by the slaters, yet still kicking butt now all these years later, incredible vfm if you got one early and still rocking it now.

Also risky linking an old argument like that, that will now get bumped and started all over again.

It was used as an observation in my comments regarding my input on the topics I quoted, nothing more nothing less, it's not my fault if it gets bumped as I didn't write any of their posts-that's on them-not me.:)

Associate
Well it's got to be one of AMD's best ever gpu's imo, scoffed at by the slaters, yet still kicking butt now all these years later, incredible vfm if you got one early and still rocking it now.
I'm still rocking a 290X I bought on the MM for £300 in December 2013 (thanks uksoldierboy!). It's since been watercooled and still pllowing through games at 1440p.

I wish they'd geton and release Vega though, it's about time I upgraded!

Soldato

^
This,

Still on your 780?

^

Luckily i didn't goto windows 10 so i dont have dx12 as it does not interest me yet, i do play the division though which runs perfectly and i did play bf4, so like i have said many times the games i play run fine and faster than they ever have.

Certainly not going to buy a 1070 or 480 as its a waste of money 'IMO'.

Soldato
I'm still rocking a 290X I bought on the MM for £300 in December 2013 (thanks uksoldierboy!). It's since been watercooled and still pllowing through games at 1440p.

I wish they'd geton and release Vega though, it's about time I upgraded!

How are you on the MM when you need 1000 posts and only have 900 odd? Only want to know because I am missing out on all the deals and would actually like to purchase and sell to members here as it is our community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom