Son banned from Overwatch competitive play AGAIN

Soldato
Am I reading this correctly? If some dick decides that he doesn't like the character you chose to play then said dick can report you for it which can lead to you being banned from a game that you paid money for?

That's just wrong. I'd be ******* livid if that happened to me.

Happens in quite a few games, get into a premade team of 4 on CS GO and watch them all votekick you out of compet for not playing their way.

Soldato
Not even close to the same, worrying that people think it might be.

You might need to explain why it's not even close?

Am I reading this correctly? If some dick decides that he doesn't like the character you chose to play then said dick can report you for it which can lead to you being banned from a game that you paid money for?

That's just wrong. I'd be ******* livid if that happened to me.

Not entirely. You might be banned from Competition play. You can still play 80-90% of the game.

Love to know how many people in here have actually played overwatch.. some people talk so much ****..

I think this might be the issue. People aren't really understanding the game.

For the record, I do think it would be wrong to ban someone (from comp) simply for their choice of character. I think it would be right to do so if it is part of a troll, or if stats show they are completely ineffective at it and pick it over and over in comp play and many, many people report them for not adjusting to help the team.

Associate
Reporting/Banning people for playing characters in a game where the whole idea is to play different characters...

If it's that much of an issue, just have attack, tank and healer characters available on attack and the same on defence but with defence characters.

Soldato
You might need to explain why it's not even close?

Not entirely. You might be banned from Competition play. You can still play 80-90% of the game.

many people report them for not adjusting to help the team.

thats the key. Would not be surprised if this kid just picks hero he wants to play then never changes, you can't do that in comp. you need to adjust.

Soldato
Reporting/Banning people for playing characters in a game where the whole idea is to play different characters...

If it's that much of an issue, just have attack, tank and healer characters available on attack and the same on defence but with defence characters.

That would ruin the whole ethos of the game IMO.

Overwatch is a game to be played where character changing per map constantly is key.

It’s all about picks and counter picks based on different points of the map and how the game is going and the other teams composition etc.

Its all about being pro-active to start and then slowly reactive as the game develops.

That’s what makes it such a fun and diverse game.

This is also, why the skill cap is high. Being "good" with 1 or 2 heroes in this game does not make you a good player. You need to be effective with almost all of them, if not at least a handfull of each class.

Soldato
Yep so where you guys are saying you change who you pick and the person has selected one that the team doesn't fit the meta they play why should the get that person band.

Surely the meta of what works is personal and you consider teams and then pick your option, it doesn't have to be the same as what others think. This is all very similar to rainbow six siege where you need to pick characters to suit the team. lucky that most combinations work nicely in siege though and so the meta is wide open depending on play style.

This sounds like the balance is off or skewed so that only certain picks work and others don't which shouldn't be the case. If they are done right and people know how to play them then all should be effective regardless of the meta for both teams.

Soldato
This sounds like the balance is off or skewed so that only certain picks work and others don't which shouldn't be the case.

Of course it should be the case. It's kind of the whole point. Have you played the game? Some characters counter the other.

If you're playing against a really good Phara for example. You have a decent team setup, but nothing to counter it. You're asking your DPS guys (Mei and Reaper for example) can someone change to Soldier or McCree, but they ignore you all game long and Phara pretty much single handed wins the game. I wont lie, I would be a little annoyed with them both.

They could be amazing Mie's and Reapers, but they simply can't deal with a decent Phara.

Personally, I wouldn't report them, I would calmly point out they've not helped the team and contributed heavily to the loss, due to their reluctance to change, but if everyone else reported them for not playing as a team, I couldn't blame them. If they can't play Soldier or McCree, offer to switch to support or tank so someone else can. If they can't play any other characters, they probably shouldn't be in Comp tbh.

Soldato
Of course it should be the case. It's kind of the whole point. Have you played the game? Some characters counter the other.

If you're playing against a really good Phara for example. You have a decent team setup, but nothing to counter it. You're asking your DPS guys (Mei and Reaper for example) can someone change to Soldier or McCree, but they ignore you all game long and Phara pretty much single handed wins the game. I wont lie, I would be a little annoyed with them both.

They could be amazing Mie's and Reapers, but they simply can't deal with a decent Phara.

Personally, I wouldn't report them, I would calmly point out they've not helped the team and contributed heavily to the loss, due to their reluctance to change, but if everyone else reported them for not playing as a team, I couldn't blame them. If they can't play Soldier or McCree, offer to switch to support or tank so someone else can. If they can't play any other characters, they probably shouldn't be in Comp tbh.

I have played but only at a friends with limited time so don't know the details which is why I am asking and then having to compare more to Rainbow Six which is competitive with different classes/skills etc and have 70 odd hours in (actual game time rather than lobby & menu numbers included).

Are you saying because they are specific roles to counter that no other would work to the meta of the game currently? And in which case what if they have no idea how to play as them? They would be ineffective anyways.

If as you say though they can't play as another then yeah maybe they shouldn't be in comp however I do feel that suggesting the game is OK to force people to select a character based on the enemy is frustrating because what above the opposing team. Does that mean they have nothing to combat what your team is bringing and thus you should be able to take an advantage back and level the playing field.

Bad game design force people to pick only a select of characters to work against one another.

Soldato
I have played but only at a friends with limited time so don't know the details which is why I am asking and then having to compare more to Rainbow Six which is competitive with different classes/skills etc and have 70 odd hours in (actual game time rather than lobby & menu numbers included).

Are you saying because they are specific roles to counter that no other would work to the meta of the game currently? And in which case what if they have no idea how to play as them? They would be ineffective anyways.

If as you say though they can't play as another then yeah maybe they shouldn't be in comp however I do feel that suggesting the game is OK to force people to select a character based on the enemy is frustrating because what above the opposing team. Does that mean they have nothing to combat what your team is bringing and thus you should be able to take an advantage back and level the playing field.

Bad game design force people to pick only a select of characters to work against one another.

Having counterpicks is not bad game design. It's a fundamental part of almost every esport I can think of. League of Legends, Dota 2, Street Fighter (any fighting game really). All are entirely based around picking the right character that both works with your teammates and is effective against the enemy team. CSGO is probably the only exception to this, even Starcraft has favourable matchups.

Calling it bad game design is simply incorrect. All of the games I mentioned wouldn't work if every character was homogeneous and didn't have strengths and weaknesses that could be exploited by choosing a different character.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not a big fan of overwatch myself but saying it has bad design is just ridiculous.

You can't even compare overwatch to r6.

Overwatch is very much a team game, yet many still play it like a deathmatch - to get the most out of it you need to have a more dynamic approach that requires flexibility over who you can play. Every class has a purpose/strength, some for even certain sections of a map, but it all plays a role.

If you go into every match picking the same class time and time again regardless, then you are essentially screwing it up for everyone of your team mates.

If it's quickplay then unfortunately you need to accept a high chance of being surrounded by morons, but that's true for every online game - bf1 having 5 snipers outside of any cap point when it;s in enemy hands or the high number of 0-0 snipers - or r6 with people rushing around blindly, shooting areas of cover and generally being unstealthy while next to a group moving into position - the list goes on.

Proper induction/training before letting someone step foot into an online match might solve some of the issues, but people are selfish ****s sometimes, nothing can be done about that.

Soldato
I wont lie, I've been in a comp game that someone else has picked what I would like to play and I'm 'forced' into a support or tank role. I don't mind this if the team is then working, but it's not enjoyable when people that have taken that character can't fulfil their role.

Example, based on what I said above, I was playing yesterday and both DPS went very quickly. I chose Lucia, a support healer.

The enemy had a very good Phara, which shouldn't be a problem, we had a Soldier, Phara's counter. Unfortunately, no matter how much we asked him to focus on Phara, he barely ever even shot at her, kept saying 'I can't see Phara?'... you couldn't really miss her, flying around over our heads.

I probably should have asked him to simply switch out, but in the end our other DPS switched to McCree and started doing Soldiers job for him. We lost the game though. 20 minutes of annoyance really, but you can't just leave as it's a Comp match.

If we'd been a bit more forceful, asked him to switch and he wouldn't, I probably would report him.

If you play Quick Play, pick whatever you want , unless someone already has them. People don't really moan, they might say now and then 'we need a healer' but that's it. Do as you wish.

Back
Top Bottom