Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2022, Monza - Race 16

Rate the Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Will they wait for the end of the season?

Don't see them sacking their main sponsor's son mid-season, tbh.

On a different topic surely Binotto is fired now? Surely?

I think sacking Binotto would be a mistake. He's delivered their best car for years. But they need to look at the structure of the team and what Binotto's responsibilities are.

That said. I thought a gamble on VSC was the right choice and they were a little unlucky with the timing of it ending.

Caporegime
Think they handled the safety car correctly. Would have just reignited the Abu Dhabi arguments if they had red flagged it.

Every time they apply the safety car rules properly it will reignite the Abu Dhabi "argument", because the rules being thrown out to manipulate the title fight was such an egregious act, it won't be soon forgotten, if ever. (it isnt an argument by the way, what happened was just objectively wrong).

Whether people like it or not Max's 2021 title will always have a figurative asterix next to it, because he should not have won it according to the rules.

Soldato
Whether people like it or not Max's 2021 title will always have a figurative asterix next to it, because he should not have won it according to the rules.

For a very small percentage of fans maybe, most fans don't care and that's coming from me who is still a bit bitter about Schumacher crashing into Hill. ;) No once calls them 6* or 2* times world champions. People will remember Masi making that questionable call but it will not affect how people see Max's title.

Associate
For a very small percentage of fans maybe, most fans don't care and that's coming from me who is still a bit bitter about Schumacher crashing into Hill. ;) No once calls them 6* or 2* times world champions. People will remember Masi making that questionable call but it will not affect how people see Max's title.
I agree, it'll be a tiny footnote, and I think that's also largely down to the fact that there were so many bad calls throughout the season; the last one was just the most impactful/obvious one.

Even with Masi gone, it's still inconsistent. I don't know why they can't put down a set of parameters that make each call consistent.

Soldato
RBR got everything right again. Mind you, they are just too fast for anything else on the grid but fair play to them. Max’s first few laps were awesome and he capitalised to the maximum. A quality drive overall.
I don't think that's quite true. Compare Sainz carving through the field to Perez. I think the Ferrari was a quicker car on the day.

They just went full Binoto on the strategy. If Leclerc had gone hard under that VSC, I don't think Max would have had the speed to have taken him if he'd 1 stopped.

Associate
I don't think that's quite true. Compare Sainz carving through the field to Perez. I think the Ferrari was a quicker car on the day.

They just went full Binoto on the strategy. If Leclerc had gone hard under that VSC, I don't think Max would have had the speed to have taken him if he'd 1 stopped.
To be fair he did have fresh engine, and given how Charles struggled to get away from both Max and George, I don't think they had the better race pace. Even consider that Lewis made up the same positions in a worse car; obviously strategy plays a part but I think Carlos had a good overall strategy.

Soldato
I agree, it'll be a tiny footnote, and I think that's also largely down to the fact that there were so many bad calls throughout the season; the last one was just the most impactful/obvious one.

Even with Masi gone, it's still inconsistent. I don't know why they can't put down a set of parameters that make each call consistent.

Yeah, not really sure what's the best way here. Maybe keep the Virtual Safety Car for smaller/ easy to clear incidents, get rid of full SC, Red Flag the race and let people change tyres if they wish. Though even then you'll have people complaining that VSC should or should not have been used.

Guess you could do a pit lane start and let drivers start one by one at the gaps they had before the red flag.

Associate
Yeah, not really sure what's the best way here. Maybe keep the Virtual Safety Car for smaller/ easy to clear incidents, get rid of full SC, Red Flag the race and let people change tyres if they wish. Though even then you'll have people complaining that VSC should or should not have been used.

Guess you could do a pit lane start and let drivers start one by one at the gaps they had before the red flag.
Like I said earlier, if you need to get the tractor out, red flag the race. If the car is near an exit and the marshalls can push it off the track, get a SC. I think any situation where a car is stopped on track, you either get an SC or red flag because there are lives involved.

That aside, you'll always have people complaining but at least this way it's consistent. There were some terrible accidents in previous years where the person who caused it still won due to weak regs.

Soldato
I'd have preferred what they did in Abu Dhabi. Get rid of the lapped cars between the lead group and restart the race as soon as it was safe to do so.

The rule clarification has made the sport more boring to watch.

Soldato
Boring but fair. The result just got me a bit wound up for AD2021 but it is what it is. The sooner this season is over the better. Though I expect this is what the next few years are going to look like

Soldato
Red flagging every time they need a vehicle out to recover a car would be tedious.
These are meant to be some of the best drivers in the world, and Latifi. They should be able to operate appropriately under a VSC without risking anything.

Soldato
Red flagging every time they need a vehicle out to recover a car would be tedious.
These are meant to be some of the best drivers in the world, and Latifi. They should be able to operate appropriately under a VSC without risking anything.
But they used a crane to retrieve the car. I think that warrants a red flag especially when someone already died from crashing into a crane

Soldato
Boring but fair. The result just got me a bit wound up for AD2021 but it is what it is. The sooner this season is over the better. Though I expect this is what the next few years are going to look like
Next season's cars are going to be very interesting. Mercedes have opened a new avenue of development with their 'low-pods' this season. I wonder what Adrian Newey might come up with if there's no longer a requirement to keep your sidepods within the outline of safety structure.

Soldato
Yes, but other measures have been put into place to prevent that happening again.
Its still dangerous and can happen because lapped cars under sc do drive faster than the rest of the pack to catch up and all it takes Is say a break failure etc near where the tractor is at and another potential bad incident happens.

Seriously red flag it once you need a crane to pick up a car. It's not rocket science.

Why are people so against a red flag? It's better for safety and the spier sport as the race can continue as it left off.

Soldato
But they used a crane to retrieve the car. I think that warrants a red flag especially when someone already died from crashing into a crane
With all respect to Bianchi. He ultimately died because he failed to slow down for double waved yellows.
As I said in an earlier post, other mothersports seem to manage fine with VSC. If drivers are incapable of driving appropriately, and if they do not do so. Make an example of them.

People are against red flags for absolutely everything, because it is unnecessary.

Caporegime
I don't think anything needs to be down about the safety car. Sometimes races will finish under SC, that's life. They should switch to lapped cars dropping to the back and being credited a lap, but that's all.

Why are people so against a red flag? It's better for safety and the spier sport as the race can continue as it left off.

Because it's a slow procedure, adding a lot of time to the race. SC is quicker. It's also often more unfair than an SC.

Sainz is a better driver than Pérez, especially in traffic.

Max was faster than Leclerc prior to Leclerc's stop, and faster throughout. Catching and passing are different things, of course, but I suspect Max would have got 1st even if they'd run the same strategy as Red Bull.

Soldato
Max was faster than Leclerc prior to Leclerc's stop, and faster throughout. Catching and passing are different things, of course, but I suspect Max would have got 1st even if they'd run the same strategy as Red Bull.
You might be right. I think Leclerc was starting to loose his tyres before the VSC, as Max was catching him at a rate that seemed to be increasing each lap. Ultimately, it looks like RB got the strategy right with the level of downforce, to ensure their tyres lasted long enough to do a one stop.

Gotta hand it to Hannah Schmitz. She's nailing it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom