GOW Ragnarök thread + Spoilers (please tag them)

Soldato
This is strange.
Set it to favour quality with high frame mode on and I’m hitting 118fps
Set it to favour performance and I get 78-80fps.

This is on a LG C2 oled so I can check the fps by bringing up the game optimiser screen or mashing the green button on the remote to bring up a small fps box.

Anyone else finding this glitch?

I'm on a C2 as well, that's probably normal because you need the TV to refresh at 120hz to force 40fps, the frames have to divide evenly into 120hz as each frame is tripled and what's being shown is not the actual framerate but the current refresh rate of the TV, it's not really accurate anyways. VRR adjusts the refresh rate of the screen on the fly and it does it quickly. With Performance HRF + VRR your screen should refresh anywhere between 60-120hz on the fly.

With the game targeting 40fps, the screen refreshes at 120 and each frame is tripled, 120÷3=40.

Pretty sure that's what's going on, will check later. The refresh rate should still fluctuate with 40fps unlocked but the optimiser doesn't show this correctly, most likely.

Soldato
It's the same on my Qned 91 with green button. It shows it as 120Hz but its 40Hz as what Amatsubu states above it's refreshing 3 times to fit into the 120Hz.

I still cannot see any difference between the modes graphically. I have spent a few hours just switching between them and all look the same to me maybe you need to pause and Zoom into the pixels digital foundry style to see any difference.

Performance mode with High frame rate and VRR the Game looks and runs fantastic.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Should get a fair bit of time on this over the weekend, not that I’m in any rush to push through it, hoping to take my time. Love everything I’ve seen so far.

@MOOGLEYS agreed, can’t see a difference. The difference are subtle and seem to require a 400% zoom in as per digital foundry :p

Microsoft have a lot to do because I’m yet to play any titles that feel truly next gen on the XSX.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Should get a fair bit of time on this over the weekend, not that I’m in any rush to push through it, hoping to take my time. Love everything I’ve seen so far.

@MOOGLEYS agreed, can’t see a difference. The difference are subtle and seem to require a 400% zoom in as per digital foundry :p

Microsoft have a lot to do because I’m yet to play any titles that feel truly next gen on the XSX.
Glad you’re enjoying the PS ecosystem Captain.

I want I pick an xsx up at some point.. as my sky box is going, but, I think the only game I’d play is Forza Horizon. I’ll wait and see how starfield pans out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m about 4 hours into the game and haven’t even started
the quest for tyr. Spent hours doing the rigs and the big sea monster quests, plus hitting every beach I could find. If you haven’t done so do the rigs quest, you can craft a special set of armour that can give stun that doesn’t ever go away.

Soldato
I’m about 4 hours into the game and haven’t even started
the quest for tyr. Spent hours doing the rigs and the big sea monster quests, plus hitting every beach I could find. If you haven’t done so do the rigs quest, you can craft a special set of armour that can give stun that doesn’t ever go away.

I did the same. Well worth it.

Now I’m further in, I’m starting to get the GoW feeling again - really enjoying myself now I’m not all fingers and thumbs in combat! :p

Ive just come out the other side of the mines and now playing solo seeking out an old friend and a recent enemy. Pretty sure I’ve also found all possible openable chests which makes a big difference with apples and blood horn things. Also have an update for my twin blade things that charges Spartan rage.

Associate
I've been a massive fan of God Of War ever since the first release back on Playstation 2. I collect all trophies for all God of war games, including their remastered versions, on full difficulty. I just love greek methology and the spartan era.

Moving forward to Ragnarok. I'm just over 11 hours in, on full difficulty and it's every bit as good.

Soldato
The Tree Of Life Squirrel, best character I have seen in a game in a long time, oh and Bitter Squirrel sounds awesome also..

Soldato
I'll continue with Svartalheim today to see where it goes, so far it's pretty decent.

As for the visual differences between quality and performance I'd say they are noticeable as a whole:p The biggest giveaway is the worse shadow quality so the overall image seems flatter etc. and way less accurate SSRs. This can be seen clearly when looking at the reflective floor in Sindri's house, completely misaligned in performance mode and of worse quality. A bit softer image and some lost texture and fur detail and distant LOD, that one is no biggie compared to shadows. Overall, performance is still the way to go for most people without 120hz screens.

40fps is surprisingly playable for combat this slow, it's no Bayonetta or DMC with their technical requirements and speed but I need locked 40fps as unlocked jumping to around 45 feels weird even with vrr. I'd say 40fps is the actual "cinematic" mode, 30 fps is just dog****:p
Obviously, 60fps is super smooth so I might switch later on or do a second playthrough in that mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
About 15 hours in... Absolutely loving it... Story, characters, graphics, combat the conversations between everyone and mimir are really interesting if u like the lore... Also love the little puzzles and the mini bosses all feel different and the fights are epic..

Playing on give me god war difficulty (hardest) and only finding some bosses to be tricky bit once u learn there move set and get used to the parry windows u can easily set yourself up for some sick combos...

I really hope there's a new weapon soon...

Associate
About 15 hours in... Absolutely loving it... Story, characters, graphics, combat the conversations between everyone and mimir are really interesting if u like the lore... Also love the little puzzles and the mini bosses all feel different and the fights are epic..

Playing on give me god war difficulty (hardest) and only finding some bosses to be tricky bit once u learn there move set and get used to the parry windows u can easily set yourself up for some sick combos...

I really hope there's a new weapon soon...
I’m also about 15 hours In and loving it. I have much respect to those playing on gow difficulty, I have neither the patience nor the ability to play anything other than normal.

Soldato

flight sim 2020 is, at times maybe doesn’t show it, but under the correct conditions, weather, area flying, it’s definitely a “this gen” title.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
flight sim 2020 is, at times maybe doesn’t show it, but under the correct conditions, weather, area flying, it’s definitely a “this gen” title.

Sure, probably the only next gen title that Microsoft has released so far and it is impressive. Poor to have so few after this long though. Sony has multiple like Ragnarok that just kill it.

Soldato
I’m 15 hrs in now and the story is developing nicely. This is a lovely looking game but I’m not sure how much of it is the game and how much of it is my OLED TV! :p

One question I have, though, is that I read that in the last GoW the “between maps” parts where you are running on tree branches in that purple place until the next gate appears was there essentially as a loading screen.

However, the speed of the PS5 should negate the need for this? So is it still there as hangover to cater for PS4 systems, or does it actually serve a purpose on the PS5 other than for some needless character dialogue?

Does feel that the loading between areas should be a lot quicker given the potential in the PS5.

Soldato
I’m 15 hrs in now and the story is developing nicely. This is a lovely looking game but I’m not sure how much of it is the game and how much of it is my OLED TV! :p

One question I have, though, is that I read that in the last GoW the “between maps” parts where you are running on tree branches in that purple place until the next gate appears was there essentially as a loading screen.

However, the speed of the PS5 should negate the need for this? So is it still there as hangover to cater for PS4 systems, or does it actually serve a purpose on the PS5 other than for some needless character dialogue?

Does feel that the loading between areas should be a lot quicker given the potential in the PS5.

Catering for PS4, they've thrown in dialogues to make it more interesting and the whole thing stayed the same for the PS5 as they would've had to shoehorn those lines elsewhere otherwise.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Forza Horizon 4 & 5 look and run stunning nothing like it on PS5. Gears 5 also looks stunning easily as good as GOW...

I mean if you’re going to list upgraded titles Microsoft loses even more ground. What I’d give for another gears game though. Hopefully Starfield delivers.

Catering for PS4, they've thrown in dialogues to make it more interesting and the whole thing stayed the same for the PS5 as they would've had to shoehorn those lines elsewhere otherwise.

Definitely this. We’ve seen open world games on PS5 with almost instantaneous transitions.

Soldato
It’s a bit disappointing they couldn’t think of another way around this to allow the PS5 to shine.

Definitely feels semi-next gen for that reason, which is a shame.

Still a stonking good game though.

Re PS5 vs SX - I am lucky enough to have both but so far this gen it’s all about the PS5 for me. Barely using the SX, and I can’t see it changing now Sony have upgraded PS+ to compete with Gamepass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom