GOW Ragnarök thread + Spoilers (please tag them)

Man of Honour
It’s a bit disappointing they couldn’t think of another way around this to allow the PS5 to shine.

Definitely feels semi-next gen for that reason, which is a shame.

Still a stonking good game though.

Re PS5 vs SX - I am lucky enough to have both but so far this gen it’s all about the PS5 for me. Barely using the SX, and I can’t see it changing now Sony have upgraded PS+ to compete with Gamepass.

Hopefully we get some X and PS5 exclusive titles soon that aren’t held back by their predecessors and hopefully before the mid gen refresh. Console supply has probably led these decisions, it’s too much market share to cut out.

Soldato
Hopefully we get some X and PS5 exclusive titles soon that aren’t held back by their predecessors and hopefully before the mid gen refresh. Console supply has probably led these decisions, it’s too much market share to cut out.

Oh absolutely, I’m not suggesting they should discount the PS4 players given their market share is still pretty huge. But they have 2 versions of the game to download - it does not seem beyond the realms of possibility for them to tailor the PS5 version to the capabilities of the PS5 as part of their design process.

Might also help those adopting the PS5 to feel like their games are not being “held back”.

Soldato
Ragnorak was developed primarily as a PS4 game. Hopefully the next GOW will be a PS5 exclusive and push the new technologies further when not being held back by the previous generation.
I’d like that to be the case but I’m not sure it will be.

I would be happy with a better definition between PS4 and PS5 version of games but I appreciate for Ragnarok specifically, it might have been a bridge too far given the various challenges over its development period.

Soldato
The whole haptic feedback/adaptive triggers stuff is pretty nice all around, definitely adds something fresh to the games. I also like some of the sounds being played through the built-in speaker, surprisingly immersive:p

Soldato
The whole haptic feedback/adaptive triggers stuff is pretty nice all around, definitely adds something fresh to the games. I also like some of the sounds being played through the built-in speaker, surprisingly immersive:p
Ooooo, I didn’t know that re controller speaker. I turned mine off in main settings I think as I was playing a a game that wouldn’t allow me to disable it in game.

Soldato
Ooooo, I didn’t know that re controller speaker. I turned mine off in main settings I think as I was playing a a game that wouldn’t allow me to disable it in game.

Oh, absolutely turn it on then, you get things like wind blowing in Ghost of Tsushima or draw and tension of the bow in Forbidden West:D

Soldato
I never game on headphones. Don't like it and have always preferred speakers. It's enough that I have to use cans for other purposes so I'm kinda sick of them:p

Soldato
Well, I've just done the giant grandmother part. Honestly, this entire section was a slog. The whole Atreus learning about the consequences about following the prophecy blindly is dragging, he's beginning to come across like he's a retard. Everyone but him gets it.

Hope the pace picks up

Last edited:
Soldato
I am only about 8h in but I am a little bit disappointed so far, the main reason for this is that it just feel like the same God of War game from few years ago with just a new story. Oh, well, it is still a good game though don't get me wrong. I will give a final verdict once I complete the main story and most of the side content.

Soldato
I am only about 8h in but I am a little bit disappointed so far, the main reason for this is that it just feel like the same God of War game from few years ago with just a new story.

That’s what’s putting me off buying it as it looks very similar to the first game.

I’ll probably pick it up after Xmas when I can grab a second hand copy as the £70 RRP is also putting me off giving it a try.

Associate
I am only about 8h in but I am a little bit disappointed so far, the main reason for this is that it just feel like the same God of War game from few years ago with just a new story. Oh, well, it is still a good game though don't get me wrong. I will give a final verdict once I complete the main story and most of the side content.
Is that a bad thing, GoW 2018 was already a great game? I’m not sure they really needed to change much.

Soldato

I feel the same and have given up after about 8-10 hours. The first game was worth a play for me but not remotely ground breaking in any way.

This one is more of the same but the graphics are no longer holding up. The extremely linear level design and convoluted controls for combat just put me off.

Press L3, hold forward, hold triangle, tap L1 to get a special etc. It became so convoluted to get one of the special weapon moves, that I ended up button mashing L1 for light attack.

Nowhere near as good as the first game and the first game was hardly amazing.

Soldato
I feel the same and have given up after about 8-10 hours. The first game was worth a play for me but not remotely ground breaking in any way.

This one is more of the same but the graphics are no longer holding up. The extremely linear level design and convoluted controls for combat just put me off.

Press L3, hold forward, hold triangle, tap L1 to get a special etc. It became so convoluted to get one of the special weapon moves, that I ended up button mashing L1 for light attack.

Nowhere near as good as the first game and the first game was hardly amazing.

Feeling the same. The gated sections hidden behind loading "doors" is really grating for a ps5 showcase. Occurs every 5 steps. Disadvantage of developing for 2 systems .

I played HZFW just before this. For an open world game the graphics/loading was miles ahead. Even the story was more engaging.

Last edited:
Soldato
Feeling the same. The gated sections hidden behind loading "doors" is really grating for a ps5 showcase. Occurs every 5 steps. Disadvantage of developing for 2 systems .

I played HZFW just before this. For an open world game the graphics/loading was miles ahead. Even the story was more engaging.

I just completed the last of us part 1 and 2 and both felt more polished than GOW Ragnarok. HZFW is my go to PS5 showcase game and GOW Ragnarok is just not in the same league at any level.

GOW Ragnarok has its moments but really sick of all the 10/10 and 100 reviews that imply perfection.

Soldato
If I recall. When cyberpunk came out , it was "perfection 10/10" paid reviews. Albeit gamespot were one of the few who highlighted the many issues and gave it 8/10.

Yet again we have a 10/10 game. Gamespot again highlighting issues 8/10. User reviews on metacritic also falling, currently sat around 8.

I would agree with that score. There's a good game here but affected by pacing, some character choices, reuse of previous locations/enemies and tech issues that shouldn't exist on the PS5.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom