Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Soldato
I did my usual, after waiting years to upgrade my MBP they announced the M2 version and that day I somehow ended up ordering an iPad Pro M2 instead.

MBP hasn’t been used since, not once. Honestly cannot believe how well the iPad works. I do all my photography on it too now, for years I hated on Lightroom CC opting for Classic but it does literally 99% of what I could do before. Also surprised how well Microsoft Office works on it too. Apple have nailed it (apart from the price tag, it was a bit of a joke after speccing the pen and keyboard).

Caporegime
As I've said previously, I wouldn't buy a pro again anyway. Total overkill running iPadOS. I had the 10.5 pro which my son inherited when I got this one, so probably 6 or so years old. He still has better battery life than my M1 version and plays all the same games etc. All I would miss is Face ID and four speakers for the few times I need them if I just bought an Air or base model next time.

Associate
I did my usual, after waiting years to upgrade my MBP they announced the M2 version and that day I somehow ended up ordering an iPad Pro M2 instead.

MBP hasn’t been used since, not once. Honestly cannot believe how well the iPad works. I do all my photography on it too now, for years I hated on Lightroom CC opting for Classic but it does literally 99% of what I could do before. Also surprised how well Microsoft Office works on it too. Apple have nailed it (apart from the price tag, it was a bit of a joke after speccing the pen and keyboard).
Did you go with the 11" or 12.9" display ? And how much storage ? What size files are you editing with LR ? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm considering upgrading my ancient MacBook Air. Photoediting would be one of my main uses for it. Prices are mouthwatering, though.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I bought the M1 iPad Pro, I did so mainly for reading ebooks and writing notes. The reading ebooks bit went well, and I enjoy reading Kindle ebooks on it. I also have a large collection of ePub ebooks which I store on my Mac using Calibre. I then sync them to the cloud using Book Fusion and download them on the iPad Pro.

I would like to see if there are any other decent ebook reading experiences out there. I've played with Apple Books but find it harder to use than the Amazon Kindle app. What are the popular ebook stores that have an iPad app? I'm mainly interested in fiction but I might get the odd technical book.

In terms of writing notes, I was going to get the Magic Keyboard, but I'm not sure that would work when lying in bed (yes, I am lazy).

Edit: I've done some reading on ePub ebook readers on the iPad so any recommendations on that front would be appreciated. Anything that makes getting them from Calibre on my Mac to the iPad Pro would be great.

Edit 2: Hmm. The magic keyboard is on sale for £279 and is available to be paid in 5 instalments. Now I'm really tempted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit 2: Hmm. The magic keyboard is on sale for £279 and is available to be paid in 5 instalments. Now I'm really tempted.
FWIW, the case (11 inch assume?), has been £279 at most retailers for as long as I’ve known so no need to rush into a decision now if you’re not 100% sure.
I have the case for my Air but I recently got the 12.9 Pro and opted for the Logitech Combo case due to its much better versatility.
When using in “laptop” mode the MK wins hands down but for everything else the Logitech is better. It has more tilt angles and of course you can remove the keyboard much like the Surface devices.

Soldato
FWIW, the case (11 inch assume?), has been £279 at most retailers for as long as I’ve known so no need to rush into a decision now if you’re not 100% sure.
I have the case for my Air but I recently got the 12.9 Pro and opted for the Logitech Combo case due to its much better versatility.
When using in “laptop” mode the MK wins hands down but for everything else the Logitech is better. It has more tilt angles and of course you can remove the keyboard much like the Surface devices.
Thank you for the reply. I think I'm going to skip the magic keyboard. Too expensive for something I wouldn't use much.

Soldato
Thank you for the reply. I think I'm going to skip the magic keyboard. Too expensive for something I wouldn't use much.
Maybe worth looking on here

Do note there this to be paid on top of the winning bids
25% Buyers Premium + 20% VAT + Shipping Cost

Last edited:
Associate
Seen these are floating for 530 new but debating somewhat.

Feels to me like a sensible purchase considering the price. Want it as a media consumption device and something to take notes on, nothing too taxing but even with the M1 chip, would expect to get another 5 years out of it ?

Normally I would always go for the latest and greatest but hard to justify such an increase in price.

Soldato
Seen these are floating for 530 new but debating somewhat.

Feels to me like a sensible purchase considering the price. Want it as a media consumption device and something to take notes on, nothing too taxing but even with the M1 chip, would expect to get another 5 years out of it ?

Normally I would always go for the latest and greatest but hard to justify such an increase in price.
Yeah they are currently 529 at costco for the ipad pro 3rd Gen (M1) 11 inch silver 128gb which is a pretty good deal. I am tempted but i fear that if i buy one it will get little use and may as well save my money for the new iphone come sept.

Soldato
Easy, I'm still using a 2018 Pro and I've never once thought it was slow.
I have a 2018 Pro as well and I concur, it definitely hasn't slowed however the battery life has depleted considerably over the years.
I appreciate this isn't an apples to apples comparison but I'd be lucky if I got 2 days from my 2018 Pro whereas I can easily get a week from my 12.9 2022 Pro.

Man of Honour
I have a 2018 Pro as well and I concur, it definitely hasn't slowed however the battery life has depleted considerably over the years.
I appreciate this isn't an apples to apples comparison but I'd be lucky if I got 2 days from my 2018 Pro whereas I can easily get a week from my 12.9 2022 Pro.
Oh yeah, I used to leave mine for what felt like weeks in between battery charges, now it's much less. And I have a crack across the screen, but, it's still going strong for watching Twitch/Plex/YouTube and I'll keep to until it dies I think. Not once have I thought it's slow though.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Oh yeah, I used to leave mine for what felt like weeks in between battery charges, now it's much less. And I have a crack across the screen, but, it's still going strong for watching Twitch/Plex/YouTube and I'll keep to until it dies I think. Not once have I thought it's slow though.

I never find its slow but I do find that it struggles to maintain apps i.e. it has to refresh them or reload safari tabs which is annoying. Main issue is battery life. Its currently pretty awful.

I am considering another iPad to replace this because my partners iPad is old, has a cracked screen and is generally on its last legs. She can take the 11" and I will replace it with something newer for work.

I love the pro and would like another but man they are getting expensive. I am also tempted to get one of the models with 16gb RAM but then you are looking at £1400 for a last gen refurb on the 12.9" version. They are getting far too far towards the realms of macbook pros for my liking.

I guess that up to a point a 12.9" iPad Pro is basically a macbook pro sans keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom