Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Soldato
I never find its slow but I do find that it struggles to maintain apps i.e. it has to refresh them or reload safari tabs which is annoying. Main issue is battery life. Its currently pretty awful.

I am considering another iPad to replace this because my partners iPad is old, has a cracked screen and is generally on its last legs. She can take the 11" and I will replace it with something newer for work.

I love the pro and would like another but man they are getting expensive. I am also tempted to get one of the models with 16gb RAM but then you are looking at £1400 for a last gen refurb on the 12.9" version. They are getting far too far towards the realms of macbook pros for my liking.

I guess that up to a point a 12.9" iPad Pro is basically a macbook pro sans keyboard.

This is my big issue with them as well, they’re just getting to the stage where they are stupidly expensive for what they are. Add in the (for me) essential magic keyboard you‘re just shy of 2k. I’d have already upgraded as I hate the battery life in the M pros the previous ones were so much better. I gave my mum my older 11 pro 3th gen and that thing still last longer with a similar amount of use.

Soldato
So I've been doing some thinking. I mainly use my iPad Pro for reading eBooks but I've started to think it might be a good to get the Magic Keyboard so I can split screen and also allow a decent typing experience.

Does that sound reasonable?

Soldato
So I've been doing some thinking. I mainly use my iPad Pro for reading eBooks but I've started to think it might be a good to get the Magic Keyboard so I can split screen and also allow a decent typing experience.

Does that sound reasonable?
Apologies but wasn’t it the 11 inch model you have? In terms of split screening I’m not really a fan of it on my 12.9 so it would be totally unusable on 11 (for me anyway). I always prefer one screen to focus on so multitasking/split screening isn’t a particularly useful feature for me. But then again there was a good old ding dong over on the iPhone thread with people who can split screen on a phone so horses for courses!
As for the keyboard itself, I actually opted for the Logitech Touch Combo for my iPad and I enjoy it much more than the Magic Keyboard. I’m not saying it’s better (because typing wise it isn’t) but I found the extra versatility much more useful i.e. being able to detach the keyboard and still have the iPad in a case (which can also be stood up).
And it’s cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies but wasn’t it the 11 inch model you have? In terms of split screening I’m not really a fan of it on my 12.9 so it would be totally unusable on 11 (for me anyway). I always prefer one screen to focus on so multitasking/split screening isn’t a particularly useful feature for me. But then again there was a good old ding dong over on the iPhone thread with people who can split screen on a phone so horses for courses!
As for the keyboard itself, I actually opted for the Logitech Touch Combo for my iPad and I enjoy it much more than the Magic Keyboard. I’m not saying it’s better (because typing wise it isn’t) but I found the extra versatility much more useful i.e. being able to detach the keyboard and still have the iPad in a case (which can also be stood up).
And it’s cheaper.
Thank you.

My original plan was to get the magic keyboard so I could have a text book open on one half the screen and a note taking app on the other. I do have a MBA which would do the job as well but I find I get more distracted on my laptop. I'll check out the Logitech though. It sounds interesting.

Soldato
I’ve never really aced the whole split screen thing on my iPad. I occasionally use it, but most times I end up messing it up and not knowing how to move it around properly…

Again, I just wish they’d let us use MacOS on the iPad - the whole iPad alternative version didn’t sit well with me…

Man of Honour
My previous 2018 iPad Pro had a crack right across the screen, I didn't have AC+ and due to the cost to replace the screen it was effectively an uneconomical write off. I kept using it for a few years as unless the sun was on it or you were looking at it, it was difficult to notice.

I got a new one gifted by work for apparently going above and beyond (I just did my job), so I sold the old one to Music Magpie who gave me £30 for it. I took the new one to Tenerife a few weeks ago and a certain someone (me) drank San Miguel all day and then had several glasses of wine afterwards. I woke up at 3m on the sofa with the iPad screen down on the floor. :rolleyes::cry: Yup, bloody screen is cracked! Luckily I did buy AC+ for it, so it's only £59 to have the screen replaced rather than £600.

Soldato
My previous 2018 iPad Pro had a crack right across the screen, I didn't have AC+ and due to the cost to replace the screen it was effectively an uneconomical write off. I kept using it for a few years as unless the sun was on it or you were looking at it, it was difficult to notice.

I got a new one gifted by work for apparently going above and beyond (I just did my job), so I sold the old one to Music Magpie who gave me £30 for it. I took the new one to Tenerife a few weeks ago and a certain someone (me) drank San Miguel all day and then had several glasses of wine afterwards. I woke up at 3m on the sofa with the iPad screen down on the floor. :rolleyes::cry: Yup, bloody screen is cracked! Luckily I did buy AC+ for it, so it's only £59 to have the screen replaced rather than £600.

At least this has only cost you £29 altogether then if you got it for free and £30 from mm :D

My 2018 is still going strong, I want an M series purely for the display as I sometimes plug it into a display and it's only mirrored on this one.

Man of Honour
Well, I did have to pay tax on the work gift at the higher rate, so overall I'm down but I do have an M1 model. Not that I've noticed any difference from the 2018 model.

Back
Top Bottom