The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
oh bloody hell, sounds like a nightmare buyer. the pointing is easily sorted by any competent builder and gutter cleaning is like what...£70? rest of the fixtures and fittings would probably be changed if they move in anyway...so they're being very unreasonable.
if your asking price is reasonable and you're a reasonable seller...would avoid this buyer.
i'm sure he'll try to gazunder as well if the sale progressed lol.

The builder we're buying from are saying they want an exchange of contracts within 6 weeks, even though the house won't be ready till August/September.
At least if he tries to gazunder then it won't be close to completion.

Soldato
As longs as it's sold 'STC' you could be missing out on more legit buyers.

Did you have many viewings/ are you confident it's competetivley priced?

Of course don't cut your nose off to spite your face if you are asking a little bit too much, you have to be realistic, but equally these perspective buyers sound like an absolute nightmare, and if they are not cash buyers, I'd politley tell them to jog on.

Everything is a negotiation, but there are limits.

Soldato
I always thought the house was sold as seen almost and priced that way. So like if i look at a house with 30 year old decor and interior i would expect it to be listed to reflect that wouldn't dream of offering asking price and then saying oh your house needs modernizing. Are they first time buyers who have been watching the snagging videos on newbuilds?

What's peoples normal search window for houses? I had mine set at 3 miles but found one in the next search window (5 miles) it says it will take 12-16 minutes at peak times to get to the kids school compared to the 2 minutes i have now. We're lucky where we live as house prices are decent : https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/144432188#/?channel=RES_BUY

Soldato
I always thought the house was sold as seen almost and priced that way. So like if i look at a house with 30 year old decor and interior i would expect it to be listed to reflect that wouldn't dream of offering asking price and then saying oh your house needs modernizing. Are they first time buyers who have been watching the snagging videos on newbuilds?

What's peoples normal search window for houses? I had mine set at 3 miles but found one in the next search window (5 miles) it says it will take 12-16 minutes at peak times to get to the kids school compared to the 2 minutes i have now. We're lucky where we live as house prices are decent : https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/144432188#/?channel=RES_BUY

Funnily enough, I used to live in Dalton. From memory, traffic was never too bad getting around. Public transport is fairly non-existent, though!

Soldato
Yeh i noticed there's a train near by but no idea on reliability. We have family in Dalton up near the church and currently live in Barrow. I know around here we're fairly closed off so maybe 15 minutes or so to get to school is normal for most and i've just been spoilt.

Soldato
Yeh i noticed there's a train near by but no idea on reliability. We have family in Dalton up near the church and currently live in Barrow. I know around here we're fairly closed off so maybe 15 minutes or so to get to school is normal for most and i've just been spoilt.

Dalton is handy for schools. I lived a one minute walk from my infant and primary and ten min walk from my secondary. Then a ten min drive to sixth form in Barrow. If I was living in Barrow, I'd be looking at Hawcoat or Roose as they're decent areas.

Associate
There definitely seems to be an increase in people like this about. We bought our current house in January and the sellers were there for our second viewing and they said they'd had someone just **** away 2 months of their time by constantly quibbling on everything. Windows are old double glazing so that's 5k off, backdoor needs changing so that's another 1.2k, the conservatory is cold so insulating that is another 4k.

When we sold our house last year we had two people that really got on my nerves. One kept commenting on the colour of paint we'd chosen in the hall and lounge - and it was genuinely like 'if you buy the house, you can paint it whatever sodding colour you want'. They also kept saying the stairs were steep???

The other viewed the house, was very pleasant, then put an offer 100k below asking because she felt that the market was inflated and believed this was what the house was actually worth.

That was a nice feeling to say not only are we rejecting your offer but we will not consider any others from you - and the house then sells for asking a week later.

Soldato
There definitely seems to be an increase in people like this about. We bought our current house in January and the sellers were there for our second viewing and they said they'd had someone just **** away 2 months of their time by constantly quibbling on everything. Windows are old double glazing so that's 5k off, backdoor needs changing so that's another 1.2k, the conservatory is cold so insulating that is another 4k.

When we sold our house last year we had two people that really got on my nerves. One kept commenting on the colour of paint we'd chosen in the hall and lounge - and it was genuinely like 'if you buy the house, you can paint it whatever sodding colour you want'. They also kept saying the stairs were steep???

The other viewed the house, was very pleasant, then put an offer 100k below asking because she felt that the market was inflated and believed this was what the house was actually worth.

That was a nice feeling to say not only are we rejecting your offer but we will not consider any others from you - and the house then sells for asking a week later.

Crikey. Not looking forward to this potential nonsense. Price attractively, sell as seen and negotiate on critical survey items is my policy.

Soldato
Crikey. Not looking forward to this potential nonsense. Price attractively, sell as seen and negotiate on critical survey items is my policy.

This... If a house is priced like it needs no major work but then the survey comes back saying it needs a new roof then of course I'd be asking for the cost of that be knocked off unless the house was already the price of a new roof cheaper than the competition..

Old double glazing, no.. Unless it's blown or leaking or knackered in some way... If it's just old but well sealed etc then it is what it is.

Man of Honour
i suspect that some buyers think that because it's currently a buyers market, that a seller will automatically bow to their demands to make the sale
i guess the buyers found out it doesn't work that way... :cry:

Associate
One thing I'll add is, we have been looking at 3 bedroom houses. That 3rd bedroom in 95% of the houses we have looked at is so small most of them can't really be used as a bedroom.

Soldato
One thing I'll add is, we have been looking at 3 bedroom houses. That 3rd bedroom in 95% of the houses we have looked at is so small most of them can't really be used as a bedroom.

Definitely. 3 double bedrooms is the next category of house and will likely cost significantly more than 2.5.

Soldato
Rare to find a 3 bed with decent rooms it seems. Some of the new builds around here have 4 or 5 beds with one that is decent size and the rest small box rooms.

We looked around one today we liked, so will ring up int he morning. The people selling are moving to a new build so need to find out how long that will be as it could make the chain simple or hard work

Back
Top Bottom