Recent NYC trippers i got a question.

Caporegime
How did you get on with being IDed for stuff on your trip?

Im reading a lot of compulsory IDs being needed for bars, its policy even if you look 40 you need to prove it.. stupid, its the law... OK.

The other thing which is a possibly true. ID cards when going to a museum or entry to a tourist attraction?

Some people saying they are carrying their passports 24/7 others saying any photo ID will do. Even a Sweden issued one in my case.

I am completely 100% uncomfortable with carry my passport around day to day.

If anything did happen god forbid losing that would be a holiday breaker.... ID card... Ok whatever

Soldato
I didn’t go to any night clubs or that but frequented countless bars and not once did I get asked for ID.

Also you should carry your passport with you when on holiday, sod leaving it in the hotel safe for someone to nick it. Stick it in your bum pocket.

Associate
I don’t recall being ID’d at all when there early march and I had a few beers from a few places (I am early 40s so maybe that’s a point of difference).

Passport wise, I was the opposite and stored it in the safe. Much safer than losing it whilst getting phone/wallet out.

Caporegime
I didn’t go to any night clubs or that but frequented countless bars and not once did I get asked for ID.

Also you should carry your passport with you when on holiday, sod leaving it in the hotel safe for someone to nick it. Stick it in your bum pocket.

I think I got id once and showed them my driving license.

Soldato

:cry::cry: what rubbish. You've got a lot more chance of being pickpocketed and losing it that way than it being robbed from your room safe. Unless you happen to just frequent the most dodgy hotels in the city?

Soldato

If you want to carry your passport fair enough - but deffo not in the bum pocket!! Not inside jacket or 'fanny pack' etc either, front pocket always.

Caporegime
OP
The biggest one that's I'm worried about. On behalf of my nagging wife, who's driving me quietly mad on the matter is, she thinks we are going to be IDed going into museums, attractions, up empire state buildings, even into Broadway shows......

Given The tight itinerary we've given ourselves going back to the hotel to grab a passport is gonna be a bloody nightmare......

I'm now reading take another photo I'd (drivers licence) and have a copy of the passport on your phone.

She had her bag stolen first trip she ever took to London lol, so I think she's got a bit of a thing going on here....

I'm clumsy and stupid I don't wanna just drop it while buying a sandwich

Associate
The biggest one that's I'm worried about. On behalf of my nagging wife, who's driving me quietly mad on the matter is, she thinks we are going to be IDed going into museums, attractions, up empire state buildings, even into Broadway shows......

Given The tight itinerary we've given ourselves going back to the hotel to grab a passport is gonna be a bloody nightmare......

I'm now reading take another photo I'd (drivers licence) and have a copy of the passport on your phone.

She had her bag stolen first trip she ever took to London lol, so I think she's got a bit of a thing going on here....

I'm clumsy and stupid I don't wanna just drop it while buying a sandwich

i have been 3 times, the last one was end of feb this year you wont be ID

passports went in the safe until we left.

if it bothers you just screenshot passport and drivers license if you have one.

Last edited:
Soldato
We got citypass too.
Yeah it's all in hand now thx.

Best thing you did?
Worst most over rated?

Best thing: Probably the ferry to lady liberty and Ellis Island and chilling. The Comedy Cellar was a good laugh too.
Worst: Not sure I had a bad or overated thing. Maybe I wouldn't bother with going up the top of Rockerfeller because One World Observatory and Empire State were better.

Avoid all "Charity" people, they'll be scamming. Laugh at the bald chinese guys pretending to be monks and offering tokens and beads for money.

Last edited:
Soldato
We got citypass too.
Yeah it's all in hand now thx.

Best thing you did?
Worst most over rated?
The marvel and Greenwich village walking tours were both really good if you're that way inclined. Did these on the last 2 days as we had the city pass but really glad we did.

Go to a show, I wasn't sure the first time I went but enooyed it so much it was a must last time, just head down to time square and get some from the tkts stand.

As above comedy shows are great and just require you to buy a couple of drinks usually. Well worth some time in the evening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom