Upgrade family PC?

Man of Honour
Unfortunately, there seems to be a failure of some sort that I have advised them of. It is as follows:

After upgrading the bios to F31, it rebooted as it should, but on restart it stops at the GIGABYTE Logo. No matter what I do, I cannot get into the Bios using the keyboard. I have even reset the Bios several times. I even took the CMOS battery out and left it for an hour, fitted a new battery. Still no joy.
Later I removed the win10 NVME and restartarted. It then kept looking for an operating system.
Hi mate really sorry to hear you're having issues with the bios update. Could I suggest a possible workaround?
Could you try the bios with an empty SSD and a windows bootable iso?
Reason being is that it sounds like you're still able to POST to the point of searching for an OS...this will mean that the mobo should be able to find the bootable usb stick, and also mean that you may be able to do an installation of windows to the SSD, hopefully bypassing whatever issues the bios is having.
(You can download the windows 10 bootable usb from Microsoft website but you'll need the use of another pc)

Man of Honour
Thanks. I also need thermal paste.
I'm pretty sure those coolers include paste.

I did not see the 12600KF discounted on Overclockers. Is it?
Hmm. OC only have the discounted 12700KF, from what I can see.

I would prefer the motherboard without wifi. I wired my lounge and two bedrooms in my house with cat 5 in the 1990s, so wifi not essential. This was when I ran a game server in the data center in New York.....from my house near Oxford.
OC don't have an equivalent DDR5 board to the B760 Gaming Plus without wifi. I'd suggest the B760 DS3H DDR5.

Associate
OP
Hi mate really sorry to hear you're having issues with the bios update. Could I suggest a possible workaround?
Could you try the bios with an empty SSD and a windows bootable iso?
Reason being is that it sounds like you're still able to POST to the point of searching for an OS...this will mean that the mobo should be able to find the bootable usb stick, and also mean that you may be able to do an installation of windows to the SSD, hopefully bypassing whatever issues the bios is having.
(You can download the windows 10 bootable usb from Microsoft website but you'll need the use of another pc)
Thanks I had already created a bootable USB stick. I will give it a go tomorrow. I have a blank 500gb ssd as well.
Having said that, I cannot figure out why it gets stuck at the Logo, but with the WIN 10 nvme removed, it looks for a bootable drive of sorts. In the end, I have still got to get back into the BIOS, whatever media is loaded. Go figure.
Peter

Associate
OP
I can only see the 12600KF at £229.99! Where is it discounted?
OK. I presume I will have no problem with Windows 11 being the latest hardware?
Sorry.....It might be niaive to ask, but things fly by and one loses touch after 7 years away from building a PC!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I submitted yet another query to Gigabyte the other day, however, they have not replied to my BIOS stuck at the logo screen, I must presume the AB 350 gaming3 is finished(bricked). I see many reports of others having the same so I am going to do a new build with some bits from my old rig.
I have several questions as follows:

1. I am going to keep my:
MSI Geforce 1060 + 6 GB for the time being.
My 2TB Nvme M.2

And purchase the following:
Midi Case with 6 fans.
MSI B760 Gaming Plus WIFI (LGA 1700) DDR5 ATX Motherboard.
TeamGroup Vulcan 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-44800C36 5600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Intel i5 12600k processor. (google my friend)
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler, PA120 SE.
The main question is, will my Corsair HX620W Modular Power Supply be up to the task if I do not overclock the CPU?

2. I did see a comment about the above motherboard having the wifi module in one of M.2 slots. Surely not? Not that I will be using the M2. slot nor the WiFi module.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
2. I did see a comment about the above motherboard having the wifi module in one of M.2 slots. Surely not? Not that I will be using the M2. slot nor the WiFi module.
WIFI modules are usually Key-E, which is a different type of M.2 slot and I didn't see the comment, but they may have been telling you that because a WIFI card in a Key-E slot is user removeable.

That said, if you have to take off the heatsinks to get at it, perhaps best avoided, since some of these boards make that a very unpleasant process.

Intel i5 12600k processor. (google my friend)
Unless you have found something I haven't, I don't think the K is being discounted, only the IGP-less KF.

Man of Honour
I submitted yet another query to Gigabyte the other day, however, they have not replied to my BIOS stuck at the logo screen, I must presume the AB 350 gaming3 is finished(bricked).
i'm guessing the windows boot usb + blank ssd did not work then?

Associate
OP

i'm guessing the windows boot usb + blank ssd did not work then?
Just to expand on this, I removed the SSD, but as soon as I tried all USB slots, it just kept giving me a flashing cursor. Even if I had got it to boot, there would have no way to get back into the front end of the BIOS to do anything. None of usual keyboard inputs would work.

Associate
OP
I'd stick with it unless you really need to save the money, but that was my spec, so I would say that :D
I am not trying to save money! That is why I am asking all these naive questions. After being out of touch for 7 years, I need to catch up. It is simple enough for me to build one after building 150 or so back in the 1990s. I started with a 286 and MSDOS 3.0. Then Windows 3.1.

Back
Top Bottom