Road Cycling

Soldato
Bike fit done. He laughed at how low my saddle was.
Increased it 3cm and then said to increase it myself by up to another 0.5-1cm once I’d adjusted to this.

Luckily stem is fine but as the seatpost is offset. Raising the saddle pushes the it further back. He said that ideally I’d be further forward so a new seatpost without the offset would be more important than new handlebars.

Luckily I’d done some research and specced the correct width bar when buying.

Probably not ideal after yesterdays ride as I was pretty stiff/sore.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Question for you boys with the deeper rims. I want a backup latex inner tube for some 50mm depth wheels I have. Well, either that or another lightweight tube. All of them seem to be 48mm stems in general. Is there such a thing as 80mm latex tube that doesn't rely on extenders? Seems bizarre considering most people buying non butyl would have a passing interest in performance and likely have some reasonably deep rims. And by deep I mean more than 25mm!

Tempted by some of these TPU tubes as backups for the saddle bag but they seem to be a bit of a nightmare with easily puncturing or getting damaged simply by rattling around in your bag.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good work on the long ride @Martynt74 Are you feeling ready for the real deal yet?

I’d say I was until the last horrific half hour.
I’ve done about 2 rides a similar duration before but obviously with much more stopping and didn’t feel that level of discomfort/fatigue.

Realistically it’s good as it shows me what I need to work on and I just need to keep building up. Probably try and concentrate on more 2-3hr rides to get my body adapted and then push on again.

Not sure what is best. Try and nail the distance on flattish terrain (still would end up ~1200m ascent) and then throw in more hill work or whether I just try and combine increasing distance and hills together.

Soldato
I just need to keep building up
Definitely this and I would work on combining increasing distance and hills together to get up to your target.

It's funny, I've been thinking about a short Spanish getaway later in the year and I thought about your ride. Looking at it, I'm grateful I don't think I can make it over then. I ride A LOT and I'm not sure I would want to commit to that ride! :eek: :cry:

**EDIT** That's it, I get back from Girona on the 21st Oct. Your ride is the 27th... I wouldn't really want them so close. You say it's good riding in your area though, right? Might pop over and see you at some point :cool: Or maybe Granada.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a definite and unsure if intense summer heat is the dream, but my parents *might* be back in the UK August/September. If you can work remotely it could be ideal. Nothing confirmed yet.
Yeah, just let me know. I'm free from 5th Aug to 11th Sept.

Gee. Thanks for the confidence builder!
Ha ha, you'll be fine. As you've said, you have the stamina, you just need to get used to those long rides in the saddle... oh, and the climbs!

Soldato
I’d say I was until the last horrific half hour.
I’ve done about 2 rides a similar duration before but obviously with much more stopping and didn’t feel that level of discomfort/fatigue.

Realistically it’s good as it shows me what I need to work on and I just need to keep building up. Probably try and concentrate on more 2-3hr rides to get my body adapted and then push on again.

Not sure what is best. Try and nail the distance on flattish terrain (still would end up ~1200m ascent) and then throw in more hill work or whether I just try and combine increasing distance and hills together.

Seriously solid effort though! The next one will only be easier, right? How long is the actual race distance?

A friend who I had been pestering to buy a bike recently came out with me on the weekend. For better or worse, it made me realise how much I've improved at cycling over the last year or so. He was never a cyclist but an avid runner who does half marathons for fun so quite a fit individual so I had assumed he would be decent on the bike. We did a flat 50-60km and my plan was to stick in Z2 in accordance to my TR plan.

Looking back I basically did the whole ride in Z1 and even then I was going a bit too fast for him. I'm still a pretty weak cyclist but that made me realise I'm not quite as weak as I thought. He really enjoyed the day out though and as he's quite a fit person I've no doubt he'll catch up and surpass me soon :cry:

Soldato
It's 166km (100ish miles). The main issue is the elevation. I need to stop putting off specifically targeting hills. Seems that Sunday was my second most elevation. With the first still being a 50 miler i did last February around the Ribble Valley. I remember that being easier, but i think i was still carrying a lot of running fitness as it was only a few months after i stopped running long distance, i was also probably around 93kg vs 103kg as of today.

These are close and look decent/do-able.

Not that i put too much into Strava metrics, but it would be nice to get fitness back where it was on this graph! Least it's trending in the right direction. Strava seems a bit harsh on the forecast to plummet straight back down!
OEP5Y0n.png

Although looking at "cycling only" it shows a better chart of progress. Gets rid of those lovely periods of peak proper fitness :p

1sUaufR.png

That's good going on the ride. Coming from a more running background, i still find leg strength to be the biggest weakness, my HR is pretty much always Z2, but just don't have the power/leg endurance to make the most of it!

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Well thats wonderful. Took my TCR SL into the local shop to get them to look at/face the disc mounts on the rear of the frame because the brake could never be centred when the bolts were torqued properly and they have just called to say that the carbon on the top of the chainstay is not good and needs to be warrantied.

Just as we should be getting into some good weather I am going to have to strip and send off my frame to be warrantied, probably losing it for a month or more.

Soldato
Hopefully it wont be that long though, is that a worst case scenario? Am i being too wishful thinking it can go to a local giant store for a quick replacement?

@Martynt74 My strava 'fitness' has never been that high!! Prior to having our daughter I was low 80s. October last year I was at 10 :cry: think it's about 37 at the moment :(

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Hopefully it wont be that long though, is that a worst case scenario? Am i being too wishful thinking it can go to a local giant store for a quick replacement?

@Martynt74 My strava 'fitness' has never been that high!! Prior to having our daughter I was low 80s. October last year I was at 10 :cry: think it's about 37 at the moment :(

I fear that is wishful thinking. I messaged my local giant dealership about the brake issue before sending it to the local shop and they basically said I can bring it to them but they would have to send it off to giant. Sounds like they are just basically a reseller with a strong relationship with Giant. Its the pre-facelift model and it has a fancy paint job which I can't help but feel I am going to lose when they replace it. Really annoyed honestly.

Not only will I potentially not have a bike for ages but I have spent hours building the damn thing, it was expensive and now I am going to have to take it to pieces. Package it up. Wait for a replacement that might not be the same paintjob along with having to move all my parts to my old frame again.

Once this is all said and done I will have had to:

Take apart TCR SL.
Build old frame up
Take apart old frame when replacement arrives
Build up new frame again.

Grrrrr

Last edited:
Soldato

Haha i've been there, it's definitely skewed by big events. Look at the huge jumps on my long running events. I don't believe that a single 10hr event is improving my general fitness!

Soldato
I fear that is wishful thinking. I messaged my local giant dealership about the brake issue before sending it to the local shop and they basically said I can bring it to them but they would have to send it off to giant. Sounds like they are just basically a reseller with a strong relationship with Giant. Its the pre-facelift model and it has a fancy paint job which I can't help but feel I am going to lose when they replace it. Really annoyed honestly.

That sucks.

Worth buying a cheaper/older bike to get out on as a backup? Obviously never going to be as good, but maybe something like a Decathlon Gravel bike might be a good compromise.

Although i think you've got mountain bikes which i guess opens up "some" kind of option.

Reactions: fez

fez

fez

Caporegime
That sucks.

Worth buying a cheaper/older bike to get out on as a backup? Obviously never going to be as good, but maybe something like a Decathlon Gravel bike might be a good compromise.

Although i think you've got mountain bikes which i guess opens up "some" kind of option.

I've still got the old TCR frame knocking about because I was lazy and never got around to selling it. Its the wrong size but it will do for now. Its just all the faff involved in breaking down and rebuilding bikes thats really annoying.

Soldato
That's a really crappy situation there, man. Though, if I'm trying to be optimistic I suppose it's better you notice now whilst it's within warranty and you can get it replaced rather than have a mechanical whilst you're out and about and something dangerous happens?

It always seems to happen at the worst times though

Reactions: fez
Soldato
100% Especially if it's only for a few weeks.

@fez I was going to suggest using something cheap like the Sensah/Ltwoo//Ali Express style groupsets on the old frame as a winter bike? But then i guess you're waiting on parts being delivered which are further delays.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
100% Especially if it's only for a few weeks.

@fez I was going to suggest using something cheap like the Sensah/Ali Express style groupsets on the old frame as a winter bike? But then i guess you're waiting on parts being delivered which are further delays.

I am building up a gravel bike for a race I am doing in June but ironically the frame I bought (another Giant) is going back to the seller because they resprayed it and didn't bother blanking off the fork threads and the flip chip isn't right so the derailleur hanger doesn't fit properly.

Having zero luck with bikes right now!

Back
Top Bottom