Should I be worried?

Soldato
Their tool did a search after I entered one email after another. Only one, the one I've NOT used for months, showed that my home address had been linked with it. I only used that particular email address for ebay and PayPall. I expect someone out there from whom I'd purchased items held my email address and he was hacked or he just gave it away. Although ebay ask for a contact number in profile, I just entered a spurious one and touch wood haven't received a multitude of phishing calls.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

PS: With Windows Defender does it put items in quarantine the same as other AV software?

Put what in quarantine? ive not had anything harmfull that i know of my pc for years, stop going on dodgy website and downlaoding dodgy stuff? are viruses even a thing any more?

Associate
I think he/she/ it needs to chop up the harddrive then burn it and travel to the white cliffs of Dover to scattered the ashes.
I been told this might me the only solution.

Soldato
PS: With Windows Defender does it put items in quarantine the same as other AV software?
Microsoft Defender Antivirus (was Windows Defender) is Windows built-in AV and offers the similar basics, plus a bit of malware detection, as other off-the-shelf products.

are viruses even a thing any more?
Yes, you've also now got malware and ransomware to deal with (on the majority of popular platforms).

Soldato
There is really no point in paying for these things now. Many of them are walking a fine line of being adware themselves and are very bloated. Just Windows defender is better.

Malwarebytes was compromised and malicious code hidden in a few years back. Kaspersky is Russian so you can't trust that one but.

Last edited:
Soldato
Malwarebytes was compromised and malicious code hidden in a few years back.
Got a source for this? My Google-fu is failing me on finding anything to do with Malwarebytes having compromised source code/builds.

They did get tied up with 'Dark Halo' in 2021, the Solarwinds compromise, but it was limited to "a subset of" internal emails from what i remember - Malwarebytes had a blog posts on the incident but can't find it now.

Edit - For anyone remotely interested, blog post on Malwarebytes 'Dark Halo' incident - https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/n...n-state-actor-implicated-in-solarwinds-breach

Last edited:
Associate
This is why I use 3 accounts. One for pure one time sign ups with no intention of using again (actually a few new one this yearthough). Second for sign ups for good and services and third being personal email address.

According to that link first one has been "pwned" 10+ times haha. 2nd one 3x and main one never.

Caporegime
Sadly it will have to be upgraded come next year because of the above unless you want to pay MS the £69 a year or whatever they are planning on charging!

I may just bin it off. The entire PC would need to be ungraded. No way I'm spending 1000-2000 on something I use every now and again.

So wasteful with 1000s of pcs becoming unsupported.

69 a year is probably better than scrapping. Will have to weigh up the best solution.

Last edited:
Soldato
I may just bin it off. The entire PC would need to be ungraded. No way I'm spending 1000-2000 on something I use every now and again.

So wasteful with 1000s of pcs becoming unsupported.

69 a year is probably better than scrapping. Will have to weigh up the best solution.
Install Mint if it will do everything you need, that's probably what I'm going to do.

Back
Top Bottom