Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
I've relented and ordered the 32" 4K model.

Losing patience waiting for other models to release and this will be the cheapest one for now, so will compare it with the TV and that'll inform me a bit better if I want to stick with it, plus being able to do a direct comparison once calibrated with HDR performance and if I notice the extra frame rate performance or not in real time.

Associate
They're still releasing TN monitors! Asus released a 540hz one (PG248QP) late last year and BenQ Zowie updated all of their line up recently for their XL series and they're all still TN panels.
Off topic Just to say, I bought this a couple of days ago and tried it out, it's actually an insane monitor, but ULMB2 had issues for me, so returning it, but I was doing ok in Valorant, Overwatch and COD which is a big deal as my KD basically doubled using this display, so easy to focus onto targets as there is no motion blur as they move and you focus.

Last edited:
Associate
Off topic Just to say, I bought this a couple of days ago and tried it out, it's actually an insane monitor, but ULMB2 had issues for me, so returning it, but I was doing ok in Valorant, Overwatch and COD which is a big deal as my KD basically doubled using this display, so easy to focus onto targets as there is no motion blur as they move and you focus.
Did you go with the ASUS or the Zowie model? I’m really tempted to try one out…

Associate
Did you go with the ASUS or the Zowie model? I’m really tempted to try one out…
I went with the Asus model,

without ULMB 2 the monitor runs flawlessly for me at 540hz in gsync for me, but with it problems, if you do get one hopefully you have no issues.

If you really, really care about motion clarity it's worth it, beyond that nothing else about it is worth talking about. You can still use it for daily tasks but even a cheap monitor beats it for anything but gaming/reaction tests or I guess if you're consuming high frame rate content obsessively.

Or if you play Valorant, CS, or other games you still benefit from the motion clarity at lower frame rates also if you have ULMB2 activated.

I was running MW3 with frame gen with the monitor and my frame time latency was sub 2 ms, works wonders on this sort of monitor I gather.

Last edited:
Associate
New M3B103 firmware available for the AW2725DF: https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...g/0-VlV6WG8wK053REhEajNxRG93cmFLZz090/drivers

Fixes & Enhancements
1. Fix to intermittent screen corruption and image degradation during heavy graphical load.
2. Bug fix for image shifting.
3. Bug fix for OSD on PBP, Personalize and warning message.

Installed it successfully this morning, took around 5 minutes, but have not noticed any difference in how the monitor performs. For example, I loaded up Dragon's Dogma 2 to test if VRR flickering had been reduced but it was exactly the same.

The only thing I have noticed, and I may have just missed it before, is that the Display Info under the monitor's menu > Other settings shows DSC (display stream compression) alongside the Stream Info when using 360 Hz. I dropped the refresh rate down to 120 Hz and checked the Display Info and it no longer showed DSC being used. However, the NVIDIA Control Panel still does not enable/show the DSR (dynamic super resolution) scaling options at 120 Hz, even after a restart, so maybe the promised DSC on/off options have not been included in this firmware? The Display Info > Stream Info stats seem to show it is disabled at lower refresh rates but my RTX 4080 graphics card does not automatically show the DSR options as expected. I haven't tried a driver reinstall though but it would be silly if you had to do this to switch between using 360 Hz with DSC and 120 Hz without DSC just to use DSR!

Last edited:
Associate
Before this firmware update, my AW2725DF would flash a black screen twice after switching the screen on (whilst pc is on) but this annoyance appears to have gone.

Edit: Thought it had gone, but it just does it once now instead of twice.

Edit 2: Nope, back to two black screen flashes when switching monitor back on.

Last edited:
Associate
Hope you all have better luck with this - I'm returning my AW3225QF this monday. Top has the permanent line marks and there are large 10cm micro scratches all across the centre of the screen. Otherwise I liked the screen, but the way they package it plus the fragility of the panel means every single one will have this kind of damage until they put protection film on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive had my AW3225QF for just under 2 weeks and no issues / flickering etc - it does have some minor marks on the screen which can only be seen with phone camera flash so not bothered removing.

Soldato
Hope you all have better luck with this - I'm returning my AW3225QF this monday. Top has the permanently line marks and there are large 10cm micro scratches all across the centre of the screen. Otherwise I liked the screen, but the way they package it plus the fragility of the panel means every single one will have this kind of damage until they put protection film on it.
If you liked the screen why not just get a replacement. My 27" screen is spotless, any marks from bubble wrap they use just wiped off with the included cloth. The replacement would likely be the same.

Associate
If you liked the screen why not just get a replacement. My 27" screen is spotless, any marks from bubble wrap they use just wiped off with the included cloth. The replacement would likely be the same.
Just don't have the energy to go through panel lottery. I'll wait until people confirm they have screen protection film, afaik the March onwards batches should have it.

Soldato
Just don't have the energy to go through panel lottery. I'll wait until people confirm they have screen protection film, afaik the March onwards batches should have it.

Mine had protective layer like really thin bubble wrap not a protective film that you peel off like you would expect.

Associate
Mine had protective layer like really thin bubble wrap not a protective film that you peel off like you would expect.
Same here. Scratches are only visible in direct light. I didn’t mind the smudges on top but the huge scratches all over the center of the screen were annoying when the sun shone on the screen. As of march batches they’ve been adding an additional screen peel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same here. Scratches are only visible in direct light. I didn’t mine the smudges on top but the huge scratches all over the center of the screen were annoying when the sun shone on the screen. As of march batches they’ve been adding an additional screen peel.

It's crazy - Ive never had anything with a screen not have a protective peel.

Soldato
It's crazy - Ive never had anything with a screen not have a protective peel.
Yeah it is a bit of a weird choice. In the majority of case's the marks just wipe away with the provided cloth. Have to say though a protective film that you peel off as used the the majority of other manufacturers would be have been much better. Even if it just means that cleaning your screen isn't the first thing that you have to do.

Soldato
Been very disappointed with dell's handling of my return, they've had it since 4th April however the status hasn't changed. I had to threaten to involve PayPal when I got a call today saying the refund will be within 3-4 days, I asked for this in writing and it says 5-7 days now. Not keen on using them again after this, they claim it was a glitch but I don't buy it!

Associate
I've relented and ordered the 32" 4K model.

Losing patience waiting for other models to release and this will be the cheapest one for now, so will compare it with the TV and that'll inform me a bit better if I want to stick with it, plus being able to do a direct comparison once calibrated with HDR performance and if I notice the extra frame rate performance or not in real time.
Cancelled that preorder as I had 10th May + shipping dates, now they're down to 26th April

So I've ordered both the 4K 240hz and 1440p 360hz.

Easy way to make my mind up on what to keep :)

Back
Top Bottom