• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 5870v2 and afterburner

Soldato
Just picked up a second hand asus 5870 v2, seller alleged it would run at 1ghz with 1.3v using afterburner, card is working perfectly otherwise but i cannot get afterburner to unlock the voltage adjustment even tho its unticked. I did have a 460gtx installed using afterburner before hand, i uninstalled the nvidia drivers and also the afterburner software, rebooted installed the cat 10.9's and the newest version of afterburner but still nothing, think there are some traces of old nv drivers or afterburner software stopping it from working?

Any pointers or help would be appreciated

Soldato
It's probably because the V2 card doesn't use standard voltage adjustment, I believe it uses a third party chip? Have you tried asus smartdoctor, this might have been what the original owner meant?

Soldato
actually, it does work on those cards but you have to Manuel enable it
open msi after burners install directory profiles directory
and edit the file belonging to your card,

You can find out the correct file by opening msn after burner and pressing the I button for card information...

Example :

GPU1
________________________________________________________________________________
Display device : ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series on RV870 GPU
Display driver : 8.14.10.0779, Catalyst 10.9
On-board memory : 1024MB
BIOS : 012.020.000.019
GUID : VEN_1002&DEV_689C&SUBSYS_C000174B&REV_00&BUS_4&DEV_0&FN_0

GPU2
________________________________________________________________________________
Display device : ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series on RV870 GPU
Display driver : 8.14.10.0779
On-board memory : 1024MB
BIOS : 012.020.000.014
GUID : VEN_1002&DEV_689C&SUBSYS_C000174B&REV_00&BUS_5&DEV_0&FN_0

GPU3
Display device : GeForce 8800 GTS on G80 GPU
BIOS : 60.80.0d.00.03
GUID : VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_040F19F1&REV_A2&BUS_6&DEV_0&FN_0
Multi-GPU role : master

On-Screen Display server
Active client(s) : screen capture module
Active 3D process : not detected

You want to be looking at the GUID of your card.
then match it to the file in msi profiles folder,

add these lines to the file.

[Settings]
uP6208_Detection = 1
VDDC_uP6208_Detection = 46h

that is your voltage chip name on your v2 asus cards, once edited and saved restart msi afterburner and you should have voltage control ;)

Associate
:D thanks for that ViRuS2k. Been searching a while for how to do that, no more SmartDoctor.

Card starts on +6 mV which is a bit weird, guess thats becasue of the model.

Soldato
OP
you did ;) I posted this around the same time ;) however i got a access denied error when i tried to save the file, checked the properties and it wasnt set as read only....

weird tbh ive not really had a chance to look at it properly

Caporegime
Bizzare,
But, my proof I was indeed telling the truth -
1282654096.png

Older clocks however.

Associate
add these lines to the file.

[Settings]
uP6208_Detection = 1
VDDC_uP6208_Detection = 46h

that is your voltage chip name on your v2 asus cards, once edited and saved restart msi afterburner and you should have voltage control ;)

Can I get msi to control the voltage on my asus direct cu? Will that work or will it be something different? o:

it worked o: Awesome, can get rid of ****ty smart doctor. Doesn't let me increase it very much though, is there a way to raise the cap?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can I get msi to control the voltage on my asus direct cu? Will that work or will it be something different? o:

it worked o: Awesome, can get rid of ****ty smart doctor. Doesn't let me increase it very much though, is there a way to raise the cap?

Sorry you cant raise the cap same goes for v2 asus cards.

Back
Top Bottom