New Samsung S23A700D 120Hz

Associate
I would be grateful if you post up whether you get it working or not.

3D does work on Nvidia cards but I might be disappointed if I specifically got this for the 3D.

I'd need a few more days playing around but if your not "tech savvy" I dont think this would be the right 3D TV for Nvidia cards. Maybe once I figure out the settings it might be a little easier but time for some BF3 in 2d @ 120hz for now.

Soldato
3D does work on Nvidia cards but I might be disappointed if I specifically got this for the 3D.

I'd need a few more days playing around but if your not "tech savvy" I dont think this would be the right 3D TV for Nvidia cards. Maybe once I figure out the settings it might be a little easier but time for some BF3 in 2d @ 120hz for now.

I am more interested in the 120Hz aspect of the monitor than the 3D for most modern games, BF3 ect. However I was thinking that the 3D would make a nice addition to most of the other older games that play such as AoE, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, and maybe Skyrim. Did you have to play around with older drivers, or was it more of a case of just getting the games to work with the Tridef software?

Soldato
to the 2 guys above i have had 3 of these monitor with the same problem,i have used LG monitors for few years & not 1 single stuck or dead pixel,1st 3 samsung screens & all had stuck pixels (to me samsung is all flash but no substance).

I have had 3 previous LCD Samsung monitors over the years, along with a 37"(4yrs old and gets used 12+hrs every day family use) and a 24" TV 2ys.

Everyone of them are zero dead pixels.

I can't fault any of them, they have all been excellent so far, but the dead pixel though, was horrible to find.:(

personally at this offer price if active 3D was good like passive 3D i would have kept it even with a stuck pixel.

The offer price is quite exceptional, the 3D is a bonus for me as it was purchased purely for a 120hz LED.

Soldato
Had a quick play around, here's what I think so far guys:

First things first, as above gutted about the pixel, depends what happens with how the DSR/RMA turns out to be, depends on whether I keep it or not.

It's a lot smaller in size overall compared to my 24" monitor it's replacing, it's very light and thin along with the very thin bevels it looks tiny at first.

Setup was easy and straightforward, first install the driver from the disc.

You need to download 2 files:

1:
http://tridef.com/download/Samsung-SyncMaster-3D-Game-Launcher-TriDef-3D-latest.html

TriDef 3D 5.2 from here:

http://www.tridef.com/download/TriDef-3D-latest.html

1.Install driver from disc.

2. Install TriDef 3D (Samsung 3D Monitor) Samsung-SyncMaster-3D-Game-Launcher-TriDef-3D-1.1.2 (It won't ask but Don't restart(and test that Ignition, etc, work correctly at this stage)

3. Install TriDef 3D 5.2, but untick the "Run TriDef 3D Display Setup" box at the end of installation (Display Setup is not needed and in fact will not work for OEM monitors)

By doing this, step 2 will install the necessary license and set the display mode automatically, then step 3 will upgrade the internal Ignition/Media Player* components to the latest versions.

Media Player* so far it only plays games and view 3D pictures, all of the various movie's I launched, none worked at all , including online clips from Yabazam 3D Movies, with a license not available message.

By this not working, at a guess, the Samsung Tridef license is just for games/pics and you don't get the video licensce(afaik, you get it all with LG).

I changed the original instructions given for the LG to what's needed for the SA700, the original instructions are found here:

http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2136

Very bright compared to my 24", crisp and clear.

Tried a SBS mkv through WMP and worked well(once you get the hang of the power button on the glasses), you have to manually select SBS 3D in the osd well which is right next to the 'Power Off@ button:)( for me, keep switching it off!)

Games(all in 3D):

Launch the SyncMaster 3D Game Launcher and it gives you a list of games installed, you launch them from here to play in 3D.

You can manually add games too:

First game fired up was Skyrim through game launcher, and loaded last save, I'm standing looking into the College of winterhold main gates and WOW, stunning 3D effect, I was totally taken aback, only had a quick look around but, I wasn't expecting that!

Then Witcher 2, it's not on the list, but you just 'add' it by adding the exe, look on the list it throws up and pick it, as W2 isn't there, you just press ok.

Loads up and again it's stunning, moved around and it is quite weird at first but it really does add a whole new look to your games.

Lastly Crysis 2, add it as above.

Transformed Crysis2 considerably for me, again didn't do much but again it looked good.

The missus had a go and doesn't like it, 'hurts your head', we've seen a few 3D at the movies and she liked it but that was using passive.

After a couple of hours bouncing back and fro between testing 3D/OSD options, heads feeling the strain, hope it gets easier on the head or I'm one of the unfortunates, as I haven't really played anything yet.

Will delve more into it by over the weekend and see what it's like.

As it is I will be sending it back(dead pixel) and if it works out well with OCUk, then it will be replaced.

Last edited:
Associate
I am more interested in the 120Hz aspect of the monitor than the 3D for most modern games, BF3 ect. However I was thinking that the 3D would make a nice addition to most of the other older games that play such as AoE, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, and maybe Skyrim. Did you have to play around with older drivers, or was it more of a case of just getting the games to work with the Tridef software?

Then buy it! After a bit of sorting out it and working out what buttons do what my thoughts reflect tommybhoy comments pretty much.

Associate
Does anybody know if the samsung VAT back offer will stack with OCUK's 10% facebook discount? The facebook discount isn't supposed to be used with any other offers, but the 20% back is being supplied by Samsung not OCUK.

Associate
The missus had a go and doesn't like it, 'hurts your head', we've seen a few 3D at the movies and she liked it but that was using passive.

After a couple of hours bouncing back and fro between testing 3D/OSD options, heads feeling the strain, hope it gets easier on the head or I'm one of the unfortunates, as I haven't really played anything yet.

i agree,it gave me headache too + the 3D effects weren't near as good as what i've seen on my previuos passive 3D LG monitor.

this guy says Nvidia'a new light boost tech eliminated headaches & brought 3D effects back to live. watch his video

does sound like how active 3D should be but its an expensive upgrade for ati user like me who has to buy,light boost supported screen,nvidia gpu & vision glasses in order to experience it.

Associate
just got mine this morning and I'm pretty impressed as I'm also using a Hazro 27 inch @ 2560x1440. I seem to have been lucky with no dead pixels etc although there was some flickering at the bottom of the screen in desktop and whilst browsing. I loaded the driver and re-booted and that seems to have cured it.

I mainly purchased for the 120hz in 2D but look forward to trying the 3D when I have time to set it up.

To those still on the fence I'd say it's a steal at the current price...go for it! :)

Cheers.

PS No receipt on the box for me.

Last edited:
Associate
mine arrived today too :), its very glossy, its the same vertical height of the actual screen as my benq 23.6inch (or very close to).

no luck so far with random 3d clips ive downloaded, but it works well doing 2d > 3d conversion, tried family guy and a few other things. doing 3d in the dark is more comfortable as you wont detect the flicker so much. seems to work pretty good in a few games ive tried, but i need to check my framerate, might be abit low for 3d.

the glasses are more aggressive on the eye than the passive ones ive used at the cinema, and on demo's of passive tv screens

OcUK Staff
Hi there

For those without receipts check your packaging, it's normally stuck to outer side of packaging. If still no luck contact sales and they'll post you a receipt out.

Yes you can use 10% Facebook discount code on this offer and still claim VAT back from Samsung.

Remember Gadget show special price ends Monday!!!!!

Caporegime
Yes you can use 10% Facebook discount code on this offer and still claim VAT back from Samsung.

How does that work if the special price ends on Monday but the vouchers aren't being sent out until Wednesday?

Caporegime
I believe it's the extra discounts they added! only means the eyefinity package goes up by £10 which I can live with, considering the discounts.

Reading it again perhaps the 2 comments should be read like this:

Pause, take a breath....

So it's one or the other.

Soldato
Had a little play with my set tonight,watched some cars2 in 3d,very nice,then played a little race 07,in 2d to 3d mode i think,using the tridef software,my word,you really want to reach into the screen and pick one the cars up,they look so good,and playing around with the camera settings ingame the cars looked like they were trying to drive out of the screen onto my lap,lol.
Very very impressed so far,great bit of kit and super service from OCUK.

Since I've recently been posting in this forum I decided to check out what the latest monitors are being sold at OcUK. I bought my 23" LG from OcUK over 2 years ago, and for £199.99, just a tad more than I paid for mine, this samsung seems a bargain with 3D and 120hz. I'd love to have one. How does watching 3D movies on it compare to the quality I've seen on those demo setups in major high street shops with those expensive glasses, panasonic tvs and 3D blu ray players, is it pretty close to that sort of 3D quality? Will 3D work with my 5850 or would I need to change my graphics card? The frequently reported dead/stuck pixel is a bit of a worry though. No problems with my LG, but it's only 60hz and no 3D.

OcUK Staff
Since I've recently been posting in this forum I decided to check out what the latest monitors are being sold at OcUK. I bought my 23" LG from OcUK over 2 years ago, and for £199.99, just a tad more than I paid for mine, this samsung seems a bargain with 3D and 120hz. I'd love to have one. How does watching 3D movies on it compare to the quality I've seen on those demo setups in major high street shops with those expensive glasses, panasonic tvs and 3D blu ray players, is it pretty close to that sort of 3D quality? Will 3D work with my 5850 or would I need to change my graphics card? The frequently reported dead/stuck pixel is a bit of a worry though. No problems with my LG, but it's only 60hz and no 3D.

The frequency of reported dead pixels is no doubt high because were selling 100 per day of these monitors. By far it's quite possibly our best ever selling monitor which is because for the money nothing comes close. :)

Back
Top Bottom