• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Well I've posted in the CS forum, asking OcUK to remove the 2 x 970's from my order, and refund just the charge for those. I think I might wait until this all dies down, and theres a clear statement from Nvidia - there seems to be a large amount of people having issues according to loads of forums, and a fair few vids on YouTube.

Bit gutted, as the initial results of the 970 looked good, and was really looking forward to a 970 SLi setup. Due to costs, if I did go 980 I could only afford a single one.

Caporegime
Well I've posted in the CS forum, asking OcUK to remove the 2 x 970's from my order, and refund just the charge for those. I think I might wait until this all dies down, and theres a clear statement from Nvidia - there seems to be a large amount of people having issues according to loads of forums, and a fair few vids on YouTube.

Bit gutted, as the initial results of the 970 looked good, and was really looking forward to a 970 SLi setup. Due to costs, if I did go 980 I could only afford a single one.

The only real problem for me in this whole thing isn't the ROPs or Cache really, it's that the last 500MB seems to be pretty much useless and is causing stuttering in some/most games. If I'd paid for a 4GB card I *expect* a totally-usable 4GB card, not a 3.5GB one. Thankfully I went another way...

Ok, rant over :p

Soldato
That also happened to me several times, other times it just lagged like crazy. We have put my 970's into another rig and pushed Watchdogs to 3.7GB vram and it just lagged. Also Skyrim with heavy gfx modding does the same (runs fine on the same rig with a 980 installed). That's all the testing I intend to do. There is definitely a problem there and it is effecting gameplay.

is Dying Light worth downloading ???? only if you turn down its settings.... because even if it did work ok you're still close to the 4GB Max, which tends to rule out a 290X as well.....

this means we need to dump these cards soon, because late summer is a long way off............the 380X is no good for me or is it, because i'd rather have the 390X..........the 380X will deffo be no good if it's a 4GB card.

so this Krap cant play any of the latest games even on SLI 1080P, Nvidia have really screwed me up

we cant sell these cards because everyone will know, plus there will be far too many on sale, pushing the price right down, we've wasted 600 quid.

Last edited:
Soldato
I made a short video using High and Medium textures to show the 970 3.5GB VRAM issues. As soon as it reached 3500mb the game starts to stutter really badly and craps out.

Lowering it to Medium textures and it runs smooth as silk. I'm only gaming at 1080p. Should I not be using High textures at 1080p?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Q6jmg_qik&feature=youtu.be

Looks like the 500mb of slow vram is acting up. High textures should be fine at 1080p with 4GB, at least on a GPU with access to the full 4GB.

Soldato
Im just trying to lighten the situation guys, you wouldnt hesitate one bit if this was AMD :rolleyes:

Whilst I agree with this statement 100% I would advise dialling down a bit before someone reports you to a mod.

I think the situation currently speaks for itself with regards to the 970 cards and the silence of the usual resident Nvidia fans here not to mention Nvidia themselves.

Just sit back and enjoy the shoe being firmly on the green foot

Soldato
Seems like things are hitting critical mass, and this is the tipping point. I wonder what Amazon US will do? I saw someone notify Amazon UK and they pulled the product.

So much for people saying it's a non-issue at 1080p. It was bound to happen at some point in time, it's fairly easy to push that 3.5gb nowadays. If the last 0.5gb wasn't taken from a Game Boy Advance we'd still have a tiny bit of future proofing left. I was curious how Dying Light will behave but it seems I have my answer;p

Associate
The thing is, the cards work great for the majority of games behind us and probably for many before us but there are games like Dying Light that will use the 4GB so many of today's generation of cards are fitted with. I bought a 4GB card thinking all 4GB would be usable if needed and it isn't. I have since tested other high vram titles that work fine on a 980 and they also fail on a 970 at the 3.53GB vram point. I bought a ROG Swift to compliment my Sli set up, I did not think gaming at 2560x1440 would be an issue but it now is with some titles. My card(s) simply malfunctions .5gb before it reaches its memory threshold

Soldato
is Dying Light worth downloading ???? only if you turn down its settings.... because even if it did work ok you're still close to the 4GB Max, which tends to rule out a 290X as well.....

this means we need to dump these cards soon, because late summer is a long way off............the 380X is no good for me or is it, because i'd rather have the 390X..........the 380X will deffo be no good if it's a 4GB card.

so this Krap cant play any of the latest games even on SLI 1080P, Nvidia have really screwed me up

we cant sell these cards because everyone will know, plus there will be far too many on sale, pushing the price right down.

we've wasted 600 quid......about the same amount as a 295X2, so yes we should have got the 295X2 :mad:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.. To be fair those cards had rave reviews when first released, and I bet most games you played til now have been fine, and as you point out the 290x will probably suffer under the same scenario in Dying Light.

I'd say either keep them and wait for some new to come along, and then jump ship, or return them and either go for a 980 if you have a gsync screen or try the top end AMD cards, I noticed there's a 290x 8gb Tri-x coming and also an 8gb Vapor-x that should ease vram worries or go for the 295x2 although personally I don't like the cooler on that

Soldato
Ranger, do us all a favour and dial it down a LOT. You seem to offer these forums nothing but a bad attitude tbh.

Maybe it's just something we're all missing in the translation, or it might just be a cultural thing.

yea he's annoying me too, he's just trolling around here having a cheap laugh at our expense and right now i'm not in the mood

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom