** Corsair Hydro H110i GT Recall **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Hi Guys

I have had information from Corsair this morning that they are issuing a product recall on their new Hydro H110i GT CPU Cooler.

The reason for the recall is for something that is a fairly unlikely scenario, if the unit goes below -10'C then it will leak.

All of our stock has been removed from sale, I would urge any customer who has purchased these products to contact our returns team so that we can assist you.

Any questions, just post in here and I will do my best to help.

Rich

UPDATE FROM CORSAIR:
The H110i GT is only a channel recall any units sold to end-user that are fine out of the box wont be affected

Any OcUK customers wishing to have a refund on the product anyway, may do so as you will be within your 14 day Satisfaction period anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Here is our official statement:

As a precautionary measure, Corsair has recalled the H110i GT from our resellers for screening. Here’s some information about what this means to you.

1. We discovered that when some units are exposed to extremely cold, sub-freezing temperatures during shipment, they can leak small amounts of coolant.
2. This problem can be immediately identified when the box is opened as some users noticed small drops of coolant in the plastic bag surrounding the unit.
3. If there has been no coolant leaked in the package, the unit should operate normally and with no problems.

Though we have seen no failures of units during operation, and have tested units in a wide variety of conditions to verify they have not leaked once installed, we understand that this can be disconcerting. If you have purchased this product and have a concern, please contact your reseller or Corsair directly to return the product. We will likely not have replacement units available for six weeks, as the entire recall, screening, and remanufacturing process takes significant shipping time.

Thank you for purchasing Corsair, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Last edited:
Associate
are ocuk aware of any customers having this issue at all yet? i assume all current ocuk stock is from this first batch from Corsair?

Do you have the tracking on the current stock that came into ocuk, and is it likely to have been exposed to such cold temperatures during shipping? eg in a cargo hold?

Mine is out for delivery, so ill look at it carefully before proceeding if that is the best advice rather then a snap decision to return and wait another few weeks.

Thanks

Dan

Mei

Mei

Soldato
are ocuk aware of any customers having this issue at all yet? i assume all current ocuk stock is from this first batch from Corsair?

Do you have the tracking on the current stock that came into ocuk, and is it likely to have been exposed to such cold temperatures during shipping? eg in a cargo hold?

Mine is out for delivery, so ill look at it carefully before proceeding if that is the best advice rather then a snap decision to return and wait another few weeks.

Thanks

Dan

its mostly container ships afaik lol
and they can reach some crazy temperatures in them containers, low & high
doubt they can say for sure

Soldato
Things don't add up.
-10c is colder than shipping lanes from China to UK .. and most of Europe. No failures or leaks when used, only leaking is in package .. and only a few have the shipping leak. So why go to the huge expense of recallingl everything?

What are we not being told?

Associate
Things don't add up.
-10c is colder than shipping lanes from China to UK .. and most of Europe. No failures or leaks when used, only leaking is in package .. and only a few have the shipping leak. So why go to the huge expense of recallingl everything?

What are we not being told?
well if they've leaked during shipping I imagine that means air is replacing the coolant. to much air in the closed loop will basically render it useless and cause a cpu to overheat

Soldato
well if they've leaked during shipping I imagine that means air is replacing the coolant. to much air in the closed loop will basically render it useless and cause a cpu to overheat
"If" they leaked a lot, yes. But they are claiming that even if they did leak they still work with no problems .. so way recall thousands of coolers that they claim work fine?

Associate
"If" they leaked a lot, yes. But they are claiming that even if they did leak they still work with no problems .. so way recall thousands of coolers that they claim work fine?

I don't remember us saying that if there is a leak in the box, then it is ok to install and use the cooler.

If there has been no coolant leaked in the package, the unit should operate normally and with no problems.

If you open the box and no sign of coolant at all, then you are good to use the cooler. Otherwise, DO NOT install it if you see a hint of coolant inside the box/plastic. We'd recommend that you send the unit back to your reseller if this is the case.

Technically, this is a channel recall and not end user, because most regional channels have not received their inventory yet to fill in the customer orders. Although, some stores did get it early and immediately shipped to a few customers, hence why we have the instruction to send the unit back if they see coolant residue in the box.

Soldato
I don't remember us saying that if there is a leak in the box, then it is ok to install and use the cooler.

If you open the box and no sign of coolant at all, then you are good to use the cooler. Otherwise, DO NOT install it if you see a hint of coolant inside the box/plastic. We'd recommend that you send the unit back to your reseller if this is the case.

Technically, this is a channel recall and not end user, because most regional channels have not received their inventory yet to fill in the customer orders. Although, some stores did get it early and immediately shipped to a few customers, hence why we have the instruction to send the unit back if they see coolant residue in the box.
Where do you get the idea I'm saying it is okay to install if it has leaked?

Your quote of Corsair says
As a precautionary measure, Corsair has recalled the H110i GT from our resellers for screening.
But goes on to say
I
f you have purchased this product and have a concern, please contact your reseller or Corsair directly to return the product. We will likely not have replacement units available for six weeks, as the entire recall, screening, and remanufacturing process takes significant shipping time.
To me that means retailers are returning all coolers they have in stock. There is nothing there about "checking for leaks".

You are returning all coolers you have as a result of this "channel recall" is for all coolers you have received, correct?

Corsair goes on to say
Though we have seen no failures of units during operation, and have tested units in a wide variety of conditions to verify they have not leaked once installed, we understand that this can be disconcerting.
So why recall all coolers retailers have?

This has to be very expensive for Corsair as well as have a significant impact on their (and your) cash flow from loss of sales.

Why not have retailers check their stock for leakage and only return those that have frozen and leaked? Much cheaper than this "channel recall".

This is why I wonder what is really going on here. The "cause" (a few frozen coolers leaking) does not justify the "effect" of recalling all cooler retail stock.

Associate
But they are claiming that even if they did leak they still work with no problems

We never made such claim. Units that did NOT have coolant leak inside the box are OK to install and most likely will not have a problem.

This has to be very expensive for Corsair as well as have a significant impact on their (and your) cash flow from loss of sales.

Why not have retailers check their stock for leakage and only return those that have frozen and leaked? Much cheaper than this "channel recall".

This is why I wonder what is really going on here. The "cause" (a few frozen coolers leaking) does not justify the "effect" of recalling all cooler retail stock.

We'd rather take that hit from freight cost and such than to deal with a more expensive scenario - where customers around the world who'd unfortunately end up getting a leaked unit right off the bat. We then have to ask every single one to send the unit back with us providing a prepaid label for every unit reported around the globe - That is a logistics nightmare and a lot more expensive in shipping cost.

The fault is ours, it's only right that we do the checking ourselves to implement the appropriate fix.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any update at all as to when these could be available again to purchase....?

Thanks

Six weeks was mentioned, for the newly manufactured units.

Would recommend buying from somewhere where you can have it confirmed that it's new stock units that you're buying though, I imagine quite a few other retailers will still have dodgy units.

Soldato
Good point.

As yet I have seen it out of stock in all the places that I've looked so it should be from their new batch - or at least confirmed ok to sell old from the old batch once back in stock with the retailer.

I have now noted that one or two retailers are showing dates towards the end of this month for limited supply.

Associate
When the cooler starts showing up again in stores for purchase, I am almost certain that those units are going to be the new batch and are going to be problem free.

We have purged all inventory from all channels when we made the announcement to contain the issue. This is to make sure that all units that the resellers will get in a couple of weeks are checked and verified by us.

Soldato
What would Corsair's policy be (or any other manufacturer) if a AIO cooler leaks from the CPU block and drips onto the GPU....? It could fry the card in very little time and whilst the AIO cooler might well be replaced would the AIO manufacturer be obliging to replace a GPU which could be worth many hundreds of pounds...?

The above, and other reasons, has always deterred me from buying into them.

Associate
Leak issues are the least reports we come across with any our coolers since we start carrying AIO coolers. Although they are rare, they do happen from time to time. They are treated on a case to case basis with utmost importance. If it has been proven that the cooler leaked due to manufacturer defect and has affected other components in your system, we will compensate you for the other components in the system that had been damaged to a certain extent.

Soldato
We never made such claim. Units that did NOT have coolant leak inside the box are OK to install and most likely will not have a problem. .
Quote from your first post on this thread.
As a precautionary measure, Corsair has recalled the H110i GT from our resellers for screening. Here’s some information about what this means to you.

1. We discovered that when some units are exposed to extremely cold, sub-freezing temperatures during shipment, they can leak small amounts of coolant.
2. This problem can be immediately identified when the box is opened as some users noticed small drops of coolant in the plastic bag surrounding the unit.
3. If there has been no coolant leaked in the package, the unit should operate normally and with no problems.

Though we have seen no failures of units during operation, and have tested units in a wide variety of conditions to verify they have not leaked once installed, we understand that this can be disconcerting. If you have purchased this product and have a concern, please contact your reseller or Corsair directly to return the product. We will likely not have replacement units available for six weeks, as the entire recall, screening, and remanufacturing process takes significant shipping time.

Thank you for purchasing Corsair, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

To me "no failures of units during operation" is saying none of these recalled coolers have leaked when tested. If none have failed and some had frozen (reason for recall), then the logical conclusion is the freezing did not cause any leaks.

As for your dealing with leaks. Your website says and I quote it exactly as it is written there:
Limitation of Liability

CORSAIR SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, OR DATA (WHETHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT) OR COMMERCIAL LOSS FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON YOUR PRODUCT EVEN IF CORSAIR HAS BEEN ADVISED PREVIOUSLY OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Some local laws do not allow the exclusion or limitation of special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply in your jurisdiction.

Exclusion of Implied Warranties

EXCEPT AS PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS HARDWARE PRODUCT IS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED Some local laws do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty may last, so this limitation may not apply in your jurisdiction.
You even use all in capital letters to say you take no responsibility for any damage unless there are laws making you do so.

I much prefer a company that take responsibility for product problems without the law having to make them do it.

Back
Top Bottom