** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

P.B

P.B

Soldato
lol that is a good point but isn't it done by the manufacture which is selling them so doesn't make any odds ? lol

Soldato
Can these be classed as "new" if they've been unboxed and upgraded ;)

Exactly. This is part of the reason ocuk cite for not doing dead pixel checks etc. Fishy fishy fish fish.

Hate to say it but this monitor is off to a terrible start before it even goes on sale! Who'd have thought that from an Acer eh? ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
jeez, some people are just never happy! Look, Acer are performing a mass firmware update on all the stock to ensure it doesn't have the banding problem. Whether they do it or a third party does it on their behalf, it doesn't matter at all. It's still being provided as new from Acer to the resellers like OcUK and in turn supplied as new to the end customer. It's no different to if they take them off the production line, turn them on and flash the firmware before it's boxed up.

People need to get over it and stop moaning. At least the issue is being fixed before stock is supplied to customers. Be grateful

Soldato
jeez, some people are just never happy! Look, Acer are performing a mass firmware update on all the stock to ensure it doesn't have the banding problem. Whether they do it or a third party does it on their behalf, it doesn't matter at all. It's still being provided as new from Acer to the resellers like OcUK and in turn supplied as new to the end customer. It's no different to if they take them off the production line, turn them on and flash the firmware before it's boxed up.

People need to get over it and stop moaning. At least the issue is being fixed before stock is supplied to customers. Be grateful

I'll be happy when a company release a gaming monitor that doesn't have any faults. Think I might be waiting a while ;)

Come on Baddass, you've got to admit that if something has an issue that needs fixing before it even gets into the shops, it doesn't bode well does it :)
And Acer doesn't exactly have a good track record with their recent gaming monitors do they. Would you buy one, with your own money? (If you were a normal customer that had to play the panel lottery, not the review copies)

Last edited:
Associate
Delay......... :(

Although I thought it was very quickly fixed when Acer said that all UK stock wouldn't have this problem.

Well we can hope that when they take them out of the box and Flash them at OC that they do tests to confirm fixes they might be able to see defects like dead pixels and dirt behind the screen, coil whine ect.... maybe regarded as a small QC check?

I suppose I would rather have a monitor without the banding issue in 2 weeks rather then a problem one now.

Soldato
Well we can hope that when they take them out of the box and Flash them at OC that they do tests to confirm fixes they might be able to see defects like dead pixels and dirt behind the screen, coil whine ect.... maybe regarded as a small QC check?

I'd say that's the definition of wishful thinking, especially as they'll likely be doing this in well lit rooms and not remotely thinking of things like this. Short of smashed screens or obvious damage, and maybe 20 dead pixels in a block... I doubt much more would even get their attention... and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it were at the instruction of Acer to ignore bleed and glow. I've seen no evidence they care in the slightest about this. Time is money and I bet they will have instructed whoever it is that's updating this firmware to get the job done ASAP without delay.

Soldato

I think the perspective of many is (rightfully so):
  • The problem is fairly clear to see and consistently reproduce-able. The final stages of testing should have picked this up. Why should we be grateful for a delay to fix an issue that shouldn't have been there in the first place?
  • It's the same as taking the displays off of the production line, aside from additional shipping to a separate location post-import as opposed to an additional step in the production line.
It's not unfair to say that it does set a bad precedent for the quality of the product.

At this point I'm not that fussed myself, purely because I've been without a desktop and have been waiting for so long that it hardly matters anymore. However I can understand the frustration.

Man of Honour
I'll be happy when a company release a gaming monitor that doesn't have any faults. Think I might be waiting a while ;)

Come on Baddass, you've got to admit that if something has an issue that needs fixing before it even gets into the shops, it doesn't bode well does it :)
And Acer doesn't exactly have a good track record with their recent gaming monitors do they. Would you buy one, with your own money? (If you were a normal customer that had to play the panel lottery, not the review copies)

i was more aiming my comments at the people who were moaning about Acer opening a product to do the firmware update and questioning whether that meant it could be classified as new or not.

i agree it's not great that the new screen had this banding issue, although it's not unheard of for early problems to be identified with displays and then fixed (Asus MG279Q frame skipping bug recently springs to mind, also older screens like the dark halo ghosting on the Dell 2407WFP-HC).

Personally, yes, i would buy one of these screens if i was after a gaming display, i think they're excellent

Soldato
I personally think the banding is a non-issue anyway to be honest, it's a fault that will be fixed by the time we get it, nor is it any more of an indication of problems further down the line than you would otherwise expect from Acer (come on, it's Acer)... the biggest problem with this monitor is going to be the lottery you enter in to regards BLB and glow, problems which have beset this panel for the past year. Dead pixels and dirt seem to be less of an issue with the ultrawides, but Acer's XB270HU certainly fell short in that department. Overall, my confidence is not high with anything from Acer as a result, but time will tell as more of these get out in the hands of customers.

Associate
That's probably the best thing because by then you will know whether the consumer units in the UK are good or not.

I have the same problem as I am away that weekend that it is supposed to be delivered.

I cant really cancel the order as I pre-ordered it at the lower price and would be throwing away £££ :(

Back
Top Bottom