Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Soldato
Indeed.

What speed are you currently connecting at?

Do you know what your SNR values are?

If you're on an ECI cab you can forget G.Inp too, unless somethings changed in the last couple of weeks.... I'll go take a look!

I have both a ECI and Huawei modem and didn't really see a difference between them. Think i ended up going back to the ECI after buying a Huawei due to latency. Only reason i bought the huawei was because of the custom firmware.

I don't know what my SNR is with the ECI modem currently.

I was one of the first fibre customers in my area and got a solid 72mbps but that's slowly crept down to 54-59mbps since more people have been put on the exchange.

Not sure i really want to pay as much as £269.99 for a modem, would i see a healthy benefit over my ECI modem and HH4 going to a D7000?

4798085090.png

Upload can be more than this. This is wireless. When i had ADSL2 my latency was a good 15-18ms.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clearly you already have this router, but between this and the TP Link Archer VR900, which would you go for again?

Any experience with the TP Link?

I have been using the VR900 for about a month now, it's agreat router and rock solid. I saw a 1-2Mb sync increase compared to the HG612.

Previously I had a HG612 modem and ASUS AC87U router combo. It was great but I grew sick of the ASUS' unreliability, constantly crashing out every few days.

Soldato
Ordered the D7000. Is this a good idea given the ECI cab?

Don't really want to spend over what I'm spending on this and heard BCM chipsets are better anyway. Would my money be better off just getting a router and keeping the modem? I want low latency first and foremost.

Soldato
OP

Don't really want to spend over what I'm spending on this and heard BCM chipsets are better anyway. Would my money be better off just getting a router and keeping the modem? I want low latency first and foremost.

You can only try it. Every line is different as you know so if it improves it then win win. If not, You could always return it and try a different route?

Soldato
You can only try it. Every line is different as you know so if it improves it then win win. If not, You could always return it and try a different route?

Just checked the order and the price of the modem has gone down to £139.99. I can always send back if it's poor so will try it out!

My cabinet is probably a good 200m away.

Soldato
OP
Just checked the order and the price of the modem has gone down to £139.99. I can always send back if it's poor so will try it out!

That is what I would do. At least you can say you have tried it. Just remember to update to the latest firmware and give it at least a week to make sure all is OK.

To get stats etc from it, Follow this guide.

1) Download the unlock tool from here https://github.com/LuKePicci/NetgearTelnetEnable/blob/master/binaries/windows/telnetenable.exe
2) Place file in C:\Windows\System32.
3) Login to netgear router and click advanced and look at the router information block. Take note of the MAC address in there.
4) This point I made a notepad file with the info if I ever need it again.
5) Open windows command prompt.
6) Type this without the quote marks "telnetenable.exe 192.168.0.1 {MAC ADDRESS of Router LAN Port - in step 3} {user id- default admin} {password- default password}
7) It should look like something like this - telnetenable.exe 192.168.0.1 000FB5A2BE26 admin password
8) Hit enter and you should get a message stating Payload has been sent to Netgear router. Telnet should be enabled.
9) Open DSL Stats, And go to config page. Select one of the netgear routers from the list and delete the username and password info. Hit the play button.

Soldato
That is what I would do. At least you can say you have tried it. Just remember to update to the latest firmware and give it at least a week to make sure all is OK.

1) Download the unlock tool from here https://github.com/LuKePicci/NetgearTelnetEnable/blob/master/binaries/windows/telnetenable.exe
3) Login to netgear router and click advanced and look at the router information block. Take note of the MAC address in there.
6) Type this without the quote marks "telnetenable.exe 192.168.0.1 {MAC ADDRESS of Router LAN Port - in step 3} {user id- default admin} {password- default password}
7) It should look like something like this - telnetenable.exe 192.168.0.1 000FB5A2BE26 admin password
8) Hit enter and you should get a message stating Payload has been sent to Netgear router. Telnet should be enabled.
9) Open DSL Stats, And go to config page. Select one of the netgear routers from the list and delete the username and password info. Hit the play button.

Thanks for the info. Now need to remember how i ran a telnet from Mac terminal...pretty sure i did it with the Huawei modem but was a bit more convoluted than windows.

Associate
How well do these perform when bridging across wifi?
As well as any other device, if you intend to use this in addition to another brand this like any will need to be in good range of the other device.

Clearly you already have this router, but between this and the TP Link Archer VR900, which would you go for again?

Any experience with the TP Link?

The TPLINK has a more detailed (if thats the right way to explain it) interface, if you are unfamiliar with things like RTS theshold, IPsec, different PTM modes then id say go for the Netgear.

I have both a ECI and Huawei modem and didn't really see a difference between them. Think i ended up going back to the ECI after buying a Huawei due to latency. Only reason i bought the huawei was because of the custom firmware.

I don't know what my SNR is with the ECI modem currently.

I was one of the first fibre customers in my area and got a solid 72mbps but that's slowly crept down to 54-59mbps since more people have been put on the exchange.

Not sure i really want to pay as much as £269.99 for a modem, would i see a healthy benefit over my ECI modem and HH4 going to a D7000?

4798085090.png

Upload can be more than this. This is wireless. When i had ADSL2 my latency was a good 15-18ms.

On a ECI cabinet you will not see any significant difference between an broadcom device and an lantiq as ECI cabs do not have G.INP enabled. There will be probably a max of 2Mb difference if that. D7000 is around £150 not £269.

Latency is going to be down to line profile for a large part and the other part will be if you use it wirelessly or wired, wireless will add to latency.

At 200M you should be hitting around 70Mb or higher.

Associate
There are some very good reviews on the D7800, considering my D7000 is working well, no point upgrading just for a bit better wireless speed.

One thing to remember, the D7800 is quite a lot more than the D7000 for not much extra, so unless you really need the extra wireless speeds I would stick with the D7000.

Associate
I had the D7000 and had issues with dropping S/N over time (see posts in this thread). In the end it went back for refund. Been using the D7800 now for several weeks and it have actually given me a slight increase in upload. S/N is also behaving. Im on an ECI cabinet. It is also nice to get wifi when i couldnt before - range is excellent.

Associate
There are some very good reviews on the D7800, considering my D7000 is working well, no point upgrading just for a bit better wireless speed.

One thing to remember, the D7800 is quite a lot more than the D7000 for not much extra, so unless you really need the extra wireless speeds I would stick with the D7000.

I'm the same, its working perfectly for me too. Good to see that ardsar has now got a solid connection with the 7800. BCM for Huewai and Lantiq for ECI maybe?

Soldato
On a ECI cabinet you will not see any significant difference between an broadcom device and an lantiq as ECI cabs do not have G.INP enabled. There will be probably a max of 2Mb difference if that. D7000 is around £150 not £269.

Latency is going to be down to line profile for a large part and the other part will be if you use it wirelessly or wired, wireless will add to latency.

At 200M you should be hitting around 70Mb or higher.

When i said £269.99 i meant for the D7800. I grabbed the D7000 for £139.99 so it was a big difference to match chipsets. :)

My wireless latency has always been very good with a HH4 and not that dissimilar from wired, give or take a ms or two. Just wondering whether i should plug my PS4 straight into the router now instead of a switch to keep the latency low.

It's 200m as the crow flies but checking google earth for the distance the line goes it's closer to 375m. Does seem like in the last few weeks the speed has gone up from 54-56 up to nearly 60mbps.

Associate
When i said £269.99 i meant for the D7800. I grabbed the D7000 for £139.99 so it was a big difference to match chipsets. :)

My wireless latency has always been very good with a HH4 and not that dissimilar from wired, give or take a ms or two. Just wondering whether i should plug my PS4 straight into the router now instead of a switch to keep the latency low.

It's 200m as the crow flies but checking google earth for the distance the line goes it's closer to 375m. Does seem like in the last few weeks the speed has gone up from 54-56 up to nearly 60mbps.

Depends on the switch, but as long as it is modern decent gigabit switch you will not notice the difference, if you don't need the switch to plug all your devices in then why have it, if you have it am sure it is there for a purpose :)

Soldato

Or you could just follow this link, login to enable debug mode.

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug

the address being the default router IP

DSLstats config

Make sure "Requires command to enter shell" is ticked
Shell Command: root
CLI command prefix: xdslctl

Last edited:
Soldato
Installed without a hitch and now the waiting game for a week to see if anything improves or worsens.

The wifi is definitely lightning compared to the Homehub4...instantaneous.

Back
Top Bottom