halifax mobile phone insurance claim

HAz

HAz

Soldato
Basically I got a new Samsung galaxy nexus and had it almost 3 weeks now, and yesterday I cracked the screen some how when it was in my pocket.
Now I haven't had chance to update halifax with my new phone details as they have my 3gs on file still, and I'm worried if I ring up they will say they won't honour the claim for me Samsung.
I'm not sure weather I should update my details to my new phone then wait a week to make a claim?

Associate
Yes it's that clear cut.

With Halifax's Ultimate Reward account which costs £15 per month you get insurance for one phone at a time with a £30 excess. It's sold as if it includes insurance for your current mobile phone. Therefore if you forget to update the details when you change your phone, whilst technically your new phone isn't insured, you're hardly commiting high gain insurance fraud.

Just change the details on the system. Wait a couple of days then claim. You're paying for the insurance anyway.

Caporegime
Yes it's that clear cut.

With Halifax's Ultimate Reward account which costs £15 per month you get insurance for one phone at a time with a £30 excess. It's sold as if it includes insurance for your current mobile phone. Therefore if you forget to update the details when you change your phone, whilst technically your new phone isn't insured, you're hardly commiting high gain insurance fraud.

Just change the details on the system. Wait a couple of days then claim. You're paying for the insurance anyway.

Well on that assumption then, why not just ring up, be honest with them, explain the situation and see what they say.

Soldato
I have the same phone insurance.

I used them to sort out my sgs2 when it got cracked, was really quick... surprisingly so!

Basically I think they want you to keep them up to date with the iemi of the phone you want to keep insured. I'm quite sure its simple enough to change the details then make a claim :) I swapped my sgs2 for another one now and haven't updated my details, but if anything happens that's what I'll be doing.

Associate
Well on that assumption then, why not just ring up, be honest with them, explain the situation and see what they say.

Honesty with mobile insurance, gets you nowhere.

My ex lost her phone at a festival once, was unable to call up and report it for 2 days cause we all had no battery, reported it when she got home, they then would not replace it as she had taken too long to report it missing.

Soldato
If you do it and they get the slightest indication your facts aren't straight they'll haul your claim through the fraud team and your file will be flagged for all future claims. Be careful.

You're best doing as anticonscience says and just calling up and being honest, if you can prove you've had an upgrade recently they might be ok with it. If they're not and you've already asked about it then for the love of god don't call up a few days later having changed the phone details...

Associate
I can confirm that unless the phone is registered to be covered, they wont cover you.

I also have my phone insurance with Halifax, I called them up thinking I had lost my phone, but it wasn't registered with them.

The lady on the phone actually told me to see if I could find out the IMEI number from my phone company, register the phone, and then call them back and make a claim.

My suggestion to you would be, get the IMEI number of the phone, register it for cover, then make a claim at a later date.

It's not fraud, you have been and still are paying for the insurance.

The IMEI number confirms that it is your phone, it's not like you are claiming for a phone that is not yours.

Soldato
Id you do manage to get the phone covered and replaced by them then let me know your experience. I have only heard bad things so far.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
OP
I have the same phone insurance.

I used them to sort out my sgs2 when it got cracked, was really quick... surprisingly so!

Basically I think they want you to keep them up to date with the iemi of the phone you want to keep insured. I'm quite sure its simple enough to change the details then make a claim :) I swapped my sgs2 for another one now and haven't updated my details, but if anything happens that's what I'll be doing.

hi did they send you a new phone or was it repaired?

Soldato
Yes it's that clear cut.

I tried this with Orange a few years back.

- Wasn't insured, phone fell in a puddle.
- Bought insurance, went on holiday for 2 weeks (SIM was in a different phone during this period)
- Phoned them to claim, and they knew exactly from what date I had my SIM in another phone and caught me out. Ended up having to pay for a new handset (although this was very cheap anyway)

Was pretty embarrased, but I learnt a lesson :p

Soldato
It's hard not to smile reading your comment Tommy as I work for Orange and absolutely tons of people try this on along with variations of it. As this is with the Halifax I'd just register the IMEI today, wait 8 days then register the fault. As it's cracked and not shattered the digitizer should still work, phone should be OK until then.

With all insurance I'd always try to make sure to keep reasons they wouldn't pay out to a minimum because it's their goal not to pay. You just have to play to their rules.

Back
Top Bottom