Samsung F1 750GB slowed to a crawl

Soldato
Just recently bought this drive and everything was hunky dorey. Last night when I watching some TV shows of the drive they started to halt in mid-play for a couple of seconds then go back to normal. I assumed it might be just a Windows thing as my PC had been on for a few days. I checked it this morning and the same problem, so I did a HDTach and HDTune benchmark and this is what I got:

169kgf9.png

I've restarted a couple of times since, and when the PC resets it goes back to full speed for a few minutes then back to an unwavering 3.5MB/s with no deviation (HDTach shows 3.7MB/s, HDTune shows 3.5MB/s).

Any idea what the problem could be? Hoping it's not the drive. Oh also, motherboard is a Abit IP35 Pro, the drive is SATA and I'm using the onboard SATA lanes.

Soldato
OP
Aye, when I posted this I thought I'd best change the port and cable just in case. Finished that and just loaded back up and ran HDTune and it looks more healthy:

2nb91ea.png

What I noticed originally though when I had it on the other port than in the BIOS my main system drive and other slave drive both showed as being on the SATA lanes as "SATA-0", "SATA-2", but the Samsung showed as "IDE". Now I've switched port it's showing as "SATA-1".

Hopefully it stays at the normal speeds, I'll keep an eye on it. Unfortunately I can't backup the full drive as I don't have enough space to do that, however I have backed up the major things.

I remember something similar happening to my Maxtor storage drive once, it crawled to an absolute halt with about the same speeds and if my memory serves me correctly I changed port and cable on that one as well. Wonder if the bottom lanes on my motherboard are dodgy?

Ta for the reply bledd. If it goes back to 3.5MB/s I'll post back.

Man of Honour
Just recently bought this drive and everything was hunky dorey. Last night when I watching some TV shows of the drive they started to halt in mid-play for a couple of seconds then go back to normal. I assumed it might be just a Windows thing as my PC had been on for a few days. I checked it this morning and the same problem, so I did a HDTach and HDTune benchmark and this is what I got:

I've restarted a couple of times since, and when the PC resets it goes back to full speed for a few minutes then back to an unwavering 3.5MB/s with no deviation (HDTach shows 3.7MB/s, HDTune shows 3.5MB/s).

Any idea what the problem could be? Hoping it's not the drive. Oh also, motherboard is a Abit IP35 Pro, the drive is SATA and I'm using the onboard SATA lanes.

The drive has gone into PIO mode. Easiest fix is to uninstall the appropriate SATA controller in Device Manager then reboot and let windows re-detect it.

Back
Top Bottom