FAO: Microsoft Security Essentials lovers...

Soldato
vr-zone.com said:
Microsoft's Security Essentials loses certification after badly failing AV-TEST

In news that will surely have the anti-Micosoft crowd laughing and pointing the Great Big Fail finger in the company's direction there is news out today that Microsoft's security software package - Security Essentials has lost its certification.

I can hear the gales of laughter echoing through the Internet from all those people who love nothing better than smack talking Microsoft and its products following the news that the company's free security software package Security Essentials has lost its certification after bombing the security testing done by AV-TEST labs.

While Security Essentials scored exceedingly well when it came to usability - 5.5 out of 6; which included false positives and system resource impact, but fell down really hard when it came to zero-day protection where it only picked up on 64% of new threats in comparison to the industry standard of 89%.

Apparently its heuristics engine is where the problem seems to be, and which has been reported as a problem before, and the lack of a solid behavioral scanner, something that has increasingly become an industry standard requirement. On a slightly positive note though MSE did manage to detect 100% of malware that was three months or older.

The other areas that failed to impress the team at AV-TEST was the less than stellar way that Security Essentials handled the removal of "critical system modifications" with a repair score of only 3.5 out of 6.

As a fan of MSE it is sad to see, what was once regarded as a really good security software package by the industry, start this kind of downward slide. I guess it's time to find a new anti-virus package.
Source

Associate
I'm going to renew my Kaspersky software, I must admit I did think along the lines of well 'my wifes ipad doesn't need it?!' and now Windows 8 on my PC.

Do we need third party protection or not?!

Associate
Sounds pretty patronising, skip Avast or the one that has the pop up messages everytime you load up a sad waste of time pc that plays Far Cry well. Go for a free anti virus program gets you nowhere very slowly.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can try free online AV scanner like Eset Online Scan (yes company that makes NOD32)http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ ,seems to work fine even with Win8 x64,I'm using it via IE browser not found anything yet(it does do removal as well if it finds anything),online ones make a good backup for double checking.

You might find this roundup of online scanners review interesting http://www.7tutorials.com/test-comparison-what-best-free-online-antivirus-scanner .

Do note F-Secure Online scanner does not work with Win8,so trial and error on ones that do work.

Update: Eset reported a clean PC after full scan ,I only use Windows Defender in Win8 Pro.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Glaucus said:
At least post a decent article, which actually has one word of importance in it.

http://www.informationweek.com/security/antivirus/microsoft-security-essentials-loses-av-c/240142986

Anyone know if this affects the windows 8 defender package. The report only covers 4 & 4.1 any idea what's in win8?
I didn't see anyone else bothering to post any article at all, it was the first article I actually saw... be thankful I bothered at all!!

Better than letting you freebie users get owned for using crap anti-virus software, while everyone praises it all because it's free lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks at the original testing materials I am somewhat dubious.
They claim to be conducting zero day testing attacka to check the heuriestics engines.
MSE aparently failed badly on this score, yet avast scored 100%.

100% against zero day is a very very interesting figure.
I'd suggest flawed sample.

Mse score on this is very low, and will ned to be addressed, unless their updating process ismso stellar that they protect against such threats within a day. Which is doubtful.

Soldato
Used avast for many years and switched because was hearing good things about windows 8 mse. Avast don't pop up when you playing full screen games it never has done unless you switch of game mode. Avast free and the paid version are very similar you get the same virus protection but with paid you get there firewall and couple other little things.

The far cry part I don't understand?

Sounds pretty patronising, skip Avast or the one that has the pop up messages everytime you load up a sad waste of time pc that plays Far Cry well. Go for a free anti virus program gets you nowhere very slowly.

Soldato
Right, this is a perfect example of how people over react to a qualitative change (i.e. losing or gaining a certification) and practically ignore the much more meaningful quantitative information.

The vast majority of posters in this thread have jumped to the conclusion that MSE is suddenly no good.

Look at the table:

MSE Results Sep/Oct 2012

Link

mse.png

There is a 5% change in the sample detection rate of the "zero day/real world testing". For the rest of the results, MSE scores either in line or better than industry average.

Now, most of the recommendations MSE gets on here are that it's "good enough" and not many people argue with that assessment. If that was true before September, then does a small decrease in this particular test now make that untrue? Take into account MSE detection rates have never matched the top scorers for new malware.

I'm not telling people to continue using MSE if they don't want to - it's neither my business nor my problem. But for those who are switching away from the product based exclusively on the result of this test, let's be clear...

you are reacting to a 5% change in detection rate, in one part of one test, from one independent tester.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm happy to stick with Defender in 8 for now,light on resources and can get a free second backup check via Eset Online scanner which works fine :) .

Back
Top Bottom