FAO: Microsoft Security Essentials lovers...

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Chrome has its own sandbox and is completely free.

Sandboxie 29 euros + vat
DefenseWall £31.49
AppGuard £13.50

Good security & advice doesn't cost anything.

Soldato
OP
Good job people don't listen to you so called PC techs, who think they know it all, and think MSE is fine to use.
Amraam said:
****ing mental. Looks like destructive reinstall is not enough to reinstall windows fully. Turns out I have a virus called cmg.exe which is maxing out my GPU usage, and obviously starving it of power during games.

Killed it, loaded up BF3 and constant 60FPS, as opposed to 20. Boost turns off correctly once back to desktop. Man I would never have guessed it to be a virus causing this in a million years.
RetrogamerX said:
Well done mate:)

Good virus program is a must on PC.
Amraam said:
Yup Im using MSE, which until I thought was great. I guess it reminds me that just because my AV has not flashed up "Alert! Virus!" it does not mean that it has stopped everything. It obviously didn't even detect this stuff. Not amused.

Much better than battling with an RMA however! I'll do a full reformat when time allows!

Thanks all!
Check this thread >> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18471910

Last edited:
Associate
as most pc users are idiots anyway, it wouldn't matter what AV they use, if you get enough spyware self installed by the same idiots, it doesn't really matter what AV they use, they have there car serviced once a year, and leave the pc until it breaks, thinking a AV 2 years out of date is still protecting them.

most haven't a clue, and tbh MSE is as good as any other, it fails same as all do, as they are all playing catch up, programs only as good as the user who has it, plus the patch level of the pc in use, and also what other habits they have like house cleaning / ccleaner type programs plus spyware tools installed, spybot adaware and malwarebytes etc, most wont and never will have a clue, more work for those that do.....

Soldato
I remember a few years ago when I used my USB stick on a two week course,took the USB back home and plugged it in and got alerted virus detected(was using Avira back then) so there is something to be said about AVs that block malware and scan your USB drives right away etc.... when you insert them,using Panda Pro 2013 at moment and have USB/DVD set not to auto run,it scans USB/DVD drives automatically first.

Soldato
Man of Honour
MSE seemed okay when it came out a few years ago, but less so more recently? Sounds like it needs a re-write from the ground up.

Associate
Why wouldn't you run defender on win8 or another free unobtrusive AV?
As said above its another layer. I'm certainly not going to pay for an AV though and never have.

Copying a folder with a lot of executable's in from an external drive isn't pretty with Windows Defender/MSE turned on. (Best on Windows 8 with the graph) Just watch the transfer speed utterly tank even on current high-end systems.

Personally, for me, there isn't such a thing as an "unobtrusive" AV. Sure say MSE/WinDef doesn't bother you at all but it sure impacts system performance. More so than other AVs as MSE/WinDef is renowned as pretty much the slowest scanning AV of them all (see AV Comparatives etc.).

It depends on your circumstances though. I'm on a computer that only I use, with a fresh install of Windows, using Chrome with every web plugin (Java, Adobe Reader etc.) disabled bar Flash. I use an AdBlocker. I don't go anywhere "dodgy" or venture outside of my usual sites that often. If you are prepared to use NoScript you can pretty much go anywhere you want on the web without fear. AV just doesn't make much sense for me considering the risk : performance impact ratio.

There are many use cases (multiple users etc.) that pretty much require AV. But for me it's all scare tactics motivated by that thing which seems to motivate all things: money!

Last edited:
Associate
coming from using a paid AV product last 6 years to Win 8, I've yet to install the AV program (which I have a licence for). Win 8 & Defender is of course faster, and lets face it, Microsoft had to take the Apple approach of not having to think about security. But never say never! But so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom