BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
I've been testing mine with games like BIT TRIP Runner and some old arcade games on Mame like Sonic the Hedgehog (lulz). If I run them full screen I get mad ghosting which I never used to get on my old LG W2363D-PF: 23". Running them in a window is fine however. More modern games like Tomb Raider, Skyrim, Borderlands etc look absolutely superb.

Soldato
Worst in what way??

If you mean the Ghosting on BenQ that is the panel and not FreeSync it happens with or without Freesync..

If you want to start looking at numbers you be happy to know Freesync has better performance and more user features, Like allowing you to go over the refresh rate.

FreeSync
http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2015-03-19/perftable1.jpg

Gsync
http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2015-03-19/perftable2.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...hnical-Discussion/Inside-and-Outside-VRR-Wind

Keep in mind all this Ghosting talk isn't a AMD Fault!

technically it is AMD's fault

Nvidia force a standard

AMD got a standard introduced that they don't have control over and it's upto the vendors

That said i've owned several generations of BenQ monitors All with "terrible colours", "backlight bleed" and ghosting BenQ remains a top seller regardless of all these threads.

Perhaps it's the games most people play but in game I don't see ghosting it's only when i filled my screen with millions of alliens scrolling at speed that the slightest ghost appeared.

Soldato
On the desktop if you wave the mouse around I can see the black outline of the white pointer fade and "ghost" as it moves across the screen. I noticed this right after selecting 144hz for the first time, but any other time since then I dont even realise.

When I first got this monitor & before I had the current AMD 15.3 driver selecting 144hz caused it to strobe/flash blacks & the image sometimes white... so I set to the display to 120hz.... on this setting the "ghosting effect" is VASTLY reduced, basically not there...

So if you where to be overly concerned about experiencing ghosting this could be your solution... 144hz is a crazy high refresh rate and to expect no ghosting on an image that is replaced at that rate is probably an unrealistic expectation!!!

I understand selecting 120hz defeats the purpose of shelling out for a 144hz screen but 1440p combined with 120hz is a nice experience! if you find extremely minor and barely noticable ghosting is something you dont wish to experience then perhaps this is the solution!

I thought I was fussy!

We sell a lot of high end monitors and many people expect a lot for their hard earned cash it's something we've learned to deal with as a company. This is monitors it's always like this thankfully our sales figures rarely reflect the sole opinions in this sub forum. Perhaps some people are more tolerant. Who knows. I know I am but then I have come to expect issues when using high frequency panels.

AS with anything stuff has problems and some people are less affected by them than others.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

can you guys write down what games you think your ghosting is worst in. Thinking of buying one of these and it doesn't sound a deal beaker to me however i am just interested to see if its the sort of games I regularly play or not.

Thnx

*not bothered about benchmarks or test results like that, purely games

Soldato
none I've not noticed ghosting in any game only the blur buster thing.

I play

LOL, CSGO BF4, Dying Light Border lands and recently metro.

Games going to have to be pretty fast paced with high fps to generate ghosting imo.

Soldato
I cant even see ghosting, none in any games I've played and none in the UFO test, that's how it appears to me anyway. I'm sure pro tests and reviews might pick up on it, but to the naked eye, I can't see any ghosting or blurring at all at 144hz.

Caporegime
Think I'm going to wait for the Acer Predator XG270HUomidpx 27" FREESYNC TN 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red (UM.HG0EE.001)as I can't believe the lack of reviews of the BenQ

Associate
OP
Think I'm going to wait for the Acer Predator XG270HUomidpx 27" FREESYNC TN 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red (UM.HG0EE.001)as I can't believe the lack of reviews of the BenQ

Reviews will come. If you cant wait then take a chance like we all did ;)

Associate
none I've not noticed ghosting in any game only the blur buster thing.

I play

LOL, CSGO BF4, Dying Light Border lands and recently metro.

Games going to have to be pretty fast paced with high fps to generate ghosting imo.

OK Thanks,

Seems like it wont be an issue for me. A week until payday, I will see then hopefully one or two more reviews too by then.

Associate
Hi,

can you guys write down what games you think your ghosting is worst in. Thinking of buying one of these and it doesn't sound a deal beaker to me however i am just interested to see if its the sort of games I regularly play or not.

Thnx

*not bothered about benchmarks or test results like that, purely games

The more i use this thing the more i like it ,It dose what it says on the box its a gaming monitor .

I was lucky and able to spend some time in a shop playing (tomb raider) with a number of panels inc ...A Swift ,24" Ips/TN and this one even though i cant say what they were all set
up at (i did have fiddle with some settings in game) and before Freesync turned up, i did notice they are not all the same and the build quality of some for the money was a laugh .:eek:

Using one card 290x only, Freesync on or off i get no ghosting in game at all ,running two cards no ghosting .This is on a Beta driver after all .Bf3/4 Flat out on ultra settings ,Heros of the Storm maxed out ,CSCO maxed out .;)

The quality of the screen and the level of adjustment far out way a few issues with a bit of ghosting on the desk top with the mouse pointer which i only now notice because i started to look for it after some else spotted it ,and i think is no worse/less than it was on my samsung panel .:rolleyes:

I would happly buy this panel again reguardless of what Freesync brings to the party .:)

Ps ..If any one knows when 3d holagrafic desk top projection will be out please let me know.:D

Associate
It does not work. I contacted him via email as we tried to recreate it and test on the windmill demo, but he said he didn't think it was working after all.

Really, I also tried recreating shutting one core down to enable freesync to work but i couldn't get it to work either

Caporegime
yeah because I've got things to gain from being honest and potentially discouraging customers over my preferred brand.

+1

Also it's got nothing to do with the monitor being less tolerant, it's the user being tolerant to it or choosing to ignore it.

I'm quite confident when the review guys on here do the pursuit camera test then ghosting will be evident. PCM2 has already said BenQ screens are notorious for either leaving a trail with overdrive/AMA off or overshoot with it on.

I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend everything is fine, if you can't notice it then great, crack on as otherwise the screen is brilliant.

Soldato
I think that's it right there mate. I have no idea what ppl are on about regarding this ghosting, and I genuinely mean that. I've done the 144hz UFO test, no blurring from what I can see, the top UFO image looks absolutely mint to me. Also when gaming, just absolute perfection, can't see any traces, ghosting, and I play fast paced games. I'm not using Blur Reduction, I hate it, so have set my panel accordingly without it on. And I've also not used Freesync yet because of my 7950's not supporting.

I'm not going to read a pro review that might possibly show ghosting and think oh god this screen is a waste of money lol. For me, right here right now, what I can see personally, I would buy this screen again in a heartbeat, it's absolutely amazing. And that is absolute gospel.

Associate
I think that's it right there mate. I have no idea what ppl are on about regarding this ghosting, and I genuinely mean that. I've done the 144hz UFO test, no blurring from what I can see, the top UFO image looks absolutely mint to me. Also when gaming, just absolute perfection, can't see any traces, ghosting, and I play fast paced games. I'm not using Blur Reduction, I hate it, so have set my panel accordingly without it on. And I've also not used Freesync yet because of my 7950's not supporting.

I'm not going to read a pro review that might possibly show ghosting and think oh god this screen is a waste of money lol. For me, right here right now, what I can see personally, I would buy this screen again in a heartbeat, it's absolutely amazing. And that is absolute gospel.

+1. if anything that UFO test hurts my eyes its moving that fast haha

Back
Top Bottom