Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Soldato
Would either the G3 or G4 Play be a good upgrade from an Samsung Galaxy S3? GF has my old phone (S3) but it doesn't seem to be working properly, so probably a good time for an upgrade.

Thinking about either the G3 or G4 Play. She mainly just browses social media and take pictures of our little girl, so isn't intensive in usage. On the official Moto G website, you can get the G3 (8GB) for £80 or G3 (16GB) model for £109 using some discount codes found on HotUKDeals.

Only code that seems to work for the G4 Play (16GB), knocks 10£ off to make it 120.

Is the G3 still good value for this price?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
The thing I miss is the water protection. Everytime I put the phone down or it rains I keep thinking should have bought a 2GB Gen 3.

If I understand correctly, G4 and G4+ have dust and splash protection (rain, sailing, kayaking is fine), they are just not waterproof - ie. can't be submerged under pressure as there is no IP *7 protection to sockets and holes - even light submerging is fine - check this video out

Soldato
If I understand correctly, G4 and G4+ have dust and splash protection (rain, sailing, kayaking is fine), they are just not waterproof - ie. can't be submerged under pressure as there is no IP *7 protection to sockets and holes - even light submerging is fine - check this video out

Light submerging is not ok. Its only got a nano coating. its only splash-proof.

This is how this one ended up....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjb978rOWos
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF8V2yHC6wL/

The G3 had dust and water resistance. Not water proof.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its only been a problem for me once thus far, when I've come out a car park and don't know which way to go, you haven't travelled far enough for the maps to work out the direction your travelling.

Associate
Just got me a G4 as a little birthday treat to myself and much needed upgrade to a 6 yr old Orange Sanfrancisco/ZTE Blade and noticed on their site that it supports the fast charging Turbopower charger that they supply with some of their other phones. Just wondering is it a proprietary charger they make or is it just one of the Qualcomm standards that they gave their own hipster name to.I really would like one but on their website they are out of stock and £25 (ouch) and a quick search on Amazon just brings up the fag lighter socket one they do and some Qualcomm chargers (and vacuum cleaner parts lol).

Soldato
Two orange. I also bought 20 awg cables. Though one comes with the charger itself. I find the phone charges pretty quickly with a regular 1a or 2a charger. You mainly notice it going from very low level, it slows down the fuller the battery is. Think that prolongs the lifetime of the battery.

Associate
Ringing problem moto g when magnetic flip cover is closed

Can I ask, did anyone ever find a walk around or resolve the issue with the Moto G not ringing via WhatsApp or Google Allo when the flip case/flip cover is closed.

Back
Top Bottom