• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA Pascal cards hotspot problem

Associate
I am sorry but you are wrong

Ambient temp is the temp that surrounds the object in question - in this case your Graphics card

Ambient temp of a card in test on a bench prob room temp plus a degree or so

Ambient temp of a card inside a standard pc.case is the temp inside of your case

Either of you could be wrong.

Did EVGA test test the card "naked" in a test chamber heated to a certain temperature (30C ?) before the test started, or was the card installed inside a PC case that was tested inside the chamber ? The other relevant question (if the card wasn't installed in a case) is did they maintain the chamber temperature at 30C during the test, or was the temperature allowed to be influenced by the heat produced by the card ?

Anyway, it's all very well testing a graphics card under controlled conditions, but surely the best way to find out if a card is going to withstand real world usage is to test it in the real world. Install the card in a fairly poorly ventilated case and benchmark it for a couple of days in a very warm room.

Soldato
Either of you could be wrong.

Did EVGA test test the card "naked" in a test chamber heated to a certain temperature (30C ?) before the test started, or was the card installed inside a PC case that was tested inside the chamber ? The other relevant question (if the card wasn't installed in a case) is did they maintain the chamber temperature at 30C during the test, or was the temperature allowed to be influenced by the heat produced by the card ?

Anyway, it's all very well testing a graphics card under controlled conditions, but surely the best way to find out if a card is going to withstand real world usage is to test it in the real world. Install the card in a fairly poorly ventilated case and benchmark it for a couple of days in a very warm room.

You make some good points. :)

Like so many things in life, I suspect time will tell.

Trying to put this issue in perspective, as it's always easy to get caught up in the hysteria. I wonder how many cards as a percentage of those made, have actually had any issues? And what the return rate of the EVGA cards actually is?

TBC as they say..

PS. Thinking on it a bit more. You are of course correct. Without knowing the full details of how these cards have been tested, it's all pretty meaningless I suppose. That will teach me to post in haste after a few drinks:D

Last edited:
Soldato

Trying to put this issue in perspective, as it's always easy to get caught up in the hysteria. I wonder how many cards as a percentage of those made, have actually had any issues? And what the return rate of the EVGA cards actually is?

TBC as they say..

PS. Thinking on it a bit more. You are of course correct. Without knowing the full details of how these cards have been tested, it's all pretty meaningless I suppose. That will teach me to post in haste after a few drinks:D

Not many. I've seen one or two posted about having this issue but their memory clocked badly at max +250. Makes you wonder if some of the cards have a cheaper/faulty batch of components. The poster one page back couldn't get +200 mem. Be interesting to see if his card goes.

Soldato
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming review - Conclusion
guru3d | Posted: 7th July 2016 said:
Thermal images do show a very hot VRM area, though the components are in direct contact with a heat-plate there is measurable and leaking heat in the directly surrounding areas bit remains confined to that VRM area - but temps do rise over 95 Degrees C there which I find to be too high of a temperature.
Link >> http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_1070_sc_superclocked_gaming_review,30.html

Soldato
guys I would ditch EVGA, the build quality of my 1070 PALIT vs my older 970 FTW is clear to see, the 900 series EVGA cards had issues as well which were bad enough to cause them to replace the FTW with FTW+ cards and add a SSC line with fixed coolers.

Soldato
Micron memory by any chance?

Not sure. I have the 1080 classified rather than a 1070.

I've only tested in fallout 4 so it may just be the game/ my particular settings, it does not like for some reason.

Hope so its an expensive card. May just be unlucky.

Was just about to see if it would stretch its legs further in other games and try m.s.i burner rather than evega precision, in case that makes a diffrence.

May pause see how this plays out first and install the pads. I think I would be more parniod than usual if anything went wrong at the moment.

Soldato
guys I would ditch EVGA, the build quality of my 1070 PALIT vs my older 970 FTW is clear to see, the 900 series EVGA cards had issues as well which were bad enough to cause them to replace the FTW with FTW+ cards and add a SSC line with fixed coolers.

Was tempted by a super jetstream but they look pretty cheap. I've seen as new samples with wonky/bent fins and scratches on the heatsink. At least they don't explode I guess.

Soldato

Fair enough. Already read that myself. Though they do say in the first line of their conclusion:

"Aside from the VRM area running a bit hot we have very little to moan about today's tested test-subject. "

The question/s in my mind are:
- Are the VRMs temp wise running within spec.
EVGA would appear to say "yes"
- Is there enough heat bleed to cause other issues (IE. VRAM to overheat)?
Not sure on this one myself.

Once again. TBC

Soldato

Can't see that much wrong with the build quality of my EVGA 1070 FTW. Looks pretty similar to my MSI 970 gaming.

Soldato
Heres how stock coolers should be. No fancy pants LEDs or covers. Just bigger, better, much quiet fans and lower temps :D

IMG_20161025_164901.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this issue affecting the 1080 Classified model also ? Can't find any reference to it ?

I found a teardown of the Classified.

It has some pads in place on the backplate around where the gpu sits on the top.

Was trying to find some comparison shots of the FTW to see if it lacked the pads but the best I could find was bittech, which shows the diffrence in layout but not much else.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/06/15/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ftw-review/9

Layouts obviously somewhat different. I presume how and where it is effected by heat may be different as well.

Would be nice to see some testing alongside the FTW.

edit. Hopefully Evega will provide some test results and clarification as some of the press has been a bit ambigious.

Don't like having to play a guessing game with what is a very expensive piece of electronics.

Last edited:
Associate

TBC as they say..

I think a lot of us have done that once or twice ;)

And without wishing to sound like I'm returning the compliment, you make some good points. Time will tell, and there is no need for hysteria. However, it does raise a little concern when EVGA offer customers an optional modification for some of their cards. That's kind of admitting that there is a design fault, but without officially admitting it, if you know what I mean. Owners of these cards shouldn't have to worry too much though, as they are covered by a 3 year warranty. If there really is an issue with insufficient cooling, chances are a fault will occur before the warranty expires, and apparently EVGA have a very good RMA service. It's just a shame that EVGA didn't fit these thermal pads in the first place.

Associate
I'm probably going to order them just incase, but in the games that I have been playing, I've observed temps that are in line (at least for the core) with what to expect. I suspect if you are benching or really pushing it to the max for a sustained period then this might be more of an issue.

I guess people were just worried at the thought of something going pop, but in terms of real world testing (ie. Playing games) then its currently doing its job and not really crashing or anything except when I've pushed that core offset a touch too much.

Its easy to ride the wave of mass hysteria really. One of those times to be trusting I guess :)

Associate

I have to disagree with this completely due to the fact that when i was buying my EVGA 1070 FTW. I looked at most of the cards as I have total access to every card available due to who I work for. A friend pointed the Palit 1070 out to me and it looked/felt very cheap compared to the EVGA/MSI variations.

Yes I am miffed at the fact that EVGA seem to have messed up again with their cooling solution but personally mine (Touch wood) as been a monster and the coolest GPU I have owned to date. If the worst should happen and it does die on me then I can just take mine back in to work. And if they bring out a FTW+ version I'll be getting that one as a free upgrade I can tell you that much for sure.

All I am saying is don't judge any other brand unless you have actually seen them all in the flesh.

Associate
A friend pointed the Palit 1070 out to me and it looked/felt very cheap compared to the EVGA/MSI variations.

I am suprised that you found the Palit (I'm assuming you mean the Gamerock Premium version) looked and felt very cheap compared to other cards. OK, the colour scheme might look cheap to some, but when I took my card out of it's packaging it felt and looked very well put together.

I read a few reviews, and I don't remember anything being mentioned about the card feeling cheap. In fact, quite the opposite.....

http://www.eteknix.com/palit-gamerock-premium-gtx-1070-graphics-card-review/12/

Soldato
I received my card on 17th Oct, I checked the shipping date via the serial number and it's an old batch from July. This 1070 FTW has Samsung memory.

So it's one that is eligible for the thermal pads. It's still within the 14 days, would you return it and purchase an alternative card?

I just feel like these cards haven't been given the adequate quality control compared to the other brands which run cooler where the VRM's are. What do you people think?

Soldato
Mines just within the 14 days and I shall be keeping it.

It's been just fine. Though I have ordered the new thermal pads and will fit then when they come. More as a precaution than anything.

If I sent it back and bought another brand, it means taking part once again in the usual crapshoot. Could just end up with another card with other issues (eg. coil whine, not capable of running any sort of oc etc. etc.).

Obviously up to individual choice.

Soldato
I have to disagree with this completely due to the fact that when i was buying my EVGA 1070 FTW. I looked at most of the cards as I have total access to every card available due to who I work for. A friend pointed the Palit 1070 out to me and it looked/felt very cheap compared to the EVGA/MSI variations.

Yes I am miffed at the fact that EVGA seem to have messed up again with their cooling solution but personally mine (Touch wood) as been a monster and the coolest GPU I have owned to date. If the worst should happen and it does die on me then I can just take mine back in to work. And if they bring out a FTW+ version I'll be getting that one as a free upgrade I can tell you that much for sure.

All I am saying is don't judge any other brand unless you have actually seen them all in the flesh.

You looking at the picture or actually felt one? in the hand it is definitely feeling more better built and has a very beefy heatsink to the point it needs 3 slots for installation.

I also havent had the issues that my evga 970 had e.g. my games dont randomly crash on me.

Back
Top Bottom